What's new

INDIAN AIR FORCE C-130J DEPARTS FOR PHILIPPINES TO PROVIDE RELEIF TO TYPHOON VICTIMS

The C-130J aircraft left for Mactan, carrying several essential materials.

The Russians are here bringing a huge generator

An Antonov 225 super cargo plane lands in Mactan International Airport in Cebu on Tuesday, November 12, carrying a 140-ton generator to help restore power to Yolanda-hit areas.

Modernize the Philippine Air Force | Facebook

So operational restrictions for bigger aircrafts should be out of the question, I wonder if the C17s are not certified by IAF yet for longer distance missions.

I don't know what may be the real reason for deploying the C-130Js but could be because of:
1. This is not yet an "all-out" air-bridge kind of effort yet. More of a token assistance to start with. More than that will need specific Phillipine Govt. requests and co-ordination.
2. Is the aircraft bound for Manila or Tacloban City? If its the latter; which would be logically so, then we have to keep in mind that its a smaller city on a farther outlying island, whose airport has been ravaged and pretty much destroyed. The undamaged facilities existing there may be minimal, so it will be wiser to start off with a smaller aircraft.

The real reason is payload. We had a C 17 on standby as well. IAF bandobust was exemplary. Ministry of External Affairs needs a kick up their collective pants for this particular exercise.

The aircraft left Palam at 16:48 on Thursday 14 November 2013. Arrived in Port Blair for a rest and refuelling stop. ETD from Port Blair is 00:21 on 15th November; and will arrive at Mactan International Airport in due course.

Mactan is bedlam. Ground logistics are stretched and relief materials from many countries are sitting on the tarmac. We would have been better off landing at Tagbilaran airport and barged relief goods to Northern Cebu, trucked some to earthquake devastated Bohol and yet had some material left over to be barged to western Leyte.

volunteering and relief has no measures ..nothing is big and small and china just sent usd 1 lakh for relief which is meager 60 lakh rupees..hmm.. 
How come India send only one plane? India should send them some Brahmos as well.

Or maybe India should round up some volunteers since India has an excess of unemployed.
how come people like you are even alllowed to enter other countries..??

Trolling and flaming in the event of tragedy and loss is the work of low life and retards.

Bhai, we are preparing another plane. Hopefully we can organize a payload to suit a C 17. But more importantly we hope to have people at the receiving end to ensure equitable distribution of relief. A ship is also being chartered and a lot more relief will be sent. Stay tuned. 
Realistically India should be sending more a/c IMHO purely for a show of force. I assume what is being sent now is very specific and targeted. However India should be showing it is ready to be a regional player. Humanitarian assistance was a major role the IAF have been playing up for their C-17s so why not send a couple over?

The only issues are the planes are still undergoing their acceptance tests in India and so are perhaps not in a position to be sent abroad as far as the IAF is concerned into a typhoon ravaged nation who may not have the infrastructure to support such birds should the worst happen.

No.. it was organizing the payload that was the issue. Please see my other comments below. We had a C -17 standing by in full preparedness after Manmohan Singh announced that India would help. Transport Command also had an IL and a C 130 ready. We just could not get the payload ready and then on the other hand there was no clarity from the recipient as to what is urgently needed.

A shipload of rebuilding material and a posse of Sappers (Engineers) drawn from India's finest is also standing by to be deployed to assist.

It is still a matter of logistics and coordination, not lack of political will.

Last edited:
Realistically India should be sending more a/c IMHO purely for a show of force. I assume what is being sent now is very specific and targeted. However India should be showing it is ready to be a regional player. Humanitarian assistance was a major role the IAF have been playing up for their C-17s so why not send a couple over?

The only issues are the planes are still undergoing their acceptance tests in India and so are perhaps not in a position to be sent abroad as far as the IAF is concerned into a typhoon ravaged nation who may not have the infrastructure to support such birds should the worst happen.
Nope. I think this is grasping the wrong end of the stick. Please see my various comments below.

The real reason is payload. We had a C 17 on standby as well. IAF bandobust was exemplary. Ministry of External Affairs needs a kick up their collective pants for this particular exercise.

The aircraft left Palam at 16:48 on Thursday 14 November 2013. Arrived in Port Blair for a rest and refuelling stop. ETD from Port Blair is 00:21 on 15th November; and will arrive at Mactan International Airport in due course.

Mactan is bedlam. Ground logistics are stretched and relief materials from many countries are sitting on the tarmac. We would have been better off landing at Tagbilaran airport and barged relief goods to Northern Cebu, trucked some to earthquake devastated Bohol and yet had some material left over to be barged to western Leyte.

Thanks for the 'heads-up'!
The Phillipines that I know is heavily dependent on aircraft and sea-transport/Barges/Ferries for movements within the country; the archipelago that it is, like Indonesia.

Having sailed in that part of the world TRS/Typhoon season is a recurring nightmare for the islanders in that part of the world.

Bhai, we are preparing another plane. Hopefully we can organize a payload to suit a C 17. But more importantly we hope to have people at the receiving end to ensure equitable distribution of relief. A ship is also being chartered and a lot more relief will be sent. Stay tuned. 

No.. it was organizing the payload that was the issue. Please see my other comments below. We had a C -17 standing by in full preparedness after Manmohan Singh announced that India would help. Transport Command also had an IL and a C 130 ready. We just could not get the payload ready and then on the other hand there was no clarity from the recipient as to what is urgently needed.

A shipload of rebuilding material and a posse of Sappers (Engineers) drawn from India's finest is also standing by to be deployed to assist.

It is still a matter of logistics and coordination, not lack of political will.

How do you know all this, do you work in the forces or bureaucracy?

Nope. I think this is grasping the wrong end of the stick. Please see my various comments below.

Quite right there. The recepient authorities also need to get their act together and ensure that the through-put of relief material is kept moving. There is nothing worse than having stuff lying around the tarmac or other entry point and not moving, or worse still; being pilfered.

Otherwise, the only alternative (far worse and stupid) is to 'carpet-bomb' the affect areas from the air with relief materials; which in many cases air-dropping degenerates into.

The long and short of it is: a fully functional Logistics chain to the extent possible on the recepient's side. 
@Oscar : Remember the last infraction you gave me, for calling this fellow a fool? Give me one more, because I stand by my comment and am repeating it.

This is the reason for my avatar and signature. I'm fed up of these lowlife trolls, and the fact that saner people can't call a spade a spade. 

I got infracted for calling him faithfuul. You might want to edit your post, unless you get softer treatment.

I stand by what I said. I do not suffer fools kindly; most of all, vicious-minded fools.
So help me God.
QED.

Gentlemen, You have the report button..use it.
And I stand by my conviction that if you engage trolling.. you are no different. Use the report button and leave the rest to us. You not doing so, indulging in flaming is not going to make the case look any better.

Its like someone arguing in traffic while the rest of the cars are honking away getting them to move on.

l2013111450698.jpg

Interesting infos, thanks and welcome to PDF!

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom