What's new

Indian Air Force News & Discussions

MKIs are 162 in service. With atleast 20 more built but not inducted as yet.
MiG-27s are 145 (105 Mig-27M and 40 Mig-27UPG)
MiG-21s are some 173 (123 Mig-21 Bison, 30 Mig-21M Type-96, >20 Mig-21U Type-69B) some of these are in reserve.
MKIs are 159, for other 3 crashed;
MIG21 will retire between 2014--2017, but this depends on when and speed of Rafale entering service

MKIs are 159, for other 3 crashed;
MIG21 will retire between 2014--2017, but this depends on when and speed of Rafale entering service

No the no. of MKIs in service right now is 162. The 3 crashes were in 2009 and late-2011.
A lot of MKIs have been inducted since then. The no. stands at 162 today and keeps growing
till it reaches 272 (replacements for the 3 crashed planes included).

Now there is a deal for a further 42 MKIs (of Super-Sukhoi standard) to be signed
during Putin's visit in December, taking the total no. of MKIs for IAF to 314.

---

Most of IAF's MiG-21s today are Bisons which are all equipped with EL/L-8222 jammers,
new-build airframe, R-77P BVRAAMs etc. They will only be replaced by 2017. The older
MiG-21Ms and MiG-21Us will start going by 2014...they will be the replaced by LCA,
not Rafale.

Rafale will replace the MiG-27M "Flogger-K" starting 2017 in the interdiction/ground-attack
role.

Not only the CAS role will be dramatically improved, but also the SEAD capabilities, where IAF will be able to field different fighters, weapons and tactics. Be it at short, medium or long distances, attacking the radar, or the whole systems at once, in single type or combo attack.

SEAD weapons:

AASM (possibly SPICE) PGMs
Kh 31P anti radiation missiles
Scalp cruise missiles
(possibly JSOW or Pilum stand off weapons)

Weight classes, from 125 to 1200Kg
Range from 55 to 290Km

Don't forget the Harpys and Harops.

NEW DELHI: The US is now all set to bag yet another mega Indian defence deal, with the iconic Boeing-manufactured Chinook heavy-lift helicopters emerging as the cheaper option than its strong contender the Russian Mi-26 choppers.

Defence ministry sources said the commercial bid for the twin-rotor Chinook, which has seen recent action in Iraq and Afghanistan, has emerged as the "L-1 (lowest bidder)" in comparison to the Mi-26 after both the huge helicopters passed the extensive technical field trials conducted by Indian Air Force (IAF).

"The present contract is for 15 such multi-mission helicopters. The Chinook bid was lower both in terms of initial direct acquisition cost as well as life cycle cost. The contract negotiation committee will now finalize the deal for the Chinook," said a source.

Known for their powerful contra-rotating tandem rotors, Chinooks are being operated by around 20 countries for heavy-lift assault, troop movement, logistics support, aerial battlefield recovery and special operations. Capable of being refuelled mid-air for extended range, a Chinook can carry 55 combat-ready troops or over 11,100 kg of logistical supplies or weight.

This is the second time that American helicopters have outclassed — both technically and commercially — their Russian counterparts in recent months. As reported earlier, India is getting ready to order 22 heavy-duty Apache attack helicopters for around $1.4 billion.

Boeing's AH-64D Apache Longbow met all ASQRs (air staff qualitative requirements) but its contender the Russian Mil Moscow Helicopter Plant's Mi-28 Havoc had failed to pass muster during the field trials held by IAF.

Overall, the Indian armed forces are looking to induct as many as 900 helicopters in the coming decade, including 440 light-utility and observation, naval multi-role (90), light combat (65), heavy-duty attack (22), medium-lift (139) and heavy-lift (15), among others. Several of these procurement and production projects are meandering through the long-winding acquisition process.

The US is increasingly bagging deals in the lucrative Indian defence market, having already notched up military sales worth over $8 billion in the last few years. These include the $4.1 billion contract for 10 C-17 Globemaster-III strategic airlift aircraft, $2.1 billion for eight P-8I maritime patrol aircraft and $962 million for six C-130J "Super Hercules" planes. Negotiations are being finalized for acquiring six more C-130J as well as four more P-8I aircraft.

There was a lot of heartburn in the US after its F-16 and F/A-18 fighters lost out to the French Rafale in the almost $20 billion MMRCA (medium multi-role combat aircraft) project to supply 126 jets to IAF, which is in the final commercial negotiations stage.

Guys it looks like we are going to get Chinooks :woot: they are the lowest bidder

Was the A330 MRTT selected?

Airbus Wins India’s Tanker Rebid

Airbus has been selected as the preferred vendor over Russia’s Ilyushin to supply six aerial tankers for the Indian Air Force in a $1 billion tender, according to Indian Defence Ministry officials.

After the commercial bids were opened earlier this month, the base price of the Russian Il-78 tanker was quoted as lower than that of the A330, but when factoring in maintenance and fuel costs, the Airbus was the better value, said a Defence Ministry official. The official refused to provide the exact quotes of the bids, and said the Russian government-owned company had not yet been officially informed about the decision...

Airbus Wins India’s Tanker Rebid | Defense News | defensenews.com

^^^ there was no doubt about that, but we have to wait till official confirmation.

Paralysed trainee pilot appeals to IAF for grant of commission, Air chief steps in to Help

A 19-year-old cadet, who became paralysed below waist before completing his training to become a fighter pilot, has appealed to the IAF for grant of a commission as he is capable of performing a desk job.

Moved by the zeal of the youngster, IAF Chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne today met Defence Minister A K Antony to discuss if the government could make an exception to help the cadet fulfil his desire, sources said here.

The IAF at the highest level is in favour of making an exception in the cadet’s case as he is still capable of working in a non-operational branch of the force, they said.

The cadet had recently filed the plea with the IAF expressing his wish, they said.

He was paralysed after suffering injuries while ejecting from a trainer aircraft while carrying out a practice sortie.

Cadets in the lower medical category are not granted commission into the armed forces and they have to leave their training midway because of their medical condition.

The Air Force has taken several steps to ensure that its trainee pilots do not suffer grievous injuries and has acquired new aircraft including Hawk Advanced Jet Trainers from the UK and Pilatus Basic Jet Trainers from Switzerland.

Paralysed trainee pilot appeals to IAF for grant of commission, Air chief steps in to Help | idrw.org

:tup::tup:

Paralysed trainee pilot appeals to IAF for grant of commission, Air chief steps in to Help

A 19-year-old cadet, who became paralysed below waist before completing his training to become a fighter pilot, has appealed to the IAF for grant of a commission as he is capable of performing a desk job.

Moved by the zeal of the youngster, IAF Chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne today met Defence Minister A K Antony to discuss if the government could make an exception to help the cadet fulfil his desire, sources said here.

The IAF at the highest level is in favour of making an exception in the cadet’s case as he is still capable of working in a non-operational branch of the force, they said.

The cadet had recently filed the plea with the IAF expressing his wish, they said.

He was paralysed after suffering injuries while ejecting from a trainer aircraft while carrying out a practice sortie.

Cadets in the lower medical category are not granted commission into the armed forces and they have to leave their training midway because of their medical condition.

The Air Force has taken several steps to ensure that its trainee pilots do not suffer grievous injuries and has acquired new aircraft including Hawk Advanced Jet Trainers from the UK and Pilatus Basic Jet Trainers from Switzerland.

Paralysed trainee pilot appeals to IAF for grant of commission, Air chief steps in to Help | idrw.org

:tup::tup:
This is very sad but as harsh as it may sound I don't think it is right for the IAF to make an example. There are strict requrements all candidates must meet in order to get a commision and unfortunatly for him this candidate does not meet the requirements. The rules shouldn't be bent for one guy, if you go down this route where do you draw the line? There must be tens of thousands of others who have not met the high critieria and have been refused commissions- how do you square this exception with them?

Yes of course this incident is unique given how the injury happened but what should happen is he receives compensation where applicable ( I don't know if the IAF is culpable for this incident) but entry into the IAF is not something that should happen.

But, hey, this is just my opinion.

This is very sad but as harsh as it may sound I don't think it is right for the IAF to make an example. There are strict requrements all candidates must meet in order to get a commision and unfortunatly for him this candidate does not meet the requirements. The rules shouldn't be bent for one guy, if you go down this route where do you draw the line? There must be tens of thousands of others who have not met the high critieria and have been refused commissions- how do you square this exception with them?

Yes of course this incident is unique given how the injury happened but what should happen is he receives compensation where applicable ( I don't know if the IAF is culpable for this incident) but entry into the IAF is not something that should happen.

But, hey, this is just my opinion.

Show some heart man.. the guy got injured while on training..not at home...further he is not asking for a pilot job instead some other job. Its no secret that if you know "someone" at good rank in the forces you can easily get low level job..may be promotions also.. so why not this guy ? By the way i am pretty much sure he got injured because either he was flying some stone age trainer or ejection seat was not upto standard. Hope soon they replace all trainers with AJT and Piltus etc.

Show some heart man.. the guy got injured while on training..not at home...further he is not asking for a pilot job instead some other job. Its no secret that if you know "someone" at good rank in the forces you can easily get low level job..may be promotions also.. so why not this guy ? By the way i am pretty much sure he got injured because either he was flying some stone age trainer or ejection seat was not upto standard. Hope soon they replace all trainers with AJT and Piltus etc.
Mate I know it may sound heartless but this case is pretty clear cut. He simply isn't able to meet the minium entry requirements for a commiosn in the IAF. It is a pretty slippery slope if you start making exceptions here and there.There are restrictions for a reason-just like if he was colour blind or had a pre-exisiting heart condtion he wouldn't be allowed to enter into the IAF to begin with.Granted due to the circumstances surrounding his injury the situation is a little more complicated but that doesn't mean he should be given a job for life. I'm sure he was given adequete compensation from the IAF. And no ejection is planned or ideal-there is always a risk, many have died ejecting even in brand new a/c, there is always a risk and this guy knew what he was getting into when he joined. The armed forces are not a rehabilitation unit, they are a fighting force and if he doesn't make the cut then he doesn't make the cut.

Don't get me wrong I truly feel for this unfortunate guy-his dreams are in tatters, it is completely heart-breaking but the rules are the rules.

Like I said this is only my honest opinion.

But I whole-heartily wish him all the best for the future-he has been dealt harsh cards.

Back
Top Bottom