What's new

indian Leather banned in US

RAPTOR

Reaction score
US firms not to use Indian leather

July 25, 2006 19:20 IST

US retail giant Liz Claiborne has decided against using Indian leather because of the cruel treatment meted out to animals enroute slaughter houses in the country, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, India, said on Tuesday. PETA India's co-ordinator for campaigns and legal affairs N G Jayasimha said that the $4.8 billion turnover company had given an assurance to PETA, US, in this regard.
He said another US retail giant Kenneth Cole, with an annual sales of $518 million, had given a commitment to PETA, US that it would not sell leather from India.
"The suffering of cows and other animals is horrific. Our government has done nothing to reduce the suffering and the Indian leather industry supports the unabated torture of animals", he said adding that the PETA expected more retailers abroad to boycott Indian leather.
Indian animals used for leather are transported under poor and crowded conditions leading to breaking of bones, suffocation and sometimes even death enroute to slaughter houses, he said.
The animals are dragged and beaten cruelly, he alleged.

http://ia.rediff.com/money/2006/jul/25us.htm

melb4aust said:
Come on buddy, just leave it here!!! We should not offend others religion according to our islam. I hope you understand....:thumbsup:

Yes i agree Mel very well said .

we should not indulg in that practice.

They are happy with their religon & we are happy with ours.

who cares what they kill (as long its not human).

correct me if I am wrong, but I tihnk that only the most devout hindus dont eat cows, I had one hindu friend in pakistan wo didint practised hinduism & we used to go out & eat kababs on fridays.

I think its personal choice.

A.r

I would have to fully agree - and I personally think EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD, as the old generation is dying out, ppl are starting to realize that there's a whole new world out there and are more open to new things!! I'm sure a lot of hindus in India enjoy their share of good meat/non-veg things

to each their own!

melb4aust said:
Come on buddy, just leave it here!!! We should not offend others religion according to our islam. I hope you understand....:thumbsup:

Thank you Mel!

hey guys & gals! is there any truth to this? it says ancient hindus, did in fact eat cows. I know beef is available in India. My dad says Christians (us) have to go to what is called the muslim market to buy it - it is usually next to the regular meat market.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/4229/in12.html

Yes, beef is available in special markets but its scarse. I've seen large parts of India and had beef biryani's and kebabs all over different places except for Varanasi.

Beef and Pork is available all through out India with some exceptions. Heck, anyday, I'll take beef to Chicken. ;)

Jay_ said:
Beef and Pork is available all through out India with some exceptions. Heck, anyday, I'll take beef to Chicken. ;)

And I would like to invite everyone to a labor day beef brisket down here in Texas!!!!! From what I hear people up North have never heard of it.

Originally Posted by melb4aust
Come on buddy, just leave it here!!! We should not offend others religion according to our islam. I hope you understand....

This guy is very right

JSK said:
to each their own!

Why do i find such liberalism disconcerting? is it because it precludes helping others. Saying this to sum1 without sanitation, clean water and food is like saying.............to each their own life......or death. It seems to be the prevailing wind at the moment among the highly educated.

sigatoka said:
Why do i find such liberalism disconcerting? is it because it precludes helping others. Saying this to sum1 without sanitation, clean water and food is like saying.............to each their own life......or death. It seems to be the prevailing wind at the moment among the highly educated.

Would you please tell us what point you are trying to make? Do you have any proposals?

TexasJohn said:
Would you please tell us what point you are trying to make? Do you have any proposals?

Had i been American and of voting age, i wud have voted for George Bush (against Al Gore) which in hindsight seems such a mistake. Compassionate Conservatism, unfortuantely George Bush forgot about the Compassionate side of it.

Neo said:
Yes, beef is available in special markets but its scarse. I've seen large parts of India and had beef biryani's and kebabs all over different places except for Varanasi.

Yea,how many you want in my town?
I've sold cows myself...almost everybody I know does.

And being that guzzler of cowmilk that I am, how can one not be nice enough to the cow ? :p

Back
Top Bottom