What's new

Indian Missiles - News, Developments, Tests, and Discussions

The Agni I has a range of 700-800 km while the Agni-II has a range of 2,000–2,500 km. They are claimed to be a part of the "credible deterrence" against China and Pakistan. The Agni-II can only reach most parts of western, central and southern China. With the successful test of Agni-III which has a range of 3500 km, it falls within the reach of most major Chinese cities, including Beijing and Shanghai.

And Agni 5 with 5000 KM will cover whole of china ...so i honestly don't see any reason to develop and ICBM because Agni 5 is alsmost at that range....Secondly the range of these missiles is inversely proportional to payload...so i am not sure why we need a specific ICBM to the likes of US, Russia, China etc...

haha do it, thats the only thing keeping us back from making one of our own

or maybe thats whats keeping india back from making one of their own ;)

Not sure because

a) We both don't need one...
b) We both still are developing economies and need western world
c) We both have difference threat perceptions and thus different needs....Let me explain...

India's threat perception is different from Pakistan's.... You only have to worry about India ..we have to worry about both Pakistan and China....We need higher range to strike deep in China and Agni 5 is one such missile that is already in development mode....Care to exaplain why would you need a 5000 KM missile to strike deep into India???? Because your current capabilities cover almost all of India....
Therefore developing such a missile is nothing but wastaing valuable and scarce resources....India as a bigger economy can afford to do that but Pakistan immediate needs is to increase her missile arsenal(BM, CM, MIRV) and much more because in 5 years from now we would have a very potent BMD system in place....

Writer - MR Brahma Chellaney is very renowned person , i have great respect for him, one of the few brilliant expert out there -

But on this i think , he has got carried away.
In seminars i attended He, Uday Bhaskar , Mahroof Raza are the few ones who have said - how unimportant ICBM is to india at this stage .
I think this reaction is more bcoz of growing influence of china , and chinese flexing their muscle power everyday.
Our media has done no less to multiply it further- recent article china taking some part of indian territory etc.

What he is forgetting - If we are not given status of superpower , just by developing ICBM in one night wont change that , its not a Magic wand of Harry Potter that will give us that status in 1 day.

No doubt ICBM will create even more arms race and tension in south-east asia.

I think time has not yet come for India to flex its position and go Bang-Bang in world saying - we have arrived .
Let China do this at this moment , our time will come in future and we will define the respect that this region deserves .

At this stage india don't need an ICBM...

1)indian economy is in the fast track,and the govt don't want to brake on it by inviting economic sanctions from many countries.

2) i don't think apart from our two beloved neighbours,there is any serious enemy.(Agni 5 is enough for both of them):coffee:

india has the capabilities to develop ICBM & if needed in future we will make it....

Guys, India needs an ICBM. Mainly as DETERRENT against China. Our nuclear arsenal will be next to useless if it cant prevent a war.

Think about it. The only thing that stopped USA and Russia going to world war 3 is....assurance of mutual destruction. While USA and USSR had the capability to wipe out each other, and all of humanity, at the end of the day their nuclear arsenals saved millions of lives that would have been lost if even a conventional war had broken out. It is the same in India-China case. We should make a situation such that neither can afford to go to war with each other.

But our ICBM program should not be China-specific. As we all know in international politics, friends and enemies change. Our friends today maybe our enemies tomorrow. especially as our influence grows it is inevitable that our friends and enemies change. No longer will India be a regional player, but a global player. So we will global influence and interests. And we need the ability to safeguard our global interests.

Look at Pakistan. They were forced into the war on terror by USA. Would USA have done that if Pakistan had the ability to hit US cities. No! We dont want to be in that position. EVER

We need a real credible nuclear deterrence. Not because we want to kill, but because we want to prevent war and save lives.

Look at Pakistan. They were forced into the war on terror by USA. Would USA have done that if Pakistan had the ability to hit US cities. No! We dont want to be in that position. EVER

We need a real credible nuclear deterrence. Not because we want to kill, but because we want to prevent war and save lives.

Well, US didn't force Pakistan to do anything. Its in Pakistan's interest to fight against the terrorists. If Pakistan is a responsible country, it would fight against global terror even if it has ICBMs. Are you saying if India has ICBMs, then Indian policy toward the US would be different? I do not think so.

Can any erudite member shed light on how is the indigenious crygenic engine going to improve the efficiency and range of our long range missiles,if indeed its gonna be shared with DRDO by ISRO.

Are you saying if India has ICBMs, then Indian policy toward the US would be different? I do not think so.

Definitely it would be different, especially in the long run. Look at Russia and China. USA doesn't mess with them. In 1971, US carrier was there in Indian ocean, putting pressure on us. That wouldnt have happened if we had ICBMs and nukes then.

And i repeat, ICBMs need not be for USA alone. For all we know, in the future some other country might be our enemy. Say Russia ( I sincerely hope not). Or another new nuclear power (like North Korea). Our policy has to be pragmatic enough to handle all current and future threats.

Well, US didn't force Pakistan to do anything. Its in Pakistan's interest to fight against the terrorists. If Pakistan is a responsible country, it would fight against global terror even if it has ICBMs.

Yes it is Pakistan's interest to remove the cancer of terrorism, but you have to admit that US did force Pakistan. Pakistan did into have the option to say no.

Also, look at how US drones come in and strike inside Pakistan. Yes, they do kill terrorists, but sometimes civillians are also killed. And it is a breach of Pakistan's sovereignty.

We Indians don't want a situation like that in India. Our forefathers fought and died to give us independence. On the 15th of August 1947, as the Indian flag rose, we Indians made a promise to ourselves: never again will we compromise our sovereignity. We will not let the blood of our forefathers have been shed in vain.

Last edited:
Agni-3 is already an ICBM. If it can carry 2500 kg upto 3500 km away than it can surely carry 1000 kg more than 6000 km away. Agni-5 is much better and advanced. We just need to label them as ICBM, that GoI doesn't want.

Agni-3 is already an ICBM. If it can carry 2500 kg upto 3500 km away than it can surely carry 1000 kg more than 6000 km away. Agni-5 is much better and advanced. We just need to label them as ICBM, that GoI doesn't want.

Bingo!!....you nailed it. India does not need land based missile of any more range. Submarines would do the job if required.

The call of hour is to make our missiles more potent and lethel. Also SLBM should be improved both in terms of reach and quality. Submarine count should also be inhanced accordingly.

Fortunately GoI has started on these aspect.

Just same old paranoia .... weapons weapons .. :rolleyes:

What will this one do circle the planet and then strike Delhi , excuse me I meant forest in China

Agreed , i completely share same feeling.
Next thing we will hear from Fanboyz - India should get Bullava missile on its Arihant / Akula .
And world would fear the superpower INDIA.

Everone is on high - No one sees what we require now , and what in future. Go bang-bang and get 20000km range:toast_sign:

Back
Top Bottom