What's new

INDIAN CRUISE and BALLISTIC MISSILE ARSENAL

an old but important info

"Agni-III design is frozen... Agni-V has crossed material cutting stage and subsystem testing is going on. Agni-V is derivative of Agni-III. Practically it is the same missile but it is five metres longer and one tonne heavier. Its navigation system is same.

"Sixty percent missile is available and we are just adding another stage. It will be a three-stage missile and it is the first time we will be building a three-stage missile," Saraswat added.

India to test Agni-V; China, Pak within reach

so Agni 5 is may be 22 meters long as Dr. Chandar said in one interview on Livefist.

According to Dr Chander, the Agni-V will be 22-metres long and approximately 1-ton heavier than the Agni-III. The Agni-V's navigation system and warhead will be identical to the Agni-III, as will a great deal of subsystems, aggregates and electronics. The team has stated that 60 per cent of the first missile system is complete, while the remainder involves the crucial third stage of the missile. Dr Chander revealed today that the challenges that lie ahead include changes in the payload structure, introduction of extra heating and slight changes to the re-entry mechanism. The Agni-V will also be the first Indian missile with a composite rocket motor as opposed to a metallic one.

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...quyrBw&usg=AFQjCNGIR_PcvvWCLcU6dlK9tRhwTr-adw

Anyone can explain to me what the difference is between Cruise and Ballistic Missiles? And which one is more advanced?

Agni 5

100d1334832318-indian-defense-images-multimedia-agni_5.jpg

Type Intercontinental ballistic missile[1][2]
Place of origin India
Service history
In service 2014[3][4] (testing)
Used by Strategic Forces Command
Production history
Manufacturer Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO),
Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL)
Specifications
Weight 50,000 kg[5]
Length 17.5 m[6]
Diameter 2 metres (6 ft 7 in)
Warhead Nuclear
Warhead weight 1,500 kilograms (3,300 lb)[11]
Engine Three stage solid fuel
Operational
range Over 5,000 kilometres (3,100 mi)[1][8][9]

Speed Mach 24[7]
Guidance
system Ring laser gyroscope and inertial navigation system, optionally augmented by GPS. Terminal guidance with possible radar scene correlation

Launch
platform 8 x 8 Tatra TEL and rail mobile launcher (canisterised missile package) [10]
Transport Road or rail mobile

Agni-V is an intercontinental ballistic missile developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) of India. It is part of the Agni series of missiles, one of the missile systems under the original Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme. According to DRDO chief, the exact range of Agni V is "classified"[9] but afterwards he described Agni V as a missile with a range of 5,500-5,800 km.[3]

Agni-V - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone can explain to me what the difference is between Cruise and Ballistic Missiles? And which one is more advanced?

A cruise missile is like pilot-less aircraft, flies at a lower altitude, can carry sub-munitions, and difficult to detect by radar, even if detected slightly difficult to intercept as it is maneuverable, also it can make precision pin point strikes i.e can be used against moving targets also

A ballistic missile flies certain part of the path by radar guidance beyond that it is ballistics i.e laws of physics. Its easily detected because of heat signature and the altitude,but difficult to intercept as it is hypersonic. Ballistic missile is pretty much like a longe range artillery or rocket.

As far as i know , never came across any news, where a cruise missile was intercepted in combat.

Ballistic missile have been intercepted to 100% success rate.

A cruise missile is more advanced anyday.

A cruise missile is like pilot-less aircraft, flies at a lower altitude, can carry sub-munitions, and difficult to detect by radar, even if detected slightly difficult to intercept as it is maneuverable, also it can make precision pin point strikes i.e can be used against moving targets also

A ballistic missile flies certain part of the path by radar guidance beyond that it is ballistics i.e laws of physics. Its easily detected because of heat signature and the altitude,but difficult to intercept as it is hypersonic. Ballistic missile is pretty much like a longe range artillery or rocket.

A cruise missile is more advanced anyday.

Does a Intercontinental Cruise Missile Makes Sence To you? Or would you rather go for an ICBM?

Does a Intercontinental Cruise Missile Makes Sence To you? Or would you rather go for an ICBM?

Depends on the objective

An Intercontinental Cruise Missile will be used for a tactical purpose

An ICBM will be used for strategic purpose.

At this point only nation like USA which fights wars all over the world has a significance of an Intercontinental Cruise Missile.

Depends on the objective

An ICBM will be used for strategic purpose.

At this point only nation like USA which fights wars all over the world has a significance of an Intercontinental Cruise Missile.

I see, Its just because Turkey Decided to make 2500km Capable ICCM insted of the Usual ICBMs. AMde me wonder.

Thanks for the info

Weight 50,000 kg[5]
Length 17.5 m[6]
Diameter 2 metres (6 ft 7 in)
Warhead Nuclear
Warhead weight 1,500 kilograms (3,300 lb)[11]
Engine Three stage solid fuel
Operational
range Over 5,000 kilometres (3,100 mi)[1][8][9]
Speed Mach 24[7]

I doubt the speed is that much...its mentioned on the web but it could be speculative and i am saying this because both US and Russian ICBMs don't have such high speeds. Russian ICBM have speed upto Mach 15 and some people say that US Trident can go upto Mach 17 (Just speculation), then that will make A5, the fastest missile in the world...which i doubt it is...I think its speed must be close to Mach 12.

I see, Its just because Turkey Decided to make 2500km Capable ICCM insted of the Usual ICBMs. AMde me wonder.

Thanks for the info

A smart move.

a 2500km range ballistic missile is useless without a nuclear warhead.

with a 2500km range cruise missile Turkey can nicely sit at home and launch missile at targets instead of sending airforce of soldiers there. in other words a Tomahawk equivalent.

^^ a member here was saying Mach 24 is speed of A 5 when its RV renters the atmosphere

i think real speed of Agni 5 is around Mach 15

What is an ICCM ?? I never heard this kind of classification, simply because no cruise missile has a range more than 4000 km and these missiles comes under the category of long range cruise missile. For a missile to be intercontinental, it has to have a range more than 5000 km (as per Chinese, 7k-8k km).

I doubt the speed is that much...its mentioned on the web but it could be speculative and i am saying this because both US and Russian ICBMs don't have such high speeds. Russian ICBM have speed upto Mach 15 and some people say that US Trident can go upto Mach 17 (Just speculation), then that will make A5, the fastest missile in the world...which i doubt it is...I think its speed must be close to Mach 12.
well according to wikipedia,the frence M-51 missile has a sped of 25 mach
http://m-51 missile wikipedia
so,its very much posible that we have this speed

Back
Top Bottom