What's new

Indian General Elections - 2014

Whom will you Vote for in 2014 General Elections??

• Total voters
Battle of the Gandhis: Is the stage set for Rahul vs Varun?

Not many in the BJP were happy when Varun Gandhi made the alleged hate speeches in the run-up to the 2009 parliamentary polls. Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, senior party leader and one of the few Muslim faces of the party, went on record saying he lost in the Rampur constituency and the party in 24 others seats in Uttar Pradesh because of the speeches.

Syed Shahnawaz Hussain, another senior Muslim leader, said ”communal” statements of some party leaders made it difficult for him to face his community. The BJP leadership was quick to distance itself from Varun and left him to fend for himself. Since then the equations between the party and the other Gandhi have not been exactly cosy. Although Varun has been campaigning for the party with senior party leaders in states, he has been a fringe player so far, not a status befitting his status as a prize ‘Gandhi’ catch for the party.

What will Varun Gandhi’s hate speech acquittal mean for the BJP? Reuters
Things might change after his acquittal in both the hate speech cases – the second acquittal came today. He faced charges under the Indian Penal Code and the Representation of People Act for promoting enmity among people and supporting acts prejudicial to communal harmony. While Varun had maintained that the cases were filed to tarnish his image and the CDs were doctored, not many in his own party were convinced. Yet, his position in the party is likely to get better now on.

From the BJP’s perspective, Varun will be the party’s answer to Rahul Gandhi. So far, he has proved himself a far better orator than his cousin and more capable at grasping complex issues. He is also popular among the party workers in Uttar Pradesh, at least more popular than the existing set of state leaders. Desperate for a rich haul in the state in the 2014 parliamentary polls – UP has 80 Lok Sabha seats – the party would like to use his services to full capacity. It mind making it a Rahul vs Varun fight in the state, and if need be elsewhere in the country.

However, Varun is no run-of-the-mill BJP leader. He is known to be outspoken on issues, even if his position goes against the party’s. Not long ago, he had raised his voice against the UPA government’s move to facilitate quotas in promotions. This went against his own party’s stated position. He had demanded that the quota system be done away with. In 2011, he had tweeted his support for Irom Sharmila, who has been on more than decade long hunger strike demanding the repeal of AFSPA, in Manipur. This, again, went contrary his party’s position on AFSPA. He had also criticised the Madhya Pradesh government for failing to make any headway in the Shehla Masood murder case.

Clearly, Varun is a leader of a mind of his own. The party leadership would be wary that this trait could land them in controversies like the hate speech cases. But Varun would be worth the risk. It is by now obvious that the overriding accent of the elections 2014 would be youth-centric. The leader from Pilbhit with his part rebel, part devil-may-care persona appears to have an easy connect with the youth. His straightforward approach to issues might earn some appreciation for him too. The BJP would like to utilise that appeal in the polls. With his toned down image, Varun could be an asset for the party.

Now let’s wait for the big Rahul-Varun show to unfold.

http://www.firstpost.com/politics/b...stage-set-for-rahul-vs-varun-show-649257.html

Lok Sabha polls can happen in 2013, predicts Advani

Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) veteran Lal Krishna Advani on Wednesday said Lok Sabha elections could be held earlier than scheduled, even this year.

Advani said it is quite possible that the Government of India may consider about the Lok Sabha polls in 2013 along with the elections to the five states of the country.

"I say it because in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Rajasthan and Jharkhand, the two parties that are prominently in the battlefield are the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Congress, and the Bharatiya Janata Party can give a better performance in these polls," said Advani.

"So, they would not like the Lok Sabha polls to take place after the assembly elections. So, it is quite possible that the Lok Sabha polls can happen in 2013," he added.

Advani, who has expressed his disappointment over the rampant inflation and corruption during the UPA tenure, had earlier on March 30 also said that the elections might take place in 2013.

The BJP veteran's remark comes at a time when Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh has very categorically said that the government is stable and will complete its full five-year term.

"Obviously, coalitions face issues. Sometimes, they give the impression that these arrangements are not very stable and I cannot deny that those possibilities exist. But I am confident our government will complete five years and that the next Lok Sabha elections will take place on schedule," Dr. Singh told the media on board last month, while returning to New Delhi after taking part in the fifth BRICS summit in Durban.

Samajwadi Party (SP) supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav had earlier lashed out at the ruling Congress Party, thereby hinting that this outfit could possibly withdraw its support to the government in the coming days.

Yadav, however, later said that he has no plans now to withdraw support to the Congress-led UPA II Government at the Centre.

The Congress-led UPA Government has been in a minority since September last year when Mamata Banerjee pulled out her Trinamool Congress over the Centre's economic reforms, including opening the retail sector to foreign super-chains like Wal-Mart.

M. Karunanidhi-led DMK also withdrew its support to the UPA last month over the issue of alleged human rights violations of Sri Lankan Tamils, and ruled out any reconsideration.

This move of the DMK has made the UPA Government vulnerable despite its assertions of having a parliamentary majority. The ruling coalition will now eye for support from the regional parties, which includes the Bahujan Samaj Party and the Samajwadi Party.

The Samajwadi Party provides outside support to the UPA.

Lok Sabha polls can happen in 2013, predicts Advani :: DNA

@KRAIT @anant_s @samantk @kurup @Dillinger @Abingdonboy @Koovie

I was thinking about the same, November-2013 in all PROBABILITY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lok Sabha polls can happen in 2013, predicts Advani

Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) veteran Lal Krishna Advani on Wednesday said Lok Sabha elections could be held earlier than scheduled, even this year.

Advani said it is quite possible that the Government of India may consider about the Lok Sabha polls in 2013 along with the elections to the five states of the country.

"I say it because in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Rajasthan and Jharkhand, the two parties that are prominently in the battlefield are the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Congress, and the Bharatiya Janata Party can give a better performance in these polls," said Advani.

"So, they would not like the Lok Sabha polls to take place after the assembly elections. So, it is quite possible that the Lok Sabha polls can happen in 2013," he added.

Advani, who has expressed his disappointment over the rampant inflation and corruption during the UPA tenure, had earlier on March 30 also said that the elections might take place in 2013.

The BJP veteran's remark comes at a time when Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh has very categorically said that the government is stable and will complete its full five-year term.

"Obviously, coalitions face issues. Sometimes, they give the impression that these arrangements are not very stable and I cannot deny that those possibilities exist. But I am confident our government will complete five years and that the next Lok Sabha elections will take place on schedule," Dr. Singh told the media on board last month, while returning to New Delhi after taking part in the fifth BRICS summit in Durban.

Samajwadi Party (SP) supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav had earlier lashed out at the ruling Congress Party, thereby hinting that this outfit could possibly withdraw its support to the government in the coming days.

Yadav, however, later said that he has no plans now to withdraw support to the Congress-led UPA II Government at the Centre.

The Congress-led UPA Government has been in a minority since September last year when Mamata Banerjee pulled out her Trinamool Congress over the Centre's economic reforms, including opening the retail sector to foreign super-chains like Wal-Mart.

M. Karunanidhi-led DMK also withdrew its support to the UPA last month over the issue of alleged human rights violations of Sri Lankan Tamils, and ruled out any reconsideration.

This move of the DMK has made the UPA Government vulnerable despite its assertions of having a parliamentary majority. The ruling coalition will now eye for support from the regional parties, which includes the Bahujan Samaj Party and the Samajwadi Party.

The Samajwadi Party provides outside support to the UPA.

Lok Sabha polls can happen in 2013, predicts Advani :: DNA

@KRAIT @anant_s @samantk @kurup @Dillinger @Abingdonboy @Koovie

Unlikely, such news and claims are stated frequently by politicians.

And I pray it happens, cause given the present teeth-less GoI, it is only best to do away with it.

Also, the steady drum rolls of Narendra Modi taking the centre stage is being thrown around too much and too soon.. At leats we will know what our future holds and get a semblance of a govt. with purpose no matter Congress or BJP.

Unlikely, such news and claims are stated frequently by politicians.

Yes, but it looks more real after the DMK has pulled out.

Now the UPA is in majority only by SP's outside support, but Mulayam singh himself is raising anti-congress voice recently & himself has said that he sees early polls. He will like to reap the benefits of his assembly elections victory in the LS elections as well.

+ It makes sense for UPA as well, as early poll can minimize the benefits that BJP will take for GE & may inturn favor Congress as early polls always creates confusion in the mind of voters.

Another point is that 5 state elections which Advani is talking about are crucial:

In all Probability, in MP, Chatisgarh, Jharkhand ----> NDA will make a comeback.

Rajasthan is also going to vote for BJP as per surveys (one was of NDTV).

Delhi can be either way.

So, this will be a MASSIVE loss for the Congress/UPA & can start a chain reaction in other states voting against UPA if elections are held on time & People are able to analyze the direction of wind.

@samantk, no matter how bad a govt. is, early elections are never good for a country, even if they happen just 6 months before.

Yes, but it looks more real after the DMK has pulled out.

Now the UPA is in majority only by SP's outside support, but Mulayam singh himself is raising anti-congress voice recently & himself has said that he sees early polls. He will like to reap the benefits of his assembly elections victory in the LS elections as well.

+ It makes sense for UPA as well, as early poll can minimize the benefits that BJP will take for GE & may inturn favor Congress as early polls always creates confusion in the mind of voters.

Another point is that 5 state elections which Advani is talking about are crucial:

In all Probability, in MP, Chatisgarh, Jharkhand ----> NDA will make a comeback.

Rajasthan is also going to vote for BJP as per surveys (one was of NDTV).

Delhi can be either way.

So, this will be a MASSIVE loss for the Congress/UPA & can start a chain reaction in other states voting against UPA if elections are held on time & People are able to analyze the direction of wind.

@samantk, no matter how bad a govt. is, early elections are never good for a country, even if they happen just 6 months before.

Maybe not always, but seeing no major work being done and a fair amount of damage control being done by them gives no confidence.

A change in govt, is now required.. oh Diggy cacha also said it :lol:

@arp2041 Advani said it before. I think a month ago. If it happens, it will significantly affect the parties' strategies.

@arp2041 Advani said it before. I think a month ago. If it happens, it will significantly affect the parties' strategies.

Read my earlier post, i have provided the reasons.

Congress/UPA has now nothing to lose, they know they are Doomed, it is at this moment that they are most dangerous, instead they will only benefit from making other parties "off guard".

Apart from the riots,

Modi has actually done some development in Gujarat.

If he`s not a religious freak or extremist then he could turn out to be a gem for India and the development in the country.

Apart from the riots,

Modi has actually done some development in Gujarat.

If he`s not a religious freak or extremist then he could turn out to be a gem for India and the development in the country.

In his 10+ years rule of Gujarat, he has not shown these signs.

I thought he was the man behind the riots?

Or maybe I`ve just heard one side of the coin.

The charge is not that he was behind the riots, but instead it is the charge of INACTION on his part that resulted in loss of so many lives & this "charge" is levied by the people/media, not courts of India.

When I said "in 10+ years rule" i wanted to add "except godhra riots".

Sorry, for the mistake.

Altamas Kabir belittled Subramaniam swamy in the Supreme Court.
And now:

Calcutta HC Chief Justice S S Nijjar who recommended Kabir's sis as HC judge, was soon elevated as judge in SC by collegium of Kabir

There is a sudden thrust in Congress to designate more Muslim Judges.
CJI Altamas Kabir is son of a Congress politician who later became minister
CJI Kabir became SC judge in 2005. He was part of the collegium which appointed his sister Shukla Kabir Sinha as Calcutta HC judge in 2010

India's death in auto pilot.

The charge is not that he was behind the riots, but instead it is the charge of INACTION on his part that resulted in loss of so many lives & this "charge" is levied by the people/media, not courts of India.

When I said "in 10+ years rule" i wanted to add "except godhra riots".

Sorry, for the mistake.

Oh okay..

Lets hope he`s a good one.

I hope he and InshAllah Imran Khan as our next PMs can build a good Pak-Ind relation.

Peace is the way forward!

Back
Top Bottom