What's new

Indian media reveal details of British submarine operations

BanglaBhoot

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
France
Defence chiefs were furious after the Indian authorities disclosed that Royal Navy submarines were taking part in secret naval war games off the coast of Goa.

By Rosa Prince, Political Correspondent in Bangalore

The whereabouts of British warships is usually kept a closely-guarded secret, with Ministry of Defence officials refusing to confirm even which ocean a particular vessel is operating in.

But hours before the games began, the Times of India published full details of the exercise, in which the "hunter-killer" Trafalgar Class HMS Talent was tasked with tracking down the Indian sub INS Shankush.

In a further breach of security, the newspaper even named the commander of the UK task group, Commodore James Morse, who headed a nine-member British Navy team which took on an 11-man contingent from India under the leadership of the commander of the INS Talwar, Captain M A Hampiholi.

The exercise came mid-way through a three-day trade mission by David Cameron and a delegation of business leaders and chief executives.

Downing Street was irritated that news of Mr Cameron's visit was reported in the Indian press more than a week before his arrival.

There is usually a news blackout on the Prime Minister's foreign travel arrangements until he arrives in a country, and the rule is particularly scrupulously observed for trips in areas where terrorism is an issue.

The war games are also likely to alarm Pakistan, India's great regional rival who Mr Cameron accused of "promoting terror".

Pakistanis were also alarmed at a pds700 deal signed during the visit, between British companies Rolls Royce and BAR to supply 57 Hawk trainer aircraft to India, which will create 200 new jobs in the United Kingdom.

Mr Cameron said: "This is an outstanding example of India-UK defence and industrial partnership, and this agreement will bring significant economic benefits to both our countries."

The Government has also lifted a ban on the export of nuclear technology and exponents, despite India's failure to sign up to a non-proliferation treaty.

Indian media reveal details of British submarine operations - Telegraph

Looks like in a puddle of mud, India has really fantastic "gems of the industry" journalist who can dig our information hidden seven layers beneth..my full applaud..kudos.

Looks like in a puddle of mud, India has really fantastic "gems of the industry" journalist who can dig our information hidden seven layers beneth..my full applaud..kudos.

This is the same orange media who are given zero credibility in this forum but quoted by all members. Well done ToI but not the best thing to publish.
:cheers:

This is the same orange media who are given zero credibility in this forum but quoted by all members. Well done ToI but not the best thing to publish.

ToI is not a worthy newspaper is what members here have reached a conclusion on.

However, why should they not be publishing news about war games being conducted secretly?

It seems the UK is not really in an impartial mood and has inclinations and is trying to attach itself with India aiming at enhanced relationship to seek profits from the relationship with a growing power.

Not going to go down well with Pakistan. The Foreign Office will prepare the President for some real tough talk with Cameroon during next week's visit.

ToI gets my Journalism award of the Day.

ToI is not a worthy newspaper is what members here have reached a conclusion on.

However, why should they not be publishing news about war games being conducted secretly?

It seems the UK is not really in an impartial mood and has inclinations and is trying to attach itself with India aiming at enhanced relationship to seek profits from the relationship with a growing power.

Not going to go down well with Pakistan. The Foreign Office will prepare the President for some real tough talk with Cameroon during next week's visit.

ToI gets my Journalism award of the Day.

Sir, I have the greatest respect for you among all the members from Pakistan in this forum. Please accept my sincere appreciation to your style of posting.

Coming back to the topic,
It is great to know that ToI knew about it but not every news is good when published. Location of a sub is a top secret info and more or less governs the deterrence from sea. The location is a sensitive info that many countries are not willing to share with thr own media.

"hunter-killer" Trafalgar Class HMS Talent

HMS%20Talent%20heads%20through%20the%20Red%20Sea.jpg

She has been given a new reactor core and has been equipped with a new sonar suite, the Sonar 2076. Sonar 2076 has the power equivalent to approximately 400 PCs and can precisely track the movement of small objects from hundreds of miles away. The Royal Navy describe SONAR 2076 as the most advanced Sonar in service with any navy in the world. She has also been given the ability to fire Tomahawk Land Attack Cruise Missile TLAM.

Pg18_1.gif

INS Shankush (S45) is a Shishumar-class diesel-electric submarine of the Indian Navy.

Submarines of Indian Navy

Sir, I have the greatest respect for you among all the members from Pakistan in this forum. Please accept my sincere appreciation to your style of posting.

Thanks
It is great to know that ToI knew about it but not every news is good when published. Location of a sub is a top secret info and more or less governs the deterrence from sea. The location is a sensitive info that many countries are not willing to share with thr own media.

Sending a nuclear sub in the region for secret war games is not a welcome move from the British.

You want to conduct war games, let everybody in the region know about it. International war games aren't supposed to be super secretive, but rather publicity events as far as the basics are concerned.

Both the GoI and the GoUK should have made it public that they were doing some sort of war games or coordinated exercise.

U know CNN IBN yesterday discolse that UK has offered india its TOP shelf submarine and help in Aircraft Carrier making...i am not able to find which submarine it is as there are nothing like this mentioned in Indian Press......

Does any one else noticed?????????

What is PDs 700 and yes it reveled it offered indian HMS class but i dont know why they never reported this newz again aslo it is not in Indian Print Media

Freedom of press or just abuse of freedom??:what:

Or maybe they just lack common sense on what to print and what not to. Overall I believe TOI quality is good but sometimes their editors are found to be sleeping.

Why are they doing secret war games?I mean,what may be the purpose of secracy?Is there something cooking inside?

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom