What's new

Indian backpacker in Vietnam vlogs

Do they have jetskiing and stuff like that? This summer I went wakeboarding.....painful when you are learning how to do it right...but loads of fun once you get the hang of it.
I saw some people para-sailing and there's is an amusement park on that island in the centre of the pic.

Rent a bike and travel all the way from South to North.I did a small stretch from Da Lat to Nha Trang on bike and it was way better than Air and Bus.

Stumbled across this, Vietnam looks like a great, fascinating place to visit....it is on my bucket list for sure!

If my Viet friends on this forum could tell me if there are any corrections/suggestions/random comments they have for this vlog that would be great...

I always found selfie-stick people annoying....but now I see the point (somewhat!)

Viets seem to be overall really friendly people to strange brown foreigners. Good to see!
My dad had visited Vietnam few months back. To a person who is not really a non-vegetarian, places like Vietnam 're not something that they visit voluntarily; daddy was on an official visit. Albeit, he liked the place.
A few pictures that he had sent across reminded me of North east India; small houses on hills. :)
Since this place is on your bucket list, i want you to go there first and find me a few vegetarian restaurants. Lol
Kidding!
I would surely luv to visit the place and people. :-)

My dad had visited Vietnam few months back. To a person who is not really a non-vegetarian, places like Vietnam 're not something that they visit voluntarily; daddy was on an official visit. Albeit, he liked the place.
A few pictures that he had sent across reminded me of North east India; small houses on hills. :)
Since this place is on your bucket list, i want you to go there first and find me a few vegetarian restaurants. Lol
Kidding!

Yah veggie food can be tough in places. But the viet places in canada are pretty veggie friendly....not an issue to me really since I eat almost anything :P...but still like to have veg food now and then.

I will keep you in the loop about it, but this trip is somewhat in the future heh.

Yah veggie food can be tough in places. But the viet places in canada are pretty veggie friendly....not an issue to me really since I eat almost anything :P...but still like to have veg food now and then.

I will keep you in the loop about it, but this trip is somewhat in the future heh.
The place is beautiful and people are humble, food can be managed. I will live in hotel apartments if i were to visit places far east.:angel:
I do not have any friends from far east, so i do not have much knowledge about their culture and food. Last, someone had sent me a video of an octopus being eaten alive, that was shot in Vietnam. The girl in the video ate it so cutely and with ease,that any vegan would try it after watching the video. Lol

The place is beautiful and people are humble, food can be managed. I will live in hotel apartments if i were to visit places far east.:angel:
I do not have any friends from far east, so i do not have much knowledge about their culture and food. Last, someone had sent me a video of an octopus being eaten alive, that was shot in Vietnam. The girl in the video ate it so cutely and with ease,that any vegan would try it after watching the video. Lol

Haha, yes I have exposure to east asian palate growing up in HK and singapore.

The flavours are generally more delicate and simple...maybe one or two seasonings at most. It is often quite plain for Indian palate. Most of the veg food will include raw/boiled/fried veggies, bean sprouts, tofu, mushrooms etc.

Generally in East Asia when touring if you are veggie/close veggie....you need to know the word for "Buddhist food" or similar...they will understand right away....but sometimes you will get a fish sauce or broth as well so it helps to have a friend or be part of a tour group etc if you have dietary restrictions/preferences/allergies etc.

Like my good Canadian friend has a tremendously bad allergy to sweet peppers (capsicum)...so when we are out for dinner at say a cantonese restaurant, we always found it useful to take a cantonese friend along to explain it.

Friends do help a lot! Its why I never got to worry when I stop by Hong Kong for a visit even after all these years away and forgetting most of my cantonese...buddies always take up the slack. :P

It also helps if you are veggie to be open to trying "mock meat" (that is made out of tofu/seitan/tempeh and other soy/plant proteins)....since that is a staple at buddhist restaurants/dishes/monasteries (having toured China myself).

Generally in East Asia when touring if you are veggie/close veggie....you need to know the word for "Buddhist food" or similar...they will understand right away....but sometimes you will get a fish sauce or broth as well so it helps to have a friend or be part of a tour group etc if you have dietary restrictions/preferences/allergies etc.
I know..i know ...:raise:

I have a friend in HK.... @Chinese-Dragon
Yay!
He will translate it for me. Friend in need is a friend indeed. :yes4:

I know..i know ...:raise:

I have a friend in HK.... @Chinese-Dragon
Yay!
He will translate it for me. Friend in need is a friend indeed. :yes4:

There is a guy @Yizhi who i talked a bit with about HK culture (he is from its border town Shenzhen) when I first joined. He promised to host me if I'm in Shenzhen again so I can compare how its changed from what I remember as 10 year old boy when I went there hehe.

And @xiao qi has promised to introduce me to a vietnamese girl when i come to vietnam.

I like this forum beyond what I thought I would :D

Kidding!

Levina, Its actually no problem to find vegetarian eateries in Vietnam, there are lots of them everywhere. I'm 80-90% vegetarian myself. I think the problem for a visitor is more about how to find and how to recognise a vegetarian place.

Here is the key word "CHAY* (vegetarian) You'll see that word in the name (usually at the end of the name) of the vegetarian places. By the way, vegetarian food in Vietnam is super cheap.

And by the way, Vietnamese vegetarian places are excellent at making fake meats and that can also be another issue, a foreigner may think that is real meat.

Here is the key word "CHAY* (vegetarian) You'll see that word in the name (usually at the end of the name) of the vegetarian places. By the way, vegetarian food in Vietnam is super cheap
Thank you.
That was so very informative.
I will convey this to my father who frequents countries in Far East. Do they use the same word in China too? Any idea?

Vietnamese vegetarian places are excellent at making fake meats and that can also be another issue, a foreigner may think that is real meat.
Fake meat?
As in? Do you mean the red meat served as that of a cow, might actually belong to some other animal?
Very recently I came across a video in which a man made fake cabbage. Fake meat is news to me.

Thank you.
That was so very informative.
I will convey this to my father who frequents countries in Far East. Do they use the same word in China too? Any idea?

No, in China the vocabulary would be totally different and the alphabet too. In China (Where I travel all the time) I have not seen any vegetarian restaurant other than in the temples.

Fake meat?
As in? Do you mean the red meat served as that of a cow, might actually belong to some other animal?
Very recently I came across a video in which a man made fake cabbage. Fake meat is news to me.

Fake meat as a meat look alike that is made out of vegan sources, usually soybean, mushrooms, etc. That's actually very typical in vegetarian food; in USA they have vegetarian burgers that are like that, its quite common. The vietnamese do it really well and just by the looks of it, you will think that is the real thing.

Of all the countries in Southeast Asia that I have experience with, Vietnam is the most vegetarian friendly one by far. In Vietnam Buddhism has 3 or 4 days a month where they recommend that people eat vegetarian and many people follow that.

Great videos Nilgiri! :tup:

Honestly I think this kind of reaching out into the world is more important than the pointless and endless debates on Kashmir!

Back
Top Bottom