What's new

Indian general praises Pakistani valour at Kargil

Status
Not open for further replies.

LURKER

Reaction score
WASHINGTON: A retired Indian general expressed high praise here last week for the valour of Pakistani fighters in Kargil, singling out for special mention Capt Karnail Sher and Capt Hanifuddin, both of whom fell fighting and posthumously honoured.

Addressing a meeting at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), Lt General M Y Bammi, who retired from the Indian army in 1995 and has just published a book on the Kargil conflict – Kargil: the impregnable conquest – said the Pakistani troops had fought bravely. It was a brilliant action militarily, which had taken India by surprise. However, diplomatically and politically it turned out to be disastrous. India, contrary to Pakistani expectations, retaliated with full force and though it suffered heavy casualties, the Indian army took back every single feature captured by Pakistani troops. He said initially Pakistan had pretended that those fighting in Kargil were “mujahideen” but it later admitted that they were regular Pakistani troops, though they had a smattering of others. In any case, all doubts as to the identity of those fighting in Kargil were set at rest when Pakistan announced 92 gallantry awards at the end of the conflict, many of them posthumous.

General Bammi, who was commissioned in a Gurkha regiment, said that while bodies found at Kargil by Indian troops at recaptured positions were almost without exception those of “other ranks” or non-officers, it was ironic that quite a few of the 92 gallantry awards had gone to officers. He put the number of Pakistani dead at Kargil between 597 and 1,000. Eight were taken POWs. However, those figures were estimated ones, he added, as Pakistan had provided no official count so far. India, he said, lost 481 men, while 1,151 of its personnel suffered combat-related wounds. Two men were to this day unaccounted for.

The Indian general said Pakistani artillery fire was effective and inflicted heavy casualties on the Indians. He said there were several explanations of why Pakistan launched the Kargil operation. Did the planners assume that India would not respond? Was it an attempt to internationalise Kashmir? Or was it to gain area? He said incendiary statements of the kind that emanate from former Pakistani generals such as Aslam Beg and Hamid Gul “make us pause and think.” Meanwhile, the insurgency continues and Hindus keep getting targeted. India also worries if Pakistani nuclear assets are fully secure and in safe hands. How good is the control and command structure, it wonders?

General Bammi said there were several conflicting signals from Pakistan, such as a statement by Sardar Abdul Qayyum Khan to the effect that the Line of Control should be accepted as the permanent dividing line or the statement by federal information minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed saying that the Kashmir issue would be resolved in three years. He emphasised that at no time during the conflict in Kargil did the two countries reach a “nuclear flashpoint.” He said the attack on the Indian parliament was a much graver provocation than Kargil. It was clear now that Pakistan had learnt a lesson from Kargil as the international community had come out against the Pakistani incursion. Pakistan had also realised that there could be no more Kargils, he added.

In answer to a question, Gen Bammi said Kargil was an Indian intelligence failure. Indian intelligence failed to read the signs or identify the activities that were going on since 1997. Indian planners were also misled by the Lahore visit of Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee. He said the Kargil Plan of the Pakistan army was a very good one, but it was not new. It dated back to 1987. He added that former Pakistan army chief Gen Jehangir Karamat on a visit to New Delhi had told him that it was not his plan, nor had he ever discussed it with Benazir Bhutto.

Asked if Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had been “taken for a ride” by the army, Gen. Bammi referred to a statement made by Gen Pervez Musharraf in September 1999 claiming that “everyone was on board” on Kargil. He said Sharif might have been informed but not given “the complete picture.”

its a bit old article but interesting
here's the link Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Actually not a bit, but a very old article - My opinion.

Everything mentioned here has been said, heard, corrected, and re-corrected a million times. I wouldn't have even bothered to read it, but the hope to see something new kept me going till I read the last line.

Well, thanks for sharing anyway.

When the Kargil conflict started , we had higher ground and we had plenty of time to mount LMGs on the flanks and wave after wave after wave of indian army troops were eliminated.

When it comes to Pakistan , indians feel more humilated at being beaten up so the wave after wave of indian soildiers that were sent, were sent with clear message that if you trun back you will be fired upon so they had the choice of being killed by Pakistani fire or if they turned their back , by indian fire.

The indian casualty figure in the Kargil conflict was very high without a doubt but indians think that if they lie long enough it just might change the facts. The indian general's figures are part of this lie they want the world to believe so they don look like a soft state but the whole world knows that they are like cow with lots of bell and whistles around its neck i.e the bells and whistles are the military hardware they keep buying from here and there :P

The General's claims are faulty that india recalimed all the postions , point 5353 is still with Pakistan.

When the Kargil conflict started , we had higher ground and we had plenty of time to mount LMGs on the flanks and wave after wave after wave of indian army troops were eliminated.

When it comes to Pakistan , indians feel more humilated at being beaten up so the wave after wave of indian soildiers that were sent, were sent with clear message that if you trun back you will be fired upon so they had the choice of being killed by Pakistani fire or if they turned their back , by indian fire.

The indian casualty figure in the Kargil conflict was very high without a doubt but indians think that if they lie long enough it just might change the facts. The indian general's figures are part of this lie they want the world to believe so they don look like a soft state but the whole world knows that they are like cow with lots of bell and whistles around its neck i.e the bells and whistles are the military hardware they keep buying from here and there :P

The General's claims are faulty that india recalimed all the postions , point 5353 is still with Pakistan.
lol we are not a communist to fire the soilders if they not fire enimies.

Rest of your post shows nothing but your lack of knowledge on kargil conflict . .thanks. .

this is one of the top silliest and BS post i have encountered, also does not lives upto the standard of a military forum.

This also shows the mentality of poster believe in gazwa e hind and Indians can't fight type crap and BS.

so whats the hustle who cares what indian G Thinks

we are the best of the best (who are they to judge) oh yara haha

Kargil was a tactically brilliant plan, but poorly executed in the strategic and diplomatic front on the Pakistani side.

Hey Taimi, Why you deleted my post ?? what was wrong abt my post , anything off topic or you simply donot like it ??

I think the biggest mistake that Pakistan did after initiating Kargil was to try and turn it into a Mujahideen issue. By refusing to accept the invasion as their doing, they did the biggest disservice to their fallen soldiers and to their standing in the international arena.

I think only there wasnt right support from Gov, else Kashmir was taken.
PA fought splended.....I met one of the soldier (Jawan), retired now and surving in private security agency ...... he was saying that Indian soldiers were running and we were killing them like Gajjar Muli.....

PA fought splended.....I met one of the soldier (Jawan), retired now and surving in private security agency ...... he was saying that Indian soldiers were running and we were killing them like Gajjar Muli.....

i met one soldier he is still workin
he said when we were about to win the paksitani soldiers started running like cowards

afterall tey attacked kargil itself cowardly oly

Actually not a bit, but a very old article - My opinion.

Everything mentioned here has been said, heard, corrected, and re-corrected a million times. I wouldn't have even bothered to read it, but the hope to see something new kept me going till I read the last line.

Well, thanks for sharing anyway.

Truth remains truth even after many centuries.

Rassi jal gayee par akad nahin gaya :devil:

i met one soldier he is still workin
he said when we were about to win the paksitani soldiers started running like cowards

afterall tey attacked kargil itself cowardly oly

How many Indian Solders were killed in Kargil ? the count is more then combined count of 62, 65 and 71 Wars.

Do not talk about bravery and cowardice ---- we have both brave and coward soldiers in both the armies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom