What's new

Indian beheading of Pakistani Soldiers

notorious_eagle

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
On the of latest edition, (telecast a few hours ago, on the evening of the 15th of January, 2013) of ‘The Buck Stops Here’, (a flagship news show on NDTV anchored by Barkha Dutt) – ‘India-Pakistan:Another Tipping Point‘, Admiral (Retd.) Ramdas, former chief of the Indian Navy said he knew that Indian forces have beheaded Pakistani soldiers in the past. Gen. (Retd.) V.P. Malik, former chief of the Indian Army contradicted him, and said this had never happened. Barkha Dutt was silent on this matter.

Below is a summary of some highlights of the discussion.

Around 21:15 minutes into the programme, Admiral Ramdas says, “Beheading of Troops has been going on from both sides has been for some time, I mean there is evidence of this…”

Barkha Dutt, eager to change the subject, nervously interjects and says ‘I want you to comment, Sir, on Sporting and Cultural ties, because that is what has been hit today…’. Why is she so anxious to change the subject? Is it because Admiral Ramdas is clearly speaking about something she personally does not want spoken about?

Then, a little later, Ms. Dutt asks Gen. Malik to speak, she also asks him to talk whether ‘Sporting and Cultural Ties should become the fall-guy’.

Gen. V.P. Malik says (around 24:40 minutes into the program), “…And I don’t agree with Admiral (Ram) Das that both sides have been doing this, I would like to see anybody give me one instance where this kind of inhuman act has been done by the Indian army… I know that with great respect, we not only buried their bodies with great respect…we returned any body that they asked for.”

Barkha Dutt knows what Admiral Ramdas was talking about. As has been pointed out before on Kafila, she has written about it (the decapitation of Pakistani soldiers by the Indian army during the Kargil conflict in the summer of 1999) herself in Himal magazine (June, 2001).

I had to look three times to make sure I was seeing right. Balanced on one knee, in a tiny alley behind the army’s administrative offices, I was peering through a hole in a corrugated tin sheet. At first glance, all I could see were some leaves. I looked harder and amidst all the green, there was a hint of black—it looked like a moustache. “Look again,” said the army colonel, in a tone that betrayed suppressed excitement. This time, I finally saw.

It was a head, the disembodied face of a slain soldier nailed onto a tree. “The boys got it as a gift for the brigade,” said the colonel, softly, but proudly. [Archived at The Hoot]

So that is an instance where ‘this kind of inhuman act’ did happen. So why did she not say so to Gen. Malik. She is not ‘anybody’, she was there, and this is an issue that is being discussed on a show that she is anchoring. How long can it be before she gets called out for the gross irresponsibility of her reticence on this very crucial matter. Was she lying in 2001, or, is she concealing the truth now?

But the buck, doesn’t stop here.

Then, a BJP Politician and spokesman for his party, Ravi Shankar Prasad is asked by Barkha Dutt about the NDA’s record on India-Pakistan relations. She mentions Vajpayee as the architect of the India Pakistan Peace Process , Kargil, Parliament Attack, Hijacking of IC 814, Historic Ceasefire of 2003 etc.

Ravi Shankar Prasad begins, not by immediately addressing Barkha Dutt’s question, but by contradicting Admiral Ramdas. Around 26:39 minutes into the program, Ravi Shankar Prasad says – “…Mr. Ramdas has been a distinguished Naval chief, but for him to make a comment that even Indian forces have been beheading, I am happy Gen. Malik contradicted him very conclusively, Admiral Ramdas you need to understand that Pakistani people will lap up your comment, and seek to condemn Indian army in no uncertain terms, I am seeing that happening, for heavens sake don’t make these sweeping comments.”

“Don’t call on Heaven, Mr. Prasad” (Admiral Ramdas says, attempting to interject) but Barkha Dutt doesn’t let him speak. Once again, she does not contradict, question or challenge Ravi Shankar Prasad. Her evasion in this matter, at this point, when it has popped up on her program for the third time now, is a truly sweeping statement.

Then, Barkha Dutt moves on to Congress spokesman, Avishek Manu Singhvi, and other matters, and other panelists, Ashutosh Varshney and Leela Ponnappa, the question that Admiral Ramdas raised is forgotten, but it lingers, silent, and sullen, like the ghost of a beheaded soldier in the studio.

At the end of the programme, Shahvar Ali Khan, a musician from Lahore, Pakistan says “All the peace loving people of Pakistan are with the grief of the people of India.” He hopes that the present situation will not affect cultural and social ties.

Ravi Shankar Prasad says that he loves Pakistani Ghazal songs, but says artists, sportsmen and people who want peace are “fringe players”.

Then, Barkha Dutt asks Admiral Ramdas for a comment. He says, “If for so many years things have gone wrong, the fault lies not with sportsmen and artists, why punish them for what why have not done?”

Who makes the constituency of peace a fringe, and who makes the dogs of war, the people Shahvar Ali Khan calls the ‘hate-mongers’, on either side of the LOC, occupy the centre-stage, again and again?

If an important television journalist like Barkha Dutt talks about the fact that both armies have committed acts of savagery, which, I repeat, she says she knows, because she has said that she has seen this with her own eyes, it will weaken the dogs of war. This admission, coming from a public figure like her, will make it more difficult for the war-party on either side of the LOC to point their fingers only at people across the border.

Nothing can strengthen the constituency of peace more at this crucial juncture, than a little honest and public introspection, on both sides. Let us hope that will occur. Barkha Dutt can set the ball rolling, if she chooses to. The buck, starts with her.

Dear Barkha Dutt: The Buck Stops Where? « Kafila

I already knew of the gruesome acts that have been committed by both sides near the LOC. But i wanted to put something in literature and a testimony of someone who has credibility among the Indian populace. In the past few days, what astonished me was the attitude of the Indian members. The 'guilty' verdict was passed long before any investigation was completed. What was even more astonishing was the fact that Indian members refused to admit the fact that there side was the one who started this entire escalation, and refused to believe that their Army was ever involved in acts that were contrary to the 'Laws of Warfare'.

I am more inclined to blame the media and the Indian Government with their very well planned propaganda campaign that brainwashes the average Indian. The verdict is quite simple among the average Indian populace, India is the shining star and a model nation advocating peace. While on the other hand, Pakistan is the root cause of all the problems and India should be absolved of any blame. This is truly astonishing in my opinion, a well programmed propaganda campaign indeed has the ability to turn the most rational minds into blind followers.

I already knew of the gruesome acts that have been committed by both sides near the LOC. But i wanted to put something in literature and a testimony of someone who has credibility among the Indian populace. In the past few days, what astonished me was the attitude of the Indian members. The 'guilty' verdict was passed long before any investigation was completed.

Although I am generally with you that the issue was hyped too much and get too emotional, you have to see it from the other side as well! If the same happend the other way around, Pakistans media would have hyped it as well, just like many Pakistani members wouldn't have waited for an investigation to claim what they belive is the truth. Moreover, can you really blame Indians to directly point to Pakistan after India beeing constantly under attack from Pakistan (be it official or not)? The attack of the parliament, 26/11, similar war crimes during Kargil war and now this. It's the ammount of them that makes it more difficult to see it with a rational view and as I said, I have not even single doubt that it would be the same, if the case would be the other way around and we would have seen such attacks in Pakistan.

What was even more astonishing was the fact that Indian members refused to admit the fact that there side was the one who started this entire escalation, and refused to believe that their Army was ever involved in acts that were contrary to the 'Laws of Warfare'.

Which is a discussion that won't lead anyway, since even the official sites are in denial against eachother, so what do you expect from the common forumer? I could also say, that India has shown much to ease the tension between both countries and to improve the peace process (especially under MMS), by withdrawing forces from Indo-Pak borders and offering support to Pakistan during disasters like the major earthquakes or floods in the past and even officials of Indian forces in the last year constantly declared that they regard China as the bigger threat and pointed their focus on that issue.
On the other side, we have the above mentioned attacks, we have the number of border incursions at the LOC rising from Pakistans side during this time, not to mention the constant denial of any involvement of Pakistanis or from inside of Pakistan in any of the attacks against India, although even several foreign governments, intelligence reports, or like the latest case, even courts confirm that there are relations (Headly an Rana case).

With all this in mind, it gets hard to have reasonable discussions with Pakistanis on this matter, when the first thing you do is to point the finger at us and that there could be mistakes or failures from our soldiers as well (although not in such an horrific way, otherwise I am sure Pakistani officials had made it public as too). For both sides, it is easier to blame the other, instead of looking on our own and our problems and admit them, isn't it?

Imo, the issue is not who started first, or if this were official Pakistani troops or not. I am more interested in solutions to keep the peace process not only running, because at the end that is the only hope for both of our countries and that such incedents and the killings alongside our borders will end. Therefor it would be encouraging (especially now!), if Pakistan would start to contribute more to it and there are things Pakistan can do, like field own investigations of this issue with UN or US, bring the planners of 26/11 at least to an international court and let them decide if these people are guilty or not, focus more on the the real threat for Pakistan, which are Taliban, Terrorists, Mudjaheddin, or whoever runs around, can't be controled by the state officials and are killing way more Pakistanis than in any war against India.

General Musharraf's interview with Times Now gives support to Pakistani claims of not being indulged in this activity. He explained the structure of LoC, with long and deep trenches with snipers at both sides. With tension high (2 days of ceasefire violation) the troops on both sides would be extra alert, how can one cross border in this situation (plus going 600m deep) without being noticed, take their time to behead a soldier and return with head at the same high tension border? It could have been anyone else, or possibly themselves though the probability is low. There have been incidents where frustrated soldiers kill colleagues and CO, then themselves.

Back
Top Bottom