What's new

Indian culture cutting across boundaries

goras look strange wearing indian dresses..hehe

Thats because Pakistani school are cr@p and very politicized. I myself studied in Indian school and so did my sibling. My sister even taught in Indian school for few months but couldn't get NOC from MoE so had to drop that.

What's MoE and what does this NOC signify?

:tup:

^^ Truly spectacular performance by these folks. I knew that people who don't know a specific language can still song songs just based on phonetic pronunciation alone; but these guys have done their homework very well indeed.

With the advent of the Internet and easy access to information from around the world, Indian cultural exports are experiencing yet another huge revival.

The Unique feature of this is that unlike most other nation's export of their culture and ideals, India's has always been in the form of soft power. This was true when the mythical Kaudinya set foot on present day Cambodia....forever to influence South East Asia to such an extent that they came to be known as the Indianized kingdoms, was true when the Ancient Japanese referred to south Asia as Tenjiku (The center of heaven) and is true today as well; when people world over flock to see Bollywood movies and eat Indian "Curry".

The extent to which Indian culture has influenced even the west can be seen in the prolific usage of Indian terminology and concepts in used daily. To mention an example...I was listening to the local news yesterday; and there was a news segment about a robbery at a school. The school board administrator; who was giving the interview remarked " It's not good to do these stuff to a school...a place of education...they cannot escape this Karma". The mere fact that a mainstream American is able to use such a terminology without even blinking an eyelid or giving an explanation speaks volumes about the depths to which this Indian influence has spread.

Regions of the world which were formally disconnected from India due to sheer geographic distance (places such as south America) and Africa are experiencing this even as we speak. My friends from South America are always up to date on the newest Bollywood releases; so are most of the Asians(at least the major movies). I was dragged kicking and screaming by my japanese friends(cos I was willing to wait for the dvd to come out instead of watching it on the theater)to the theater to watch Slumdog Millionaire.....and by my Guatemalan friends to watch Gajini.:D . While watching Indian movies with such a diverse group I saw an amazing transformation happen. Even as they watched the movie, and occasionally made fun of the prolific dance-and song-sequences; the majority of them came out of the theater happy. Not only did they like those movies; Ive been repeatedly told by many that those movies completely changed their perception of India, to a positive one.

I'll be honest here. Most Indian movies are very formulaic. They follow time-tested Indian movie plots..and I can see most of them coming a mile ahead.Thus I try to be selective in what I watch. However; about 5% of so of the movies have good stories..some of them really good. Furthermore there is something "magical"(yes I use this word loosely here) about the Indian movies; to foreigners...Almost Jungian in its hypnotic pull. It's a window to a world about which they are not aware...one could even say its like Peter Pan's never never land....where even the wildest dreams might be possible. Joseph Campbell once said that "Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.". I would change this adage slightly and say "Indian movies are public dreams, dreams are private movies".

In today's world, when sophistry and robotic work define the lives of many people the world over...these movies speak to something inside them, A desire for some simple things in life...a desire that says; regardless the hardships and seemingly insurmountable odds, one can still realize one's dream. This is yet another theme in the Indian movies....a promise of hope, even for those in the darkest of hovels.

Those who watch these movies project their own desires and aspirations....their sorrows and yearning...onto this archetype....archetypes which are movies.Everyone who watches it, gains a different experience....based on their specific needs. If I can be forgiven for using computer terminology....Indian movies...and Indian culture is like an abstract class. It exists. People are more than willing..and even encouraged to take as much as they want...and implement it their way...due to their states.Nowhere is this more evident than in the Indianized states of South East Asia. The Thai's, the Cambodians...the Laotians and the Burmese.. Those from the south east Asian islands...all have their own "implementation" of Indian cultural influence....to such an extent that is has not only become an integral part of their culture and self identity..but even their origin myths.(eg, the Khmer (Cambodians) consider themselves the children Of an Indian King and a Naga princess).

I guess its time to bring my rambling post to a close. The defining feature of Indian culture is the way its spreads. Through cultural Diffusion rather than overt military or political means. Cultural Diffusion endures, Military and over political imposition never does. Oh it might take over an entire nation or region; however one cannot mesh oneself inseparably with the local fabric. Talking about the local fabric...I have to add that yet another unique feature of Indian cultural diffusion is its emphasis on assimilation. The Local South East Asian deities are still worshiped, within the Buddhist and Hindu fold. They were never destroyed or forbidden..I love the fact that the Performers in this video added some of their own Spanish singing to the jai ho video. This was exactly the case in the ancient times as well...the local population took Indian culture, merged it with their own, and enriched both cultures. And it is now happening again. It is by this give and take process that India has one of the most diverse cultures in the planet, which speaks volumes about the inherent tolerance built into this cultural model.For example, Indian travelers, traders, and adventures to the Asian countries took Indian culture to them and also brought back other influences. The Idli we from the Southern part of South Asia so adore, was actually brought from Indonesia nearly 2 millennia ago!.

It is this ever changing; yet changeless nature of Indian culture that attracts people of all shades and shores to it. As Vivekandana once said....It is by recognizing the common threads that bind humans together can the Human Race intend to survive.

props to those who read my reply without dozing off :P

Last edited:

^^ Truly spectacular performance by these folks. I knew that people who don't know a specific language can still song songs just based on phonetic pronunciation alone; but these guys have done their homework very well indeed.

With the advent of the Internet and easy access to information from around the world, Indian cultural exports are experiencing yet another huge revival.

The Unique feature of this is that unlike most other nation's export of their culture and ideals, India's has always been in the form of soft power. This was true when the mythical Kaudinya set foot on present day Cambodia....forever to influence South East Asia to such an extent that they came to be known as the Indianized kingdoms, was true when the Ancient Japanese referred to south Asia as Tenjiku (The center of heaven) and is true today as well; when people world over flock to see Bollywood movies and eat Indian "Curry".

The extent to which Indian culture has influenced even the west can be seen in the prolific usage of Indian terminology and concepts in used daily. To mention an example...I was listening to the local news yesterday; and there was a news segment about a robbery at a school. The school board administrator; who was giving the interview remarked " It's not good to do these stuff to a school...a place of education...they cannot escape this Karma". The mere fact that a mainstream American is able to use such a terminology without even blinking an eyelid or giving an explanation speaks volumes about the depths to which this Indian influence has spread.

Regions of the world which were formally disconnected from India due to sheer geographic distance (places such as south America) and Africa are experiencing this even as we speak. My friends from South America are always up to date on the newest Bollywood releases; so are most of the Asians(at least the major movies). I was dragged kicking and screaming by my japanese friends(cos I was willing to wait for the dvd to come out instead of watching it on the theater)to the theater to watch Slumdog Millionaire.....and by my Guatemalan friends to watch Gajini.:D . While watching Indian movies with such a diverse group I saw an amazing transformation happen. Even as they watched the movie, and occasionally made fun of the prolific dance-and song-sequences; the majority of them came out of the theater happy. Not only did they like those movies; Ive been repeatedly told by many that those movies completely changed their perception of India, to a positive one.

I'll be honest here. Most Indian movies are very formulaic. They follow time-tested Indian movie plots..and I can see most of them coming a mile ahead.Thus I try to be selective in what I watch. However; about 5% of so of the movies have good stories..some of them really good. Furthermore there is something "magical"(yes I use this word loosely here) about the Indian movies; to foreigners...Almost Jungian in its hypnotic pull. It's a window to a world about which they are not aware...one could even say its like Peter Pan's never never land....where even the wildest dreams might be possible. Joseph Campbell once said that "Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.". I would change this adage slightly and say "Indian movies are public dreams, dreams are private movies".

In today's world, when sophistry and robotic work define the lives of many people the world over...these movies speak to something inside them, A desire for some simple things in life...a desire that says; regardless the hardships and seemingly insurmountable odds, one can still realize one's dream. This is yet another theme in the Indian movies....a promise of hope, even for those in the darkest of hovels.

Those who watch these movies project their own desires and aspirations....their sorrows and yearning...onto this archetype....archetypes which are movies.Everyone who watches it, gains a different experience....based on their specific needs. If I can be forgiven for using computer terminology....Indian movies...and Indian culture is like an abstract class. It exists. People are more than willing..and even encouraged to take as much as they want...and implement it their way...due to their states.Nowhere is this more evident than in the Indianized states of South East Asia. The Thai's, the Cambodians...the Laotians and the Burmese.. Those from the south east Asian islands...all have their own "implementation" of Indian cultural influence....to such an extent that is has not only become an integral part of their culture and self identity..but even their origin myths.(eg, the Khmer (Cambodians) consider themselves the children Of an Indian King and a Naga princess).

I guess its time to bring my rambling post to a close. The defining feature of Indian culture is the way its spreads. Through cultural Diffusion rather than overt military or political means. Cultural Diffusion endures, Military and over political imposition never does. Oh it might take over an entire nation or region; however one cannot mesh oneself inseparably with the local fabric. Talking about the local fabric...I have to add that yet another unique feature of Indian cultural diffusion is its emphasis on assimilation. The Local South East Asian deities are still worshiped, within the Buddhist and Hindu fold. They were never destroyed or forbidden..I love the fact that the Performers in this video added some of their own Spanish singing to the jai ho video. This was exactly the case in the ancient times as well...the local population took Indian culture, merged it with their own, and enriched both cultures. And it is now happening again. It is by this give and take process that India has one of the most diverse cultures in the planet, which speaks volumes about the inherent tolerance built into this cultural model.For example, Indian travelers, traders, and adventures to the Asian countries took Indian culture to them and also brought back other influences. The Idli we from the Southern part of South Asia so adore, was actually brought from Indonesia nearly 2 millennia ago!.

It is this ever changing; yet changeless nature of Indian culture that attracts people of all shades and shores to it. As Vivekandana once said....It is by recognizing the common threads that bind humans together can the Human Race intend to survive.

Yes, it is long...but first hand experience...anytime better than the news items

MOE = Ministry Of Education
NOC = No Objection Certificate

a. There's no 'Ministry of Education' in India, that job is done by the Human Resource Development (HRD) ministry.

b. I know what an NOC is(D'uh!). I meant why is it needed?

I honestly don't like these silly threads.

If you wanna know what foreigners in general think of us,from internet culture perspective,just use the translated term for India from different languages and search for them on youtube.

This is what you"ll find in most of your searches.

YouTube - Crazy Indian Video... Buffalaxed!

YouTube - Indian Thriller Full Version ????????????

If i can interpret it right ,they think we Indians have a bizarre movie culture.

U interpret it wrong my friend. the videos that u mentioned are mere spoofs. u can find thousands of my them on internet regarding several countries.

Nice write up. I can also attest to similar experiences happened with my foreign friends. Now they are too fascinated about anything Bollywood. Sometimes I have to stop them from going to every other Bollywood release saying its a bad movie.

goras look strange wearing indian dresses..hehe

Thats because Pakistani school are cr@p and very politicized. I myself studied in Indian school and so did my sibling. My sister even taught in Indian school for few months but couldn't get NOC from MoE so had to drop that.

Can you elaborate more on the NOC from the MEA !!!!! please

a. There's no 'Ministry of Education' in India, that job is done by the Human Resource Development (HRD) ministry.

b. I know what an NOC is(D'uh!). I meant why is it needed?

I am suspecting this is somewhere in the ME as I myself was in the Indian schools there, and yes we did have a lot of Pakistani and East European students

What exactly is indian culture......
1.Is it wat depicted in bollywood
2.Iis it punjabi/north indian culture
3.is it south indian idli-dosa culture which differs in 4 states.
4.is it eastern indian bemgali culture
5.is it northeast culture.
6.is it hindu,islamic,sikh,chritian,buddhist culture.

if its all this above then its world culture and india doesnt ve monopoly on it.

I do not understand why some people on this forum ( @omar,somebozo etc) are so defensive regarding their culture and identity.

Pakistan is a great country with its own traditions and culture. U do not have to defend it all the time .

Also i am listening to this song while writing his post and I think u should too coz its Awesomeeeeeeeeee

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom