What's new

Indian Civil Nuclear News & Discussions.

One thing I don't understand.

Once a country knows how to build nuclear weapons, and has at least one civilian nuclear reactor, why do they need foreign help to build more civilian nuclear reactors?

Why can't India and Pakistan build their own nuclear reactors?

Asked whether the Russians had any role in developing the PWR, Dr. Banerjee said the development of a technology like this occurred in stages, and the PWR at Kalpakkam had been operating from September 2006. “In doing so, we have used the Russians as consultants. As far as efforts in designing, developing and maintaining the reactor are concerned, they are entirely ours,” the BARC Director said.

S. Basu, Director, BARC Facilities at Kalpakkam, also asserted that “everything is totally indigenous” about the PWR developed at Kalpakkam. “It has been developed by us. It is 100 per cent our reactor,” he said. Arihant was a demonstration of India’s indigenous capability to build a nuclear-powered submarine, and it was a joint endeavour of the DAE, the Navy and the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Mr. Basu said.

Rear Admiral Michael Moraes, Flag Officer Commanding (submarines), was sure the design of Arihant was good. The Navy had already trained the crew who would man it. For submarines, “it is a constant between stealth technology and the detection technology. Any strong nation will like to have a submarine fleet because they can go anywhere in the world,” Rear Admiral Moraes said.

See here for the complete news piece:
The Hindu : Front Page : Nuclear power reactors’ capacity factor will go up, says Anil Kakodkar

I love this non signatory of NTP and a known holder of atomic bombs is getting all the help from west yet Iran a signatory of NTP is getting threats.:victory:

Nothing against India building nuclear reactors i am just pointing out hypocrisy:rofl:

I'm of the same opinion. However, having worked closely with these self-stylized "superior-master-race", Indians will only be raped in the butt. This world is changing from white-Aryan controlled to democratic multi-polar -- and this scares them sh1tless! They can't sleep easy at night.

Indians are our brothers! We "sub-human savages" need to stick together! :cheers: Blood is thicker than water bro! :cheers:

Asked whether the Russians had any role in developing the PWR, Dr. Banerjee said the development of a technology like this occurred in stages, and the PWR at Kalpakkam had been operating from September 2006. “In doing so, we have used the Russians as consultants. As far as efforts in designing, developing and maintaining the reactor are concerned, they are entirely ours,” the BARC Director said.

S. Basu, Director, BARC Facilities at Kalpakkam, also asserted that “everything is totally indigenous” about the PWR developed at Kalpakkam. “It has been developed by us. It is 100 per cent our reactor,” he said. Arihant was a demonstration of India’s indigenous capability to build a nuclear-powered submarine, and it was a joint endeavour of the DAE, the Navy and the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Mr. Basu said.

Rear Admiral Michael Moraes, Flag Officer Commanding (submarines), was sure the design of Arihant was good. The Navy had already trained the crew who would man it. For submarines, “it is a constant between stealth technology and the detection technology. Any strong nation will like to have a submarine fleet because they can go anywhere in the world,” Rear Admiral Moraes said.

See here for the complete news piece:
The Hindu : Front Page : Nuclear power reactors’ capacity factor will go up, says Anil Kakodkar

Don't let their snickering bother you. If India joins hands with China + Pak, and if Japan wakes up from their naiveness then an Asian Century will be within reach. :cheers:

Don't let their snickering bother you. If India joins hands with China + Pak, and if Japan wakes up from their naiveness then an Asian Century will be within reach. :cheers:

Well its a nice thought...wish more from both sides share similar opinion...:cheers:

Why not include Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Myanmar as well bhutan, nepal and korea. :cheers:
b3963fdaddde3b00f9907cee59c8a695.gif
:pakistan::china: :sniper::usflag:

Why not include Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Myanmar as well bhutan, nepal and korea. :cheers:
b3963fdaddde3b00f9907cee59c8a695.gif

Of course our smaller brothers are included!!! :cheers: :yahoo: My fingers were tired of typing.:agree: You know when I said "Asian Century" it includes ALL ASIANS!

Many Japanese were 'content' (I don't know how to put it otherwise) with being 'Honorary Whites' and looked down on all non-whites. But many recent bad treatment by whites have forced them to get a REALITY CHECK!

Examples includes:

(1) racist rude treatment when they toured Europe,

(2) racist attacks for their dietary habits (i.e. Japanese staple diet is rice & seafood) in Australia in particular for eating dolphins and whales --- even when they do it in MODERATION (but these PSEUDO-animal-enviro-hypocrites ignore!)

(3) racial-targeting film about dolphin meat --- YES, if you film ANY animal being make meat of it is BLOODY --- that includes Hallal and Kosher food as well. :agree:

I don't want to see anybody being treated badly, but sometimes people who neglect other people's problems (i.e. "it doesn't happen to me, it's not my problem") need a REALITY CHECK now and then. :agree: If Japan wakes up to the truth, then yes an Asian Century is possible within the next decade!!!:woot:

I love this non signatory of NTP and a known holder of atomic bombs is getting all the help from west yet Iran a signatory of NTP is getting threats.:victory:

Nothing against India building nuclear reactors i am just pointing out hypocrisy:rofl:
It was stated from many countries that Iran has the right of civilian nuclear power, like other countries too. But if their president goes on denying the holocaust and threatening openly to destroy Israel, what do you expect?
In case of Indias nuke deal, it's just buisness! The US only gave it to us, to make more economic deals and now when the market is open, other countries can join too.

It was stated from many countries that Iran has the right of civilian nuclear power, like other countries too. But if their president goes on denying the holocaust and threatening openly to destroy Israel, what do you expect?
In case of Indias nuke deal, it's just buisness! The US only gave it to us, to make more economic deals and now when the market is open, other countries can join too.

History goes much deeper than that, even before they installed the Shah dictator to oppress the Iranians. Besides Amajinedad (wrong spelling I know!) did NOT say destroy Israel, but destroy ZIONISM -- big important difference.

Secondly, what he said is true (please research it for yourself!). Lastly, zionists want to 'eliminate' any 'competition' by 'any means'...... :hitwall:

correct the thread that india will buy these from russia not to build because india never build it

correct the thread that india will buy these from russia not to build because india never build it

For you information many parts have to be imported to build defense material. So, this is also case here. It will be built in India, with the help of Russia or whatever. The case is like that China helped Pakistan to build nuke.

Of course YOU would know!!! Since you are running the show on nuclear research here!!! Even American, French and Russian reactors contain imported components in varying degrees.

After the signing of indo_US civilian nuclear deal, any NSG country can sell nuclear related material to india barring exclsive nuclear tech.This deal provides india some status of defacto nuclear power state.

Instead of BS,why dont u just google??
But thats not ur intentions anyway.

By the way here are links to several indian indegenous nuclear power plants .

Madras Atomic Power Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rajasthan Atomic Power Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Far more no sites:
Nuclear Power Corporation of India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
One thing I don't understand.

Once a country knows how to build nuclear weapons, and has at least one civilian nuclear reactor, why do they need foreign help to build more civilian nuclear reactors?

Why can't India and Pakistan build their own nuclear reactors?

India has been develpoing its own nuclear reactor for power generation since the late 80s.

But they only produce 500MW of power so far.As this news article suggest india now plans to produce four more 700MW reactors.

But certainly lacks the experience of building 1000MW or more reactors which are in real demand and depends on country such as russia for big power project above 1000MW.Even US companies are now competing with Russa ,France after the signing Up nuke deal with USA.

Last edited:
Monday, August 10, 2009 : 1225 Hrs

Bangalore (PTI): India is embarking on opening new uranium mines and boosting nuclear power generation capacity as fuel supplies are expected to get a major push from domestic and international sources, a top scientist said.

Chairman of Atomic Energy Commission Anil Kakodkar told PTI here that the first consignment of 120 tonnes of uranium pellets had already landed in India, and the government was engaged in a dialogue with international vendor countries to get more such supplies.

Mr. Kakodkar said the uranium had been delivered under a kind of a long-term contract (with Russia). "They (Russia) will keep delivering and we will use it in the reactors, which we are putting under safeguards," he said.

"We also had a contract with Areva (of France) and uranium has come from there too," said Mr. Kakodkar, also Secretary in the Department of Atomic Energy.

The scientist said India was talking to a number countries, but did not name them saying that the discussions with some countries were "in very fluid stages".

Prospective vendor companies are currently in discussion mode and have to go through a lot of understanding about the reactors and their design, among other things, he said.

"Its not a shop where you go and buy. You have to customise in given site. That work is going on and after that it has to be costed. We have to find out what its going to cost us and we have said that electricity generation should be competitive with other alternatives which are available," Mr. Kakodkar said.

He said the vendors would have to do a lot of value additions within India. "Thats what we are emphasising. So, this is a detailed exercise as it may take some time. These are processes which easily take one year to one-and-half years," Mr. Kakodkar said.

India's current nuclear power generation capacity is 4,120 MW which is planned to be increased by around 3,000 MW within the next two years as some of the reactor projects are currently under construction. The focus is also on reaching full capacity at the existing and new nuclear power plants.

Mr. Kakodkar said the Government had given in-principle approval for setting up four 700 MW nuclear power plants and pre-project activity was in progress. The proposed plants, two of which are located in Rajasthan, are expected to get a formal approval soon.

On the investment needed for these four plants, he said typically it costs around Rs 6.5 crore per MW.

He said more nuclear power plants with 700 MW capacity would come in future. "After completion of negotiations with vendor countries under international civil nuclear cooperation, we should be able to define (new) projects. So, there is a growth path," Mr. Kakodkar said.

Mr. Kakodkar said, "We are also looking to set up additional mines. Some mines have already come on stream. Some projects are going on. But we want to start new projects."

He said some exploration work has been started at Gogi (near Gulbarga) in Karnataka "and hopefully we will be able to convert that also into a project".

"Then we are also looking at Meghalaya (for opening mines)," he said.

"Once we are able to start new mine projects which are in the exploration stage, then we want to proceed with some more heavy water reactors. That's tied-up with start-up on the uranium mines," Mr. Kakodkar said.

Asked about the update on the high temperature reactor, he said, "Its under development. It will take a while. We are developing basic materials, configuration and things like that."

Back
Top Bottom