What's new

Indian Air Force MiG-29s best on the block

How different is this from that of Kub?

KUB is just the designation of the twin seater version of the naval Mig 29, not a development standard. The SMT is the latest standard before the Mig 35 and includes full multi role capabilities, the Zhuk ME radar, increased fuel, IFR capability... and while IAF has upgraded their older Mig 29s to the SMT standard or UPG for upgraded versions, the Mig 29K is technically at the same level, only based on the newer airframe, which makes it able to use the more modern engine versions as well.
The customizations that we did should be the same for IAFs and INs Migs, be it French HMS, IFF and navigation avionics, most likely the Litening G4 soon, Indian / Western EWS...

KUB is just the designation of the twin seater version of the naval Mig 29, not a development standard. The SMT is the latest standard before the Mig 35 and includes full multi role capabilities, the Zhuk ME radar, increased fuel, IFR capability... and while IAF has upgraded their older Mig 29s to the SMT standard or UPG for upgraded versions, the Mig 29K is technically at the same level, only based on the newer airframe, which makes it able to use the more modern engine versions as well.
The customizations that we did should be the same for IAFs and INs Migs, be it French HMS, IFF and navigation avionics, most likely the Litening G4 soon, Indian / Western EWS...

Sorry wanted to ask about 29K..... Capabilities are same to this one....

In addition to all of the above points, operational cost of Mig-29smt is about 40% less than what it is to basic variants so I am hoping our upgraded migs would have similar operation costs too.

Not sure about that, but I try to keep myself updated over our fighters and the possible opponents, that's all.

Oh yeah... and let me tell you, you are way good at that (atleast for a layman like me )

With such heavy upgrading of our Su-30 mki, Mig-29, and even Mirage 2000 fleet and soon LCA and a bit later FGFA will be entering the service so doesn't it makes more and more sense to dump Rafale deal as the time goes by and price expected to increase due to delays.

Sorry wanted to ask about 29K..... Capabilities are same to this one....

Yes capabilities are basically the same, except of the engine.
The electronics and weapons carried by the UPG and K/KUB are broadly the same. The real differences between the UPG and K/KUB come from the airframes. The K/KUBs are larger than the UPGs and are brand spanking new airframes, the UPGs are still same 1980s airframes. The K/KUBs have been designed with improvements of the MIG-29 basic model and all these improvements cannot inherently be mated onto the IAF's MIG-29B such as the increased internal fuel capacity on the K/KUBs, the Quadruplex digital FBW controls on the K/KUB additionally the K/KUB was built using RAM to lower the RCS (along with certain design features) I don't know if these will be part go the UPG for the IAF's MiG-29s.

The K/KUB is the more capable version, on the surface it may look similar to the UPG but housed within are enough differences to give it the clear edge.

The electronics and weapons carried by the UPG and K/KUB are broadly the same. The real differences between the UPG and K/KUB come from the airframes. The K/KUBs are larger than the UPGs and are brand spanking new airframes, the UPGs are still same 1980s airframes. The K/KUBs have been designed with improvements of the MIG-29 basic model and all these improvements cannot inherently be mated onto the IAF's MIG-29B such as the increased internal fuel capacity on the K/KUBs, the Quadruplex digital FBW controls on the K/KUB additionally the K/KUB was built using RAM to lower the RCS (along with certain design features) I don't know if these will be part go the UPG for the IAF's MiG-29s.

The K/KUB is the more capable version, on the surface it may look similar to the UPG but housed within are enough differences to give it the clear edge.

Fuel tank capacity of UPG and K same? I doubt

The electronics and weapons carried by the UPG and K/KUB are broadly the same. The real differences between the UPG and K/KUB come from the airframes.

Exactly, because the older IAF airframes will be upgraded only to SMT standard, while new SMTs or the K/KUBs already come with the M/2M airframe. However, that makes the UPG only look bad, since the refuelling probe, or some EW sensors and jammers are not actually build in the airframe, but attached to it, or that the added fuel tank on the back doesn't make it look very sleek. Capabilitywise however, there is no difference, except of the mentioned engine. Both will be multi role capable, with use the same A2A, anti ship or ground attack weapons, the same fuel tanks and will even have the same numbers of hardpoints. RAM coatings will be applied to both of course, although the earlier mentioned attachedments to the airframe of the UPG will be counterproductive here. The RD 33-3 series engine of the UPG is also not as smokeless as the newer MK version.

You are aware of the significant differences between the different variants of this aircraft?

Engines: MiG-29SMT uses Klimov RD-33 series-3 engines with 8300kgf ( 81.34 KN max weight thrust) whereas MiG-29K/KUB uses the new RD-33MK engines with 9000kgf (88.2KN) max wet thrust with an emergency option to increase thrust to 92.1 KN if required...the RD-33MK uses newer blades and has extensive IR signature reduction features

Fuel:- The 29K carries more fuel than the SMT

Structure :- 29SMT are still based on old 29-B aiframes whereas the 29-K feature newer models with use of new technologies....the 29K has folding wings along with a strengthened landing gear,arrestor hooks as well as inbuilt Refuelling pods which were lacking inherently in the 29Bs and had to integrated into the SMT

Back
Top Bottom