What's new

Indian Navy commissions 1st ALH Dhruv helicopter squadron at Southern Command

Why do pilots all over the world always wear sun shades? Style, huh? 8-)

Guys I have a suggestion for naval Dhruv. Naval Dhruva will not be required to operate at a height like Kargil. We can configure that in a manner that we may transfer some more engine power to rare Rotor (Do not know the exact name). The helicopter will be able to move fast.

If we can slash the weight and improve engine power it will give the Chopper a huge boost in performance. We can further improve aerodynamic.

Last edited:
Guys I have a suggestion for naval Dhruv. Naval Dhruva will not be required to operate at a height like Kargil. We can configure that in a manner that we may transfer some more engine power to rare Rotor (Do not know the exact name). The helicopter will be able to move fast.

If we can slash the weight and improve engine power it will give the Chopper a huge boost in performance. We can further improve aerodynamic.

I am afraid that your suggestion in the underlined part is neither feasible nor necessary. The small rear or tail rotor is called the "anti-torque rotor" and it has no role in pushing the helicopter ahead or faster.

But first let us consider the Main Rotor or the large one. This is the Rotor that generates both the lift AND propels the Helicopter forward as well as sideways (on ither side) or even backwards! All of it is done by varying the Rotation speed (RPM) as well as adjusting the Pitch of the blades as well as adjusting the angle of the Plane of Rotation of the Rotor blades or the Blade Disk. Which is a good bit of the business of flying the Helicopter.

Then what is the role of the small rear Rotor?
Imagine the Helicopter without it. As the Main Rotor starts rotating say clock-wise, the body of the Helicopter will tend to rotate in the opposite direction at the same speed. That is due to "torque". The Helicopter and its passengers will start whirling like a top!
So the Tail Rotor creates a thrust side-ways to counteract or nuetralise the Torque effect of the Main Rotor. Now the Pilot is able to manipulate its thrust and either keep the body of the Helicopter either in a steady direction or turn in whichever direction that he would like to head. The thrust of this Rotor i.e. its size and power take-off is related to the Main Rotor in simple terms. Can't mess around with that.

Check out Wikipedia and other sources on the Net;you will get clearer about Helicopters and how they fly. Its more difficult than flying a plane, in my opinion!

You really need to read up on aircraft and defence matters in general. I suggest you take some time for homework as Capt Popeye suggests and refrain from posting on defence matters till then. It would be interesting to know what you learnt in your time off.

I am afraid that your suggestion in the underlined part is neither feasible nor necessary. The small rear or tail rotor is called the "anti-torque rotor" and it has no role in pushing the helicopter ahead or faster.

You really need to read up on aircraft and defence matters in general. I suggest you take some time for homework as Capt Popeye suggests and refrain from posting on defence matters till then. It would be interesting to know what you learnt in your time off.

Ok Guys your points are Noted. Thank you very much for clarifying and educating me. I will definitely read WIKI.

Back
Top Bottom