What's new

Indian Govt to develop own operating system

Ok contract for R&D.
Why to serve Microsoft why not to be one.

You find amusement in saying the word contract don't you ? fine let it be so... this contrat for R&D is being given based on capabilities...

but still just with the capabilities you can't become Microsoft... it is the will to take risks and the amount of money you have got to invest etc...

When India develops in truely then India Inc. will be ready to take risks... then you will find that India giving competition...

we take pride in our capabilities and the contribution to the world which we are making through it... doesn't matter whether it is through Microsoft or IndiaIncSoft... and our target customers (Microsoft, IBM, Sun, HP to name a few) respect us for our capability to contribute...

You find amusement in saying the word contract don't you ? fine let it be so... this contrat for R&D is being given based on capabilities...

but still just with the capabilities you can't become Microsoft... it is the will to take risks and the amount of money you have got to invest etc...

When India develops in truely then India Inc. will be ready to take risks... then you will find that India giving competition...

we take pride in our capabilities and the contribution to the world which we are making through it... doesn't matter whether it is through Microsoft or IndiaIncSoft... and our target customers (Microsoft, IBM, Sun, HP to name a few) respect us for our capability to contribute...
That is my respect that I think India can produce companies to compete with Microsoft. Get the bigger pie in the global market.

That is my respect that I think India can produce companies to compete with Microsoft. Get the bigger pie in the global market.

Thanks dude... but product companies are not a joke... at present in the company which I am working... I see how risky it is ... certainly India Inc, does not have that much money to risk...

I personally have seen products which are technically excellent and was developed by several man months (if not man years) are scrapped and not released (in spite of them being qualitatively and technologically excellent... ), just because the market analysis failed...

Imagine India Inc, having very less amout of money, spends several man months and after an year it comes to know that the product has not got anymore value in the market... it would loose all the hard earned monies...

but take the case of service and R&D outsourcing... all the risky things are done by companies which have money to risk.... and India does something like this...
1. Wait / market yourself.
2. Get requirements and money
3. do the work
4. deliver and get the money...

no risk at all... we don't care whether they have marketed the product or not.... or whether the product failed because of competitors product overtook us as some hip shaker came in their ads or not...

we work we get money.... but product companies they will work and not sure whether they will get it back...

You only see Microsoft and its successfull products, you don't see their unreleased products ... India Inc, can't bear such unreleased products...

The day India Inc becomes capable of taking risk may not be far away and we might see that in our own lifetime...

My company's HQ is in US but I work for Indian Subsidiary which is a different legal entity than US parent. I design new product / enhancements for a top financial software product company without any assistance guidance from US site. we are just a different company under a bigger umbrella.

Looking at some of the comments on this thread it seems some ppl hardly understand how it works here. The still think we are doing typewriting and call center job here.

My company's HQ is in US but I work for Indian Subsidiary which is a different legal entity than US parent. I design new product / enhancements for a top financial software product company without any assistance guidance from US site. we are just a different company under a bigger umbrella.

Looking at some of the comments on this thread it seems some ppl hardly understand how it works here. The still think we are doing typewriting and call center job here.

Yes that is what is surprising for me... may be people who work in such industries would understand that...

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, somewhere I read that out of the modest 60 billion USD (I put it as modest because, I read in some other thread that, China's textile industry export is bigger than this), only say somewhere around 10 billion dollars are from BPOs etc....

Yes that is what is surprising for me... may be people who work in such industries would understand that...

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, somewhere I read that out of the modest 60 billion USD (I put it as modest because, I read in some other thread that, China's textile industry export is bigger than this), only say somewhere around 10 billion dollars are from BPOs etc....

I will not be surprised if these US based MNC tomorrow start shifting bases to other locations for Sales and other purposes as well if they get more revenue from Asia /Europe/Africa and tax benefits. Its really exciting times and world is changing every moment so before cursing anything just look around. Specially I say this because this is knowledge based industry rather than manufacturing where labor and capital cost are more important.

Other thing I would like to remind people here is that even Indian Biggies these days are moving to products like Infosys's Finnacle which is use widely. So we have built the capability and its just that we can only move forward.

Somewhere in this thread people were quoting that this is based on MIPS, if that is the case then new toolchain also won't be required... and as you said may be 8 to 12 weeks could be take for the India's MIPS specific things (like CoProcessor 0 will be different for different implementations of MIPS)....
I am not sure whether its based out of MIPS or not. AFAIK, its a completely new one, not based out of anything, and as per my sources the first prototype is already ready. ( Please dont ask for the source, as I wont be able to give, you know the reason why, NDI)

created from scratch in the sense all the applications, middleware is being created from scratch ?

Right, everything from the scratch. The deadline for the first prototype is set for 4 yrs from the day it starts.

I am not sure whether its based out of MIPS or not. AFAIK, its a completely new one, not based out of anything, and as per my sources the first prototype is already ready. ( Please dont ask for the source, as I wont be able to give, you know the reason why, NDI)

Right, everything from the scratch. The deadline for the first prototype is set for 4 yrs from the day it starts.

a new architecture ? wow... so then everything will be from scratch I suppose... cewl dude... thanks for the info, let us wait so that it can be announced openly...

No dude, they do NOT want to be in product development, when I was in that company 3 years back they were very clear about not going for product development (except few things like laptop, soaps etc)... now the attitude has not been changed yet I suppose (few friends of mine are there in that company say so)...

It is not an ability of the company, it is the will of that company... the company still sees lot of revenue generation ability in services sector... so they don't want to take risk as simple as that...

Along with the above reasons, I may add one more. They are service oriented company and if they venture into the products they fear that they may lose the business of their competitors...

If you'd knew anything about operating systems, you'd know that ISRs are part of HAL which is not the kernel. The boot loader is also not a part of the kernel. Ever heard of third party bootloaders like GRUB, LILO that can load windows and any OS?

I think he was talking about the boot code not the boot loaders. Boot code is the one which initializes the cpu, the memory controller, setup the stack pointer, initialize the heap etc. To be specific the code found in head.S in Linux code.

ISRs are part of the kernel but the bootcode will initialize the interrupt vector along with exception vectors( new work for a new processor/board)

There are Architects who design and the Construction companies who make a product out of drawings given to them by the Architects.

West act like software Architects and Indian software companies as Construction companies making product according to their specific needs.

It will be the first time India will shake them up that we can take care of our own domestic software needs, which is western software market right now.

You are partially right. Mostly the industry in India was something how you mentioned, a decade back.

Now even the client companies expect the service providers to take up more responsibilities. I second your thought that they usually design and the code coolie job is being done here.

Things are changing and chaging for good :)

Dont tell me you work for SAP :P

@username
Microsoft got DOS from the company they were doing business with and made MS DOS
China got Su 27k from and they made J-11 (much better)
Thousand of Indians are working in upper and middle management of Microsoft HP etc so why not to build your own products.

If Walmark can sell made in China as its cheap and people want less expensive things so do computer Users why should I pay for $300 for Ms office suit when I can get Indian made for $50 (no risk if your product is cheap - Walmart example).

Back
Top Bottom