What's new

INDIAN Emergency Services (POLICE, AMBULANCE,FIRE)

Innova offers around 11-12 kmpl while XUV also is around the same at 11kmpl (diesel).

hmmm- not much in it wrt Innova and XUV is there?

It seems most PDs in India are rapidly phasing out their Gypsys and many seem to be going for a mix of the Innova and others. I wouldn't mind the XUV500 getting a slice of the pie!

hmmm- not much in it wrt Innova and XUV is there?

It seems most PDs in India are rapidly phasing out their Gypsys and many seem to be going for a mix of the Innova and others. I wouldn't mind the XUV500 getting a slice of the pie!

But problem is that XUV is quite a luxurious vehicle with loads of features and
creature comforts, hence I think the PD top brass may be thinking it won't be appropriate
to ask cops to patrol in such luxurious vehicles.

Secondly, XUV is a relatively new product (although it's scoring high in customer satisfaction
charts), while the others like Innova, Tata Sumo or the Scorpio & Bolero from Mahindra are
tried-and-tested for decades! They are the perfect workhorse (especially the 2 older Mahi vehicles),
...but it needs a very ambitious top-cop with a sense of modernity and image-projection in
order to induct these XUVs in large numbers.

If they do, then I assure you, the very image of police patrolling in India can be changed.

But problem is that XUV is quite a luxurious vehicle with loads of features and
creature comforts, hence I think the PD top brass may be thinking it won't be appropriate
to ask cops to patrol in such luxurious vehicles.

Secondly, XUV is a relatively new product (although it's scoring high in customer satisfaction
charts), while the others like Innova, Tata Sumo or the Scorpio & Bolero from Mahindra are
tried-and-tested for decades! They are the perfect workhorse (especially the 2 older Mahi vehicles),
...but it needs a very ambitious top-cop with a sense of modernity and image-projection in
order to induct these XUVs in large numbers.

If they do, then I assure you, the very image of police patrolling in India can be changed.

Agreed. I'm sure though that if a large(ish) Indian PD approached Mahindra, they'd bring out a specilised (stripped down) XUV500
for Indian PDs- this would drastically reduce the price also if much of the "luxury" items were removed from the 500. One PD doing so could be the a major catalyst for many/most Indian PDs following suit. As it has been though, Indian PDs just take off the shelf vehicles with little modifications and use them as cop cars- it is different in the West.

But like you say, it will take an ambitious top-cop with plenty of foresight to make such a call.

BANGALORE FD:

BangaloreFirestn2_zps193500ea.jpg

BangaloreFirestation_zpseb814197.jpg

Nice structure- cr@ppy fire trucks :cry::cry:

@Gessler- is the XUV500 selling well?

Ofcourse. Although it's not in the top 10 best selling models, it's selling in
nos. of several 1,000 (from 2k to 5-6k) per month.

However it was initial response that was fantastic, with around 12,000 cars booked
within 2 months of unveiling (If I remember correctly)

Actually it's overseas response has also been good - especially in South Africa where
Mahindra has emerged as the biggest growth brand in the 4-wheeler industry.

Mahindra's new flagship SUV driven | Wheels24.co.za

Maindra 'SA's top growth brand' | wheels24.co.za

Read the user comments in the first link...

Ofcourse. Although it's not in the top 10 best selling models, it's selling in
nos. of several 1,000 (from 2k to 5-6k) per month.

However it was initial response that was fantastic, with around 12,000 cars booked
within 2 months of unveiling (If I remember correctly)

Actually it's overseas response has also been good - especially in South Africa where
Mahindra has emerged as the biggest growth brand in the 4-wheeler industry.

Mahindra's new flagship SUV driven | Wheels24.co.za

Maindra 'SA's top growth brand' | wheels24.co.za

Read the user comments in the first link...

35,000 XUV500s were sold within 1 year, infact, 7,200 bookings were made within 2 days of
model's unveiling! It still remains a hot favourite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm- it seems that if Mahindra can prove its worth and get over the brand issue then it can do brisk business in SA and by extension many other nations (maybe even Europe if it can get safety up to scratch).

4stars on ANCAP........mmmm

Hmm- it seems that if Mahindra can prove its worth and get over the brand issue then it can do brisk business in SA and by extension many other nations (maybe even Europe if it can get safety up to scratch).

Yes.

JFI, XUV500 received 4 out of 5 stars in the Australian NCAP safety test, largely the same
as German makes like Audi Q7. Although only those cars with a full 5-star rating are preferred in
Western countries.

But then again, I heard having an indicator for seatbelt lock and not having it is enough to
make the difference between 4 and 5 stars. I don't know how much of this is true, but just
saying what I heard from Australians themselves...

Yes.

JFI, XUV500 received 4 out of 5 stars in the Australian NCAP safety test, largely the same
as German makes like Audi Q7. Although only those cars with a full 5-star rating are preferred in
Western countries.

But then again, I heard having an indicator for seatbelt lock and not having it is enough to
make the difference between 4 and 5 stars. I don't know how much of this is true, but just
saying what I heard from Australians themselves...
Well then if Mahindra plays is right (and other Indian brands) then they can do well but they need to focus on quality. As it is, going by that article's comments and my own knowledge, China has built up an unfortunate image of producing cheap and sub-par cars. India can come in and take huge market shares across the world- if it plays it right.

@Bombaywalla- your are a Mumbaite- are Alok Industeries' factories that big?

Mate, I haven't heard a lot about Alok Industries in the recent past. They must have a decent set up, which I think is outside the city. Their emergency vehicles are registered with the Dadra and Nagar Haveli (DN) RTO.

Mate, I haven't heard a lot about Alok Industries in the recent past. They must have a decent set up, which I think is outside the city. Their emergency vehicles are registered with the Dadra and Nagar Haveli (DN) RTO.

Fair enough mate- nice vehicles though, eh?

Fair enough mate- nice vehicles though, eh?

Indeed. Love 'em. :)

The Bombay Fire Brigade needs to get loads more. We need to start procuring mini fire tenders to combat emergencies in our crowded streets...like the ones they have in Tokyo/Osaka/Yokohama.

Back
Top Bottom