What's new

Indian Natural Gas & Coal Reserves to Production Ratio

The Unmistakable

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I've a question for my intellectual indian fellows. I always had this question in mind, so thats why I created this thread.

My Question is regarding the India's natural gas & coal reserves to production ratio.

As per the EIA estimates, India has around 46 TCF of Natural Gas reserves while about 60 billion tonnes of coal reserves.

Despite having this huge number of reserves, India is still not able to utilize its domestic reserves at maximum level.

For example, Pakistan has about 25 TCF of gas reserves and it produces about 1.5 - 1.7 TCF of natural gas annually. But on the other hand India despite having almost double the numbers of natural gas reserves is producing about 1.5 to 1.8 TCF of natural gas reserves and relying heavily on imported LNG.

Similarly countries like South Africa, Indonesia and Germany are extracting coal from their coal fields in greater ratio as compared to India which is producing about 600-700 MT of coal annually despite having this huge number of coal reserves.

I would simply ask to my indian fellas, Is there some corruption involved or there is some powerful mafia in Coal & Petroleum ministry who doesn't want to rely on the domestic resources and instead wants to spend the precious foreign exchange due to their personal interests?

Looking for your answers guys.

Peace :)

I've a question for my intellectual indian fellows. I always had this question in mind, so thats why I created this thread.

My Question is regarding the India's natural gas & coal reserves to production ratio.

As per the EIA estimates, India has around 46 TCF of Natural Gas reserves while about 60 billion tonnes of coal reserves.

Despite having this huge number of reserves, India is still not able to utilize its domestic reserves at maximum level.

For example, Pakistan has about 25 TCF of gas reserves and it produces about 1.5 - 1.7 TCF of natural gas annually. But on the other hand India despite having almost double the numbers of natural gas reserves is producing about 1.5 to 1.8 TCF of natural gas reserves and relying heavily on imported LNG.

Similarly countries like South Africa, Indonesia and Germany are extracting coal from their coal fields in greater ratio as compared to India which is producing about 600-700 MT of coal annually despite having this huge number of coal reserves.

I would simply ask to my indian fellas, Is there some corruption involved or there is some powerful mafia in Coal & Petroleum ministry who doesn't want to rely on the domestic resources and instead wants to spend the precious foreign exchange due to their personal interests?

In India extraction of resources is a difficult one as it involves lot of procedures and many hurdles like

a. Judiciary interference
b. Political Intervention
c. Peoples non co-operation for acquiring land and relocating
d. NGOs protests
e. Environmental issues

Many of the MNCs will not take the risk of getting involved in all above issues and further, delay in the projects will inturn also create economically projects nonprofitable.

In Pakistan it is more about the success ratio of gas exploration, every third field explored produces gas, the world standard is every 10 field,

http://dunyanews.tv/en/Pakistan/370484-Pakistan-ranks-first-in-discovery-of-gas-reserves

Also...
  • According to the United States Energy Information Administration (EIA), Pakistan may have over 9 billion barrels of petroleum oil and 105 trillion cubic feet in shale oil and natural gas reserves.

It is also about economies of scale...many of the gas discoveries are small and scattered, making the somehow unviable.

"The small fields were discovered long ago, but the discoveries could not be monetised due to various reasons such as isolated locations, small size of reserves and high development costs."

Read this report.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/small-fields-big-concerns/article17411547.ece

There have been scams on coal mining. the petroluem/natural gas is the hands of ONGC (state oil company) unless something changed recently

In India extraction of resources is a difficult one as it involves lot of procedures and many hurdles like

a. Judiciary interference
b. Political Intervention
c. Peoples non co-operation for acquiring land and relocating
d. NGOs protests
e. Environmental issues

Many of the MNCs will not take the risk of getting involved in all above issues and further, delay in the projects will inturn also create economically projects nonprofitable.

3 years of Modi.
Why is he incapable of this?

In Pakistan it is more about the success ratio of gas exploration, every third field explored produces gas, the world standard is every 10 field,

http://dunyanews.tv/en/Pakistan/370484-Pakistan-ranks-first-in-discovery-of-gas-reserves

Also...
  • According to the United States Energy Information Administration (EIA), Pakistan may have over 9 billion barrels of petroleum oil and 105 trillion cubic feet in shale oil and natural gas reserves.

It is also about economies of scale...many of the gas discoveries are small and scattered, making the somehow unviable.

"The small fields were discovered long ago, but the discoveries could not be monetised due to various reasons such as isolated locations, small size of reserves and high development costs."

Read this report.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/small-fields-big-concerns/article17411547.ece

Pakistan has on shore reserves.
India has off shore reserves where it is more difficult to extract gas.

But why I am in a Indian defense forum?

• Most of the coal reserve areas are protected tribal lands!
  • Most of the reserves are of high ash and sulphur variety which makes it not viable because of environment regulation.
  • India's coal production has declined because of the push to Renewables and this trend will continue.
  • Natural Gas in India accounts for 6% of the total energy mix as we have only limited users.40% of all the gas is used in fertiliser production and only 25 GW of power is produced by gas-based plants (Renewables account for 57 GW).

lol try procuring land in India for mining or anything. Jholawalas and lefties will be all over you with their 'haay haay'...soon a court stay-order will follow and there goes your project in the bin.

It is not just about facing the issues from court and local people. If the Govt is willing to implement the projects for the sake of their national interest and utilizing their domestic resources at maximum level, then everything is achievable. But it looks a different case in India. Despite having vast land area and proven domestic resources, the imports are increasing continuously whether its Crude Oil, LNG or Coal.

I would like to tell you that its a different case here in Pakistan. The companies are freely mining, drilling the wells for oil and gas without any disruption from locals or bureaucracy and thats a big reason for highest success ratio of finding the new reserves out of every 3 drilled wells.

What I personally feel, there might be some politicians and oil & gas mafia sitting in the petroleum and coal ministry of India who doesn't want or aim to become self-sufficient at least in those resources which you can produce completely at your own to fulfill your requirement.

Someone said above that Natural Gas accounts for only 6% of energy production in India then why India is importing the LNG? If you can get something within your own home. So thats a question mark.

Country like Norway and India have almost equal oil reserves, but Norway's daily oil production is almost 2 million barrels per day while India produces less than a million barrel still. Whether it is due to outdated technology or whatever. But it seems quite strange for me.

If that would have been the case in Pakistan, we would have been utilizing our domestic resources at maximum level like we did with our Natural Gas reserves and despite having only 400 million barrels of oil reserves, we are producing about 100,000 barrels per day of oil. So Pakistan is really good in reserves to production ratio in comparison.

It is not just about facing the issues from court and local people. If the Govt is willing to implement the projects for the sake of their national interest and utilizing their domestic resources at maximum level, then everything is achievable. But it looks a different case in India. Despite having vast land area and proven domestic resources, the imports are increasing continuously whether its Crude Oil, LNG or Coal.

I would like to tell you that its a different case here in Pakistan. The companies are freely mining, drilling the wells for oil and gas without any disruption from locals or bureaucracy and thats a big reason for highest success ratio of finding the new reserves out of every 3 drilled wells.

What I personally feel, there might be some politicians and oil & gas mafia sitting in the petroleum and coal ministry of India who doesn't want or aim to become self-sufficient at least in those resources which you can produce completely at your own to fulfill your requirement.

Someone said above that Natural Gas accounts for only 6% of energy production in India then why India is importing the LNG? If you can get something within your own home. So thats a question mark.

Country like Norway and India have almost equal oil reserves, but Norway's daily oil production is almost 2 million barrels per day while India produces less than a million barrel still. Whether it is due to outdated technology or whatever. But it seems quite strange for me.

If that would have been the case in Pakistan, we would have been utilizing our domestic resources at maximum level like we did with our Natural Gas reserves and despite having only 400 million barrels of oil reserves, we are producing about 100,000 barrels per day of oil. So Pakistan is really good in reserves to production ratio in comparison.
we are lacking in this area. Nice write up.

The main factor is economics- Oil is cheap, coal is also cheap- So mining gas and coal from main land India comes costlier than importing them from outside-

Improvement in Freight rail transport, inland water ways, pipeline connections can solve this- But that would require Huge investments- for which there isn't enough money with the Government and private players don't see benefits-

Off shore gas reserves will be developed faster in India since the existing infrastructure makes It less costly-

All depends heavily on current oil prices and the $$$+technology which are to come from Paris deal- If oil prices increase and $$$ dies up- India will be forced to invest in local resources-

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom