What's new

Indian debt trap in Bangladesh

I believe both bangladesh and india will do a good job in building their infrastructure :)

The more India will be developed, the more they will be dominant minded towards BD. And it's increasing day by day. The more India will be organized, the more BD will boxed up weak land. You can ask why; and I'll say this is due to India's nature. They have a big future plan and the transit is only a part of that. They will gain many strategic benefits economically, politically over BD and also for their defence from Chinese border. And it's a rare chance for India to get transit via BD which is only possible for stooge-AL.

* IMO

You already might have noticed that every BD member has some extent of unwillingness to get this loan. May be you are not able to understand Indian ploys with your innocent soul. They would never give you any slightest benefit without their own big benefit and there are numerous instances of that like water sharing and not giving market in India.

.....The more India will be organized, the more BD will boxed up weak land.

.....You can ask why; and I'll say this is due to India's nature.
As for Boxed land, Aint you already boxed up by nature itself?.... India or No India .... Thats the way you are geographically. Having said that, do you also *understand* why having good relationship with BD is important for India? ... No, not because you are a gold mine for us. Its got to do with China. Now, do you also *understand* why it is important for BD to have a good relationship with India? .... Its because we *BOX* you. We can simply choke you (please dont flame me .... im just stating blockade in military engagement terms).

They have a big future plan and the transit is only a part of that. They will gain many strategic benefits economically, politically over BD and also for their defence from Chinese border. And it's a rare chance for India to get transit via BD which is only possible for stooge-AL.
First, its NOT big plan. Its elementary for us. Economically and strategically, the NE is chicken neck for us. So, yes, Transit is strategic for us... but NOT as part of some BIG plans. Its something we should have done ages ago.

They would never give you any slightest benefit without their own big benefit
Brother, why Single out India here? ... take instances of your trade relationship with China. You have a bigger trade deficit with them. They dont allow competing product from BD in their markets. Forget China, every democratic country works on the principle of accountability to its people via parliament. Simply saying "India does not give any benefit without their own benefit" is akin to shooting in thin air. Without telling us what is it that you expected GoI to have provided BD in return here? .... What did GoB demand of India?

Its because we *BOX* you. We can simply choke you (please dont flame me .... im just stating blockade in military engagement terms).

why Single out India here? ... take instances of your trade relationship with China. You have a bigger trade deficit with them.

Bangladesh manged very well and progressed considerably last 40 years without much engagement with india. That is until Awami stooge regime came to power. indian wish of boxing is for Awami propaganda deception and to pursue submissive policy, other than that that indian trick flushed down the toilet.

As for relation with China, that is not india to argue who and what relation Bangladesh can pursue. Besides, China considered friendly country whereas india is enemey state which killis Bangladeshi citizes every other day, occupy Bangladeshi land, dam rivers to make Bangladesh a desert and list goes on..... Besides india itself has more than 15 billion trade defecit with China, oximoron.

They (China) dont allow competing product from BD in their markets.

China gave nearly 5000 Bangladeshi product duty free acess where as india only put trade barrier on Bangladeshi products. You Indians has no shame in blatant lie.

Bangladesh manged very well and progressed considerably last 40 years without much engagement with india.
Well mate, as i see it, in last 40 years, ALL of your government have had good relationship with us. Barring none. So your point is invalid.

indian wish of boxing is for Awami propaganda deception and to pursue submissive policy
Its not India's Wish. As i said, you are already boxed in. From military point of view, it wont take much to block BD (Again .. im just stating this in military terms .... Neither India or its citizens wish this). In the same breath, BD can cut us off from NE if it so desire's.

As for relation with China, that is not india to argue who and what relation Bangladesh can pursue.
Oh please .... Nobody is arguing on that.

Besides, China considered friendly country whereas india is enemey state which killis Bangladeshi citizes every other day, occupy Bangladeshi land, dam rivers to make Bangladesh a desert and list goes on
I really dont know what your definition of a enemy state is. The killing of border intruders is something which has been deeply debated on other thread. For occupation of BD land .... Do you mean the teen beegha corridor or the 2001 cross border skirmishes ?

Besides india itself has more than 15 billion trade defecit with China, oximoron.
Exactly .... So why was BD member pointing to India as by nature not giving anything to BD unless there is a string attached?

China gave nearly 5000 Bangladeshi product duty free acess where as india only put trade barrier on Bangladeshi products
China and India, have given similar discounts to BD. Both India and China have excluded products available locally. Read "BOTH". There is no difference.

You Indians has no shame in blatant lie.
Ha ha ha . Coming from YOU who has been constantly called a Liar (even by BD members) ... that was a rofl for me.

As for Boxed land, Aint you already boxed up by nature itself?.... India or No India .... Thats the way you are geographically. Having said that, do you also *understand* why having good relationship with BD is important for India? ... No, not because you are a gold mine for us. Its got to do with China. Now, do you also *understand* why it is important for BD to have a good relationship with India? .... Its because we *BOX* you. We can simply choke you (please dont flame me .... im just stating blockade in military engagement terms).

1. I said boxed up weak land, not only boxed up land. Like, if India will build Tipai Dam then India will be more organized in their cultivation and one the other hand BD will not get required water flow which eventually will reduced our food production and then we have to import food from India at higher cost. That’s why I said that the more India will be organized, the more BD will be boxed up weaker land.

2. It's more than 50 years we have been going without any important relation with India. But we will want important relation with India only when we can trust India.

First, its NOT big plan. Its elementary for us. Economically and strategically, the NE is chicken neck for us. So, yes, Transit is strategic for us... but NOT as part of some BIG plans. Its something we should have done ages ago.

It's a big plan, plus elementary for India. If you still say that it's not big plan then I'll say it's a big issue for BD. BD will loose its market in NE if it has any.

Brother, why Single out India here? ... take instances of your trade relationship with China. You have a bigger trade deficit with them. They dont allow competing product from BD in their markets. Forget China, every democratic country works on the principle of accountability to its people via parliament. Simply saying "India does not give any benefit without their own benefit" is akin to shooting in thin air. Without telling us what is it that you expected GoI to have provided BD in return here? .... What did GoB demand of India?

I said India does not give us any benefit without its big benefit. No need to bring China here. The reality is we have full trust on China which India could not achieve in last 50 years. And we know that India does not give us water in dry season when needed and overwhelm us with flood in rainy season when it's not needed.

Indian debt trap and BD is doing nothing.
Who is at fault and who is to be blamed?

Railway networks to be expanded
Rezaul Karim
Bangladesh, India eye greater connectivity
Bangladesh and India will extend their railway network along the international border to improve connectivity between the two countries.

Communications ministry sources said India is going to extend railway network to two more places along its border with Bangladesh --- Sabroom in southern Tripura, 135 km from Agartala, and Akhaura in western Tripura, just 6 km from Agartala railway station.

Bangladesh operates regular train services on its side up to Akhaura and various other places, opposite several sub-divisional towns in the Indian state of Tripura.

Railway officials said a team of officials of Indian Railway Construction Company (IRCON) recently visited Dhaka and held talks with officials at the communications ministry as well as railway officials to finalise alignment of the 13-km Agartala-Akhaura rail track to connect railway networks of the two countries.

Of the proposed rail track, 5.4 km falls in Indian territory and 7.6 km in Bangladesh.

During Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's January 10-13 visit to India, New Delhi agreed to provide grant for construction of Akhaura- Agartala rail line.

India will provide $ 1 billion credit for a range of projects including railway infrastructure, supply of locomotives and passenger coaches, rehabilitation of Saidpur railway workshop and procurement of buses, and for dredging projects.

Bangladesh will procure 10 locomotives for its railway at a cost of $35.5 million. It will also purchase 125 broad gauge passenger coaches for the railway costing $53.6 million. Moreover, Bangladesh will buy 60 tank wagons worth $8.85 million and 50 flat wagons worth $4.55 million for the railway with the Indian credit.

Besides, a railway bridge will be constructed on the Titas river that will cost $120 million.

Officials mentioned that a survey was conducted in 1999 for connecting Agartala-Akhaura railway stations.

Bangladesh and India resumed regular train service in April 2008, after 43 years, through Darshana in Bangladesh and Gede in Nadia district of West Bengal. The service was suspended after the 1965 war between India and Pakistan.

India's Northeast Frontier Railway additional general manager Vipin Jha recently told the media at Agartala that the ongoing work for railway network up to Sabroom would be completed by March 2014. And the proposed railway station would be just 75 km from Chittagong port in Bangladesh.

Meanwhile, officials in Dhaka said India has agreed to give Bangladesh transit to Nepal through RohanpurSingabad broad gauge railway link. Bangladesh wanted to convert Radhikapur-Birol rail line a into broad gauge one and requested for railway transit to Bhutan as well.

Bangladesh want sto imitate Pakistan....hate India...but without any reason or such..i know it cool to be anti India or anti china in today's world but this is totally ridiculous...Bangladeshi's even beat Africa hands down in India bashing!!

Bangladesh want sto imitate Pakistan....hate India...but without any reason or such..i know it cool to be anti India or anti china in today's world but this is totally ridiculous...Bangladeshi's even beat Africa hands down in India bashing!!

I feel the same. I thought bangladeshi's like indian but When i joined this forum i realised the truth.

I feel the same. I thought bangladeshi's like indian but When i joined this forum i realised the truth.

you guys are not alone...infact I can bet any common Indian, atleast I know of does not think BD people would think this way about India...and I was one of them....but honestly guys, you dont feel that once you are on this forum's BD section...after some comments on this sections from BD members about India...I can now say that I hate them from the core of my heart.

I can now say that I hate them from the core of my heart.

You dont have to say it, we feel and live through indian hate every day when our people get killed by indians, our land get occupied and our river get dammed and water taken away and list goes on........

You dont have to say it, we feel and live through indian hate every day when our people get killed by indians, our land get occupied and our river get dammed and water taken away and list goes on........

please quote my entire post and then try to show how smart you are to hate India...if there is a reason for your hate, then we have our reasons too..atleast now,to hate BD people.:tdown:

DEADLY GAME IN PROGRESS
Loan from Delhi raises billion dollar questions

M. Shahidul Islam

The $1 billion loan agreement signed with India on August 7 begets some billion dollar questions: Whose interest will it serve and whether the fund was at all needed. Cynicism has exacerbated by the loan coming at a time when it is least needed; over $500 million of ADB, IMF and other source-loans lying idle in the government's coffer.

Decoding the mindset of policy makers in Dhaka and Delhi has become a futile exercise since the coming to power of the AL-led regime in early 2009. While any definitive answers to such questions will remain unanswered for obvious reasons, a glance at the targeted projects where the borrowed money will be spent may provide some valuable clues to unearthing the real motive behind this unprecedented economic collaboration between the two South Asian neighbours.

Whose interest?
Of the 14 projects for which the predominance of the borrowed $1 billion is slated for spending, over 76 per cent of the fund is earmarked for the (1) construction of Ashugonj port and dredging of navigation route leading to Tripura border, (2) upgrading of railway tracks and purchase of railway locomotives and oil tankers to transport Indian goods across the border, (3) construction of bridges astride Indo-Bangladesh border, including over the Bhairab and the Feni river connection Tripura, (4) construction of Ramgar-Subrom land port and the connecting roads, and, (5) construction of Bheramara-Bahrampur 400 KV inter- connected lines at a cost of $150 million, to name but a few.

The agreement stipulates that the pipeline projects must incur 85 per cent of the costs by procuring goods and services from India only, and, the consultants hired for advising must be from India too. That alone will divert back 90 per cent of the fund to India. Add to this .50 per cent penalty for non-completion of any project, 1.75 per cent annual interest and .5 percent commitment fee per annum. The entire venture has little or no value added dividend for Bangladesh, excepting an estimated $25 million or so that is expected to come annually from custom fee and the allied levies that are yet to be decided.

Simply put: Delhi will plan, fund and complete all these strategically important projects inside Bangladesh with materials from India, to serve India's interest, while the cost incurred is a loan to Bangladesh which the country may not be able to pay off within the stipulated 20 years time frame. Besides, the loan's conditionality is so stringent that the negation of any future government to comply with the projects' completion will not absolve the nation from paying the interests and the penalties during the 20 years amortization period.

As well, the 1.75 per cent interest is too high, compared with the loan transactions occurring at public and private levels anywhere in the world; due to the recession-battered prime landing rate being either zero, or at best one per cent in the leading economies of the world. More disturbing is the 20 years payment deadline, which covers only half of the payment time-line usually offered by major international financial institutions while the stipulated interest rate is seven times of what the IMF loan charges, .25 per cent at best.

Why policy- shift?
Despite that, our finance minister is on record for accusing the opposition BNP of lying, as the latter insisted on not to sign the loan accord in consideration of upholding national interest. The gala and the glittering of the signing ceremony had also dwarfed the potential of an economic and geopolitical disaster this particular loan is sure to bring upon our nation.

The finance minister is not alone in touting the issue as an epoch - making economic bonanza. Prior to Dhaka consenting to inking the agreement, few in the nation took pain to study the economic and the arithmetical rationale for doing so, especially at a time when the decision to borrow from external sources marked a radical shift from existing policies which proved successful over the decades by reducing debt-dependency on external sources, often phenomenally.
We also feel numb as none among the policy makers even bothered to ask, why Dhaka needed $1 billion credit from India when its debt-GDP ratio stood at all time high, over 32 per cent of the GDP, or well over $50 billion, of which public debt alone rose by over $2 billion since the coming to office of the AL-led regime in late 2008 (Source: CIA fact sheet). Bangladesh bank data also reveals, total government borrowing was Tk. 597.9 billion in FY 2007, out of which Tk. 522.0 billion (87 percent) came from domestic sources while the net flow of public borrowing from external sources remained nearly stagnant in FY06-07, and declined further subsequently.

Deadly geopolitics
Such compelling economic rationales aside, India's generosity remains questionable; the loan coming to Dhaka at a time when India itself is bleeding under a slew of catastrophic afflictions spurred by a lingering recession, accelerated centrifugal drives spearheaded by insurgents from Kashmir to Mizoram to Assam, and the widespread public discontent created by a combustive mix of mass unemployment and hyper inflation which Delhi seems totally unable to tackle.

Some observers say, this is hardly a micro-managed regional bonhomie to bolster fraternity with a smaller neighbour in crisis. Faced with unprecedented domestic crisis, Delhi had to display some geopolitical acrobatics to deflect attention outward and the scheme fitted neatly with a Machiavellian design to turn Bangladesh into an economic and military hinterland that has been in the making since Delhi decided to join the US-led anti terror bandwagon in 2001.

They say, ever since, Delhi has been on the driving seat in Dhaka while irritating silence and procrastination remained our national hallmark amidst the gradual but systematic enfeebling of the nation by (1) rendering the armed forces impotent, and, (2) bludgeoning the economy through orchestrated destruction of the main export sector, the RMG.

This line of analysis jibes well with the desperation Delhi felt lately as it witnessed, helplessly, Nepal turning into a Maoist state, Sri Lanka drifting away toward China and the Pakistani success in checkmating Delhi in Afghanistan amidst successive Taliban victory in the battles against the India-allied NATO forces. They say as most of the earmarked projects involve land and marine connectivity between India's north east with the mainland via Bangladesh, our nation is being turned into a virtual India corridor. This constitutes serious compromises of our territorial integrity and sovereignty.

HOLIDAY > FRONT PAGE

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom