What's new

Indian Air Force News & Discussions

It is a headache but definitely doable - all really depends on the OEMs of those radars agreeing to do it. It is not in the interest of these suppliers to let it happen but they may see a bigger picture to it.
Already integrated with EL/M2052; Uttam and Bars NO11M, have to wait for ZhukME for Mig29upg and Mig29M. Dassault will be tricky but doable.
Hopefully, IAF comes to its senses and replaces all Zhuk ME's with ELM 2052 or Uttams.

Already integrated with EL/M2052; Uttam and Bars NO11M, have to wait for ZhukME for Mig29upg and Mig29M. Dassault will be tricky but doable.
Hopefully, IAF comes to its senses and replaces all Zhuk ME's with ELM 2052 or Uttams.
Is it really worth the cost?

During or preceding a conflict, all that matters is how much of the equipment can be locally made and equipped. Plus indigenous fighters are coming. Will need our own missiles.
I was referring specifically to the Zhuk-ME integration. How much lifetime would those UPGs have left in them?
There was an advice on the IN simply moving straight to a pure SH fleet and "dumping" the 35s on the IAF.
Eventually, those Migs would either warrant the AMCA or otherwise - does it make sense(unless money is burning a hole in the IAF's pocket..as it seem to be with many decisions made for the past 15 years) to upgrade airframes a second time instead of moving them slowly down the line to be replaced eventually?

I was referring specifically to the Zhuk-ME integration. How much lifetime would those UPGs have left in them?
There was an advice on the IN simply moving straight to a pure SH fleet and "dumping" the 35s on the IAF.
Eventually, those Migs would either warrant the AMCA or otherwise - does it make sense(unless money is burning a hole in the IAF's pocket..as it seem to be with many decisions made for the past 15 years) to upgrade airframes a second time instead of moving them slowly down the line to be replaced eventually?
The oldest of UPG fleet should have around 2000 hours left now. The Out of service date for them was stated to be starting from 2032.
The Navy fleet will have more like somewhere between 4000-5000 hours still. So like 20+ years.

And Russian/Ukrainian origin missiles need replacing or rebuilding every 10 or so years. Saves cost if you have your own Missile.

Plus we already paid a lot for useless ToT on the Mig29 UPG program. Better to use it somehow. I don't see how we can use the engine tech as it was just for assembly and testing but the backend working of Zhuk is now with us. So integrating our weapons will be easy. We don't really own or have access to the radars of Mirage or Rafale, so integrating our weapons there will be a problem. Let's see.

Is it really worth the cost?
Zhuk ME was a cheap upgrade for IAF Mig29s and a compromise for the Navy as Zhuk (FGA35) family was not mature enough. Given LCA Mk2 is far off and the needed number of Rafales are not coming, we need Mig29s in the air for far longer than intended. A decent Aesa with Astra I/II will be potent and cost-effective going forward. Uttam and ELM 2052 also open up derby I, Derby ER, and existing derby IV and Python combos to utilize.

The oldest of UPG fleet should have around 2000 hours left now. The Out of service date for them was stated to be starting from 2032.
The Navy fleet will have more like somewhere between 4000-5000 hours still. So like 20+ years.

And Russian/Ukrainian origin missiles need replacing or rebuilding every 10 or so years. Saves cost if you have your own Missile.

Plus we already paid a lot for useless ToT on the Mig29 UPG program. Better to use it somehow. I don't see how we can use the engine tech as it was just for assembly and testing but the backend working of Zhuk is now with us. So integrating our weapons will be easy. We don't really own or have access to the radars of Mirage or Rafale, so integrating our weapons there will be a problem. Let's see.

11 Tejas Mk1 aircraft are expected to be delivered by March next year with the balance being delivered in 2023-24...

Further, delivery of 83 LCA Mk-1A aircraft with improved capabilities is under progress.

IAF has acquired 24 second-hand Mirage 2000s to bolster its fighter fleet squadron.

Out of the 24 fighters, 13 are in complete condition with engine and airframe intact with eight of them (nearly half a squadron) ready to fly after servicing.

The remaining 11 fighters are partially complete but with fuel tanks and ejection seats, which will be scavenged to secure parts for IAF’s existing squadrons of the fighter

It is not a case of it being possible or not, but for sure you can expect much more money, testing, delays and problems as opposed to getting a mature system already mated together. That is just obvious to anyone with very basic knowledge.
Pakistani Air Force has the largest number of Chengdu J7, Mirage 3 and Mirage 5 which are five decades old and can be considered equivalent to MiG-21 🙂

Last edited:
In last 2 years now, HAL have delivered zero, repeat, ZERO Tejas to IAF.....

Unless you are saying that 27 were in service in 2020 itself, you are mistaken.

Can you read my post properly? Yes, 27 are in service, how many of those 27 were delivered in last 2 years? Zero.

Something is obvioulsy deeply wrong with this programme that HAL/IAF are hiding

Can you read my post properly? Yes, 27 are in service, how many of those 27 were delivered in last 2 years? Zero.

Something is obvioulsy deeply wrong with this programme that HAL/IAF are hiding
Again, in 2020 when the 2nd squadron was being raised. They didn't had 27 aircrafts then. They started with just 2 then. A total of 9 Aircrafts have been delivered in 2 years.

Again, in 2020 when the 2nd squadron was being raised. They didn't had 27 aircrafts then. They started with just 2 then. A total of 9 Aircrafts have been delivered in 2 years.
Incorrect, there have been zero deliveries in last 2 years, can you find a source? HAL/IAF/Indian Gov make a massive sing and dance when one even has a test flight so deliveries always make headlines. No point lying anymore

Incorrect, there have been zero deliveries in last 2 years, can you find a source? HAL/IAF/Indian Gov make a massive sing and dance when one even has a test flight so deliveries always make headlines. No point lying anymore
By your logic then only tail numbers till 20 should exist. But tail numbers upto 28 are flying. Are they imaginary?

SP35 is flying, meaning 31 out of 32 single seaters have been rolled out.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom