What's new

Indian Missiles - News, Developments, Tests, and Discussions

In a crucial technological accomplishment, a simulated canister-based launch of a dummy missile weighing 50 tonnes was successfully carried out by scientists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) recently.

With the success of the “Missile Ejection Test” (MET), DRDO missile technologists are gearing up to conduct the first canister-based test-firing of 5,000-plus km range nuclear weapons-capable Inter Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) Agni-V in March-April, 2014.

“We were able to launch canister launch system for the first time”, a top DRDO scientist told The Hindu. All parameters were achieved and the hardware and software applications for the simulated launch were tested. They included the launcher, canister interfacing with other elements. An important aspect was to keep the sealing intact between the missile and gas generator when the latter provided the thrust and ejected the system at high temperatures.

Missile exit velocity, inter-locking of instruments, sensors functioning and the subsequent sequencing of events were some of the crucial objectives that were met successfully. As the missile got ejected from the canister, sensors gave the signal to the computer to commence commands for subsequent events such as igniting the missile’s first stage.

Another top missile technologist, who is closely involved with Agni-V mission, described the MET success as a “very important milestone and a prelude to the main launch.” It laid the foundation and provided core competence to the DRDO for the canister launch system.

India joined an elite club of nations that possess the ICBM launch capability when the maiden test-firing of Agni-V was successfully conducted on April 19, 2012. Soon after the resounding success of the second Agni V mission on September 15 this year, Avinash Chander, DRDO Director General and Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister, and Director General (Missiles and Strategic Systems) V.G. Sekaran had announced that the next trial would be canister based.

Mr. Avinash had also stated that Agni-V would become a quick reaction stop-and-launch system once provided with the canister-thrust capability. It will also impart high operational flexibility to the user.

Canister-based Agni V Tests in March-April, 2014 | idrw.org

The slant range for the AAD is stated to be between 140-180km.

So the real question is why don't pop the Aakash seeker in it, improve its maneuverability (again by borrowing from Aakash) and put 64 of these in a destroyer with a nice Radar. :D

So the real question is why don't pop the Aakash seeker in it, improve its maneuverability (again by borrowing from Aakash) and put 64 of these in a destroyer with a nice Radar. :D

Its maneuverability cannot be "improved", albeit a new system with greater lateral acceleration need not be a clean sheet design. Akash doesn't have a seeker so to say, it operates on command guidance. As the next iterations of the ABM interceptors come about then perhaps a naval application can be thought upon, particularly if we succeed in successfully fielding our own KKV.

Its maneuverability cannot be "improved", albeit a new system with greater lateral acceleration need not be a clean sheet design. Akash doesn't have a seeker so to say, it operates on command guidance. As the next iterations of the ABM interceptors come about then perhaps a naval application can be thought upon, particularly if we succeed in successfully fielding our own KKV.

Sorry, I meant Astra. I believe they are using a seeker from AGAT.

Sorry, I meant Astra. I believe they are using a seeker from AGAT.

Happens. No, that won't do us any good, we are knee deep in trying to develop a dual mode seeker and that's the way forward. Let us see, the interceptors in question are a little way off at the moment, next year we will have some preliminary tests but it is doubtful that the KKV will be up for testing by then. An ABM interceptor cannot simply rely on active seeker alone but requires an EO seeker for greater target discrimination and engaging the inbound with high lateral acceleration so as to achieve a hit to kill termination.

Happens. No, that won't do us any good, we are knee deep in trying to develop a dual mode seeker and that's the way forward. Let us see, the interceptors in question are a little way off at the moment, next year we will have some preliminary tests but it is doubtful that the KKV will be up for testing by then. An ABM interceptor cannot simply rely on active seeker alone but requires an EO seeker for greater target discrimination and engaging the inbound with high lateral acceleration so as to achieve a hit to kill termination.

What would be a realistic timeline for this???

What would be a realistic timeline for this???

Five years if the MoD gets its act together, don't hold you breath though, the only efficient defence minister we have had in recent history (two decades) was Yashwant Singh.

Five years if the MoD gets its act together, don't hold you breath though, the only efficient defence minister we have had in recent history (two decades) was Yashwant Singh.

You overlook Arun Singh. Though he was MoS in MoD; he was de facto RM of that time. A great manager.
Regardless of his political tilts; even George Fernandes was not bad.

You overlook Arun Singh. Though he was MoS in MoD; he was de facto RM of that time. A great manager.
Regardless of his political tilts; even George Fernandes was not bad.

True except for Fernandes, he let the ball drop and then came the keep your shirt spotless be damned the defense of the nation phase, aside from that he did not show any significant apex management skill either (but then that's a common theme) but I guess if we were comparing him to AK sahib then yes even he'd be a god sent.

True except for Fernandes, he let the ball drop and then came the keep your shirt spotless be damned the defense of the nation phase, aside from that he did not show any significant apex management skill either (but then that's a common theme) but I guess if we were comparing him to AK sahib then yes even he'd be a god sent.

Ah yes, AK Antony, who cut his teeth on agitating against the Marxists plan to state own the schools.

The good thing that can be said is that he is not corrupt, but in the political landscape of Kerala, not being corrupt is not that much of an achievement.

How he became a defence minister, beats me.

Although with the current crop of communists in Kerala losing relevance and taking a luddite approach, AK Antony is the sort of leader they need.

He is an atheist too.

Ah yes, AK Antony, who cut his teeth on agitating against the Marxists plan to state own the schools.

The good thing that can be said is that he is not corrupt, but in the political landscape of Kerala, not being corrupt is not that much of an achievement.

How he became a defence minister, beats me.

Although with the current crop of communists in Kerala losing relevance and taking a luddite approach, AK Antony is the sort of leader they need.

He is an atheist too.

I am an atheist too, doesn't mean that I have any sympathy for that dullard. He may not be stuffing his coffers but he is not stopping others (a whole list of others, people who's corrupt proclivities he could have hampered) from doing the same, furthermore he is so obsessed about keeping his lungi spotless that it has brought all defense acquisition to a grinding halt wherein the paranoia has reached such a level that the basic assumption made is that the deal is tainted unless proven otherwise and must be looked at solely from the perspective of how it might affect the fortunes of the ruling dispensation and only then can matters such as national security be considered.

I am an atheist too, doesn't mean that I have any sympathy for that dullard. He may not be stuffing his coffers but he is not stopping others (a whole list of others, people who's corrupt proclivities he could have hampered) from doing the same, furthermore he is so obsessed about keeping his lungi spotless that it has brought all defense acquisition to a grinding halt wherein the paranoia has reached such a level that the basic assumption made is that the deal is tainted unless proven otherwise and must be looked at solely from the perspective of how it might affect the fortunes of the ruling dispensation and only then can matters such as national security be considered.

Don't appreciate the Lungi jibes mate :D

Sent him back to Kerala.

He will have an easy time of it too, believe it or not, Kerala politics is relatively easy to keep his lungi clean.

Don't appreciate the Lungi jibes mate :D

Sent him back to Kerala.

He will have an easy time of it too, believe it or not, Kerala politics is relatively easy to keep his lungi clean.

It not a lungi jibe, you forget that in my native cal people wear lungis all the time too, its just the truth.

It not a lungi jibe, you forget that in my native cal people wear lungis all the time too, its just the truth.

But I added the :D emoticon to indicate my sarcasm. You missed my point :(

I don't mind the Lungi jibes personally.

But yes, AK Antony should return to Kerala, the place is relatively uncomplicated.

Back
Top Bottom