What's new

Indian Air Force News & Discussions

So the Indian Mig-29s will be as capable as Mig-35. But why is Russia doing this? India now has lesser incentive to award the MRCA contract to Russia.

So the Indian Mig-29s will be as capable as Mig-35. But why is Russia doing this? India now has lesser incentive to award the MRCA contract to Russia.
On the engine side, yes! AESA radar and even IRST could follow , but ther airframe changes (more internal fuel, more weapon stations) won't change I think. Anyway for our use as an air superiority fighter an just in addition to MKI and MMRCA it will be very useful for another decade.
The Mig 29K will really be a Mig 35K with that engine and radar and would be a good deal for our carriers.
For MMRCA this means a great advantage in commonality if Mig 35 would win the competition. That's why they are ready to provide the techs for older Migs also, because it will make it much cheaper to operate. They hope this point can hide all the problems Mig has at the moment, but with all the trouble we had just in the last few month and specially because of the high dependence on Russia a win is more than unlikely!

Last edited:
India and Russia to ink a deal for the joint development and production of MTA in September

In line with the BrahMos cruise missile project, India and Russia are expected to ink a deal during Defence Minister A K Antony`s Moscow visit next month on setting up of a joint venture for production of state-of-art multi-role transport aircraft (MTA) for their air forces.

The `formal agreement` for floating the MTA JV is expected to be signed in September during Antony`s Moscow visit for the session of Joint Commission on military- technical cooperation, said V Balakrishnan, general manager of Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL) aircraft manufacturing division.

The Russian government has cleared the formalities for the creation of 50-50 JV and prime minister Vladimir Putin has allocated funds for financing Russia`s share, he said.

From the Indian side HAL will hold 50% equity in the JV.

The inter-government agreement for the joint development and production of MTA was inked in 2006 during the then President Putin`s India visit, as the air forces of both the countries are seeking to replace their ageing Soviet-era Antonov series transport aircraft.

Balakrishnan said IAF has evinced interest in acquiring 40 MTA aircraft for transporting troops, military hardware and military cargo with option of buying more aircraft, while the Russian air force has confirmed readiness to acquire 100 planes.

According to earlier reports under the USD 600 million JV, a highly advanced transport aircraft with the capacity of 20 tons and capable of landing on any type of runway, including in the high Himalayan altitudes, would be developed on the basis of Ilyushin Il-214 aircraft.

HAL and Ilyushin are to co-design and develop the aircraft.

ASIAN DEFENCE: India and Russia to ink a deal for the joint development and production of MTA in September

Everyone is trying to sweeten their deal as much as they can, and as we all know, this order will not only for 126, but it can go up to 200. So Russia is playing its cards wisely.. and what if India split the order ?? Like 126+ some Russian????:smokin:

Everyone is trying to sweeten their deal as much as they can, and as we all know, this order will not only for 126, but it can go up to 200. So Russia is playing its cards wisely.. and what if India split the order ?? Like 126+ some Russian????:smokin:

I think I read somewhere that the Air Force was keen on not splitting the order between two fighter jets.

Anyways, I'm of the opinion that India should buy F-16 Super Viper.

It will be much more advanced than what the Pakistanis currently have.

I think I read somewhere that the Air Force was keen on not splitting the order between two fighter jets.

No mate, it won't! Except of AESA radar and maybe and some avionics it will be the same fighter, with nearly the same capabilities and the same weapons.
Also it is maybe the contender that offers the least amount of commonality to LCA MK2, because the engine will be different and I doubt they will give us much ToT on radar and avionics, which should have some techs of F35 included. And why should IAF take a fighter that PAF and PLAAF knows very well?
Another main issue is MLU! We could be the last operator of them and who will provide an upg for that fighters in 15 - 20 years? It is an old airframe which has no future, not a good choice for IAF.

Well may be Air force don't want to split the order, but We all should not forget that there are many political points attached with the deal. India is not only buying these fighter jets,but with this deal we are also getting much more on political grounds. And as i already said, before the deal would be finalised, we would see many other offers. :pop:

they r offering Zhuk AESA for MiG-29s as well???;)

they r offering Zhuk AESA for MiG-29s as well???;)

Pardon my ignorance but from where did this question came from?

Existing MiG-29's of IAF are upgraded with Zhuk AESA.

India, Russia Sign $960 Million Mig-29 Contract, Times Reports

By Saikat Chatterjee

March 8 (Bloomberg) -- India signed a $960 million contract with Russia to upgrade the Mig-29 fighter jets inducted into the Indian Air Force in the mid-1980s, the Times of India reported, citing an unidentified defense ministry official.

The plan will help the Indian Air Force extend the life of its 69 Mig-29 aircraft to 40 years from the present 25 years, the newspaper said.

The upgrade, to be completed within three years, will involve addition of the multi-functional ZhukME radar and a new weapons control system, the report said.

The first six Mig-29s will be upgraded in Russia while the rest be done at the Indian Air Force base in the western Indian city of Nasik, the newspaper said

Hope it helps.

GB

Pardon my ignorance but from where did this question came from?

Existing MiG-29's of IAF are upgraded with Zhuk AESA.

India, Russia Sign $960 Million Mig-29 Contract, Times Reports

By Saikat Chatterjee

March 8 (Bloomberg) -- India signed a $960 million contract with Russia to upgrade the Mig-29 fighter jets inducted into the Indian Air Force in the mid-1980s, the Times of India reported, citing an unidentified defense ministry official.

The plan will help the Indian Air Force extend the life of its 69 Mig-29 aircraft to 40 years from the present 25 years, the newspaper said.

The upgrade, to be completed within three years, will involve addition of the multi-functional ZhukME radar and a new weapons control system, the report said.

The first six Mig-29s will be upgraded in Russia while the rest be done at the Indian Air Force base in the western Indian city of Nasik, the newspaper said

Hope it helps.

GB
The Zhuk ME is the PESA radar used in all SMT standard Mig 29, but the AESA of Mig 35 is called Zhuk AE.

Joint transport exercise with USAF

On October 19 this year, India and the US will begin conducting a five-day exercise involving their transport aircraft. According to a statement issued today by the IAF, the participating IAF aircraft include the IL-76, An-32 and Mi-17 chopper, while the Americans will field a C-17 Globemaster-III, a C-130J Super Hercules and a C-130H tactical transport. The IAF statement says, "The exercise is aimed at evaluating the efficacy of joint operations in the realm of tactics, aero medical aspects and Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) missions involving medium and heavy lift transport aircraft."

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: IAF-USAF Joint Transport Exercise This October

well I don't think the f-16 would be a good choice against the PAf...the Paf has been flying the f-16s for a long time now...we'd take years to reach their expertise...they have some of the most renowned f-16 pilots in the world...it has been their most advanced aircraft...and they really are resourceful...not a good option to go against the enemy with an a/c they'd know better about than you.

The Only real contenders for this Deal are the
Euro Fighter(Some ToT + design partner)(Aesa radar included)(Super cruise)

Mig-35(easy integration + Full ToT)(Aesa included + optional trust vectoring)

F/A-18 super hornet (Political gains)(Aesa incuded)[-no ToT][old airframe]

The Dassault Rafale has no Aesa Radar, provides no bonus incentive beyond the fact that its a good plane.
ToT will be limited at best.
License build also out of the question, leaving India Hanging high and dry for spare from a potentially unreliable source.
Finaly getting The Dassault Rafale has little impact on the IAF beyond the actual planes. Whilst the other Conteders can signify a more strategic move by India.

Euro Fighter(Some ToT + design partner)(Aesa radar included)(Super cruise)
There is no sign to come aesa before 2013
The Dassault Rafale has no Aesa Radar, provides no bonus incentive beyond the fact that its a good plane.
ToT will be limited at best.
License build also out of the question, leaving India Hanging high and dry for spare from a potentially unreliable source.
Finaly getting The Dassault Rafale has little impact on the IAF beyond the actual planes. Whilst the other Conteders can signify a more strategic move by India.
Test of RBE-2 AESA radar complited end of 2010 it will come to the producation. france promised to give full tot. I think it is the best aircarft that IAF looking otherwise go for EF

There is no sign to come aesa before 2013

Test of RBE-2 AESA radar complited end of 2010 it will come to the producation. france promised to give full tot. I think it is the best aircarft that IAF looking otherwise go for EF

well thanks for setting my facts straight.
forgive my ignorance.

In that case i must agree it will be between the Rafael an EF

Back
Top Bottom