What's new

Indian Navy issues RFI for CIWS

4 P15B (2 systems each), 7 P17A (2 systems each), 1 IAC (3 systems) > 8+14+3=25
This 25 is purely an initial order, whatever CIWS is selected will become the standard (gun) CIWS for the entire IN going foreword so the IN's future/planned IACs, LPDs, tankers etc will all be outfitted with this new generation of CIWS.

This 25 is purely an initial order, whatever CIWS is selected will become the standard (gun) CIWS for the entire IN going foreword so the IN's future/planned IACs, LPDs, tankers etc will all be outfitted with this new generation of CIWS.
So? Where does it say so?

Incidentally, I think India also operates Flycatcher with land forces.
k3001_13b.jpg

And was incorporating it into some of its domestic SAM vehicles (Trishul missile)
defence_trishul_20030630.jpg

Bharat manufactures the Signaal Flycatcher land FCS radar It is being used for initial tests of the Trishul missile
The Naval Institute Guide to World Naval Weapons Systems, 1997-1998 - Norman Friedman - Google Boeken

Sorry, say what?
Where did that info come from, how does it detract from my idea of where the 25 systems will go?

Last edited:
I think a missile based CIWS like FL-3000N which arms all latest Chinese warships should be pursued.

I would hardly expect India to purchase key defence systems from China.

Incidentally, the choice of caliber rules ot the 35mm Oerlikon MILLENIUM
5qib.jpg

That's Rafael's Typhoon 30mm gun in it's latest version, on offer via Pipavav

Millenium
Oerlikon_Skyshield_MOOTW_C-RAM_air_defense_system_Rheinmetall_IDEX_2013_Abu_Dhabi_640_001.jpg

I think it is not only ruled out because of the caliber, but also because Rheinmetall air defence is (afaik) still black listed.

That's Rafael's Typhoon 30mm gun in it's latest version, on offer via Pipavav

Millenium
Oerlikon_Skyshield_MOOTW_C-RAM_air_defense_system_Rheinmetall_IDEX_2013_Abu_Dhabi_640_001.jpg

I think it is not only ruled out because of the caliber, but also because Rheinmetall air defence is (afaik) still black listed.
Indeed that was the BEA Systems Next Generation Mk 38 Gun Mount, the Mk 38 Mod 3. Mk 38 is the American designation for Rafael’s Typhoon gun system.

As for Millenium, I noted the specification rules it out, without speculating on the reasons behind the caliber specification. It also means 40mm systems are excluded e.g. Italian Oto Melara Dardo with twin Breda 40mm cannon, and the Swedish Bofors 40mm Mk4 and 57mm Mk3 (both also via BEA Systems). Air burst capabilities permit the engagement of concealed targets, small, fast-maneuvering naval craft as well as anti-ship cruise missile. It also rules out Oto 76mm Strales/Davide, at least in CIWS role.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom