What's new

Indian Air Base at Pathankot under attack by gunmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats all this about providing passport numbers? Did they land via some flight or traveled by train to India?

Ha ha ok I get your heartburn! You are right not just running away, your guys were also complicit in those attacks. And yes your guys run away, refuse to fire back

‘No one came to our rescue’

or simply surrender by the hundreds (when not in the 90000s)

Taliban capture over 100 Pakistani soldiers in South Waziristan | The Long War Journal

So instead of taking potshots at indian soldiers, work on your terrorism problem based in Punjab.

And don't forget the attack on SL cricket team.
The way the security forces fought was legendary.

Why Some Allege Pathankot 'Worst-Planned Op In 3 Decades'
manohar-parrikar_650x400_51452015000.jpg

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar addressing press at Pathankot Air Base.

New Delhi: With the operations at the attacked Pathankot Air Force base nearly complete, details are emerging of a Command and Control fiasco that unfolded -as six terrorists were battled, there was a damaging tussle for operational control between the Army, Air Force and the National Security Guard or NSG.

A senior army officer closely involved in monitoring the operations told me, "This is the worst planned operation in more than three decades."

At least two top army leaders who have spoken to me but cannot be named for obvious reasons believe the overall command of the operation should always have wrested with the Army since there has never been a case where command of an active operation has been transferred from the Army to the National Security Guard, an elite police force under the Home Ministry. In this case, the NSG was given the lead role after two columns (60 men) of the Army had already been deployed in Pathankot in anticipation of an impending attack on the airbase. General VP Malik, the former Army Chief says, "Command of an operation is transferred to the Army once they are called for an anti-terrorism operation and, in this case, defence of an airfield operation."

pathankot-attack-pti_650x400_71451912970.jpg

I have also been told by reliable sources that there was a full-fledged disagreement between an Army Brigadier commanding operations till then, and the Inspector General (Operations) of the National Security Guard, who flew in on the orders of the Home Ministry. The situation became more confusing when the Air Officer Commanding, Western Air Command, was asked to fly to Pathankot to take key decisions in the conduct of the ongoing encounter prompting another disagreement, this time between the Air Force and the National Security Guard. The lack of cooperation and coordination between the different agencies was blistering.

Ultimately, the Army Brigadier stood down since he was junior to the NSG's IG (Operations), who has the rank of Major General. The National Security Guard ultimately retained overall control of the remainder of the operation though the Air Officer Commanding, an Air Marshal, remained on the airbase.

Top sources in the Army have also told NDTV that it is not at all their intention to make this an Army versus National Security Guard showdown since the actual fighting was done by soldiers of both forces often using Army assets like BMP-2 armoured personnel carriers and Casspir mine-protected vehicles, which can deflect or withstand bullets, rockets or grenades fired by terrorists. However, they do question the choice of the National Security Guard to be a part of these operations in the first place since more than 50,000 soldiers of the Army were available in Pathankot, which houses massive Army facilities, the equivalent of the strength of two Divisions. According to General Malik, "It was the wrong decision to send the NSG. The operation should have been conducted by the Army forces right next door at the Division who knew the ground [condition] very well. It would have speeded up the process."

pathankot-attack_650x400_61451836116.jpg

What's more, the single Special Forces squad of the Indian Army, trained specifically to fight terrorists, and brought into the airbase from the Pathankot cantonment before the attack began never directly engaged the terrorists in the fire-fight and instead stood guard of the "strategic assets" at the base- fighters, helicopters, surface to air missiles or radar facilities.

A full battalion (approximately 800 soldiers) of the Army's prestigious 1 Para Special Forces battalion are based in Nahan less than 30 minutes' flying time from Pathankot and could have been deployed at short notice if required.

Experts also disagree with Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar who defended the use of the NSG today when he said, "There were civilians here. 3,000 civilians are staying in this campus so NSG is better trained." According to Lt General Shankar Prasad, the Army's former Director General (Infantry), "the Special Action Group (SAG) of the National Security Guard who were deployed in Pathankot are trained for aggressive intervention, hostage rescue and aircraft hijack scenarios. They are not meant to protect any asset, human or otherwise. Their role is to terminate a situation through direct intervention." According to the Lt General, the NSG could have been kept on standby for any eventuality, not given charge of an operation the likes of which are being waged by the Army in Kashmir on a constant basis for years.

As the operation in Pathankot winds down, the facts remain. Hundreds of soldiers may have prevented a bloodbath but how did six terrorists kill seven Indian soldiers and injure 20 after managing to infiltrate an airbase which was apparently fully ready to fight them?
source- Why Some Allege Pathankot 'Worst-Planned Op In 3 Decades'

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Lt General Shankar Prasad, the Army's former Director General (Infantry), "the Special Action Group (SAG) of the National Security Guard who were deployed in Pathankot are trained for aggressive intervention, hostage rescue and aircraft hijack scenarios. They are not meant to protect any asset, human or otherwise. Their role is to terminate a situation through direct intervention." According to the Lt General, the NSG could have been kept on standby for any eventuality, not given charge of an operation the likes of which are being waged by the Army in Kashmir on a constant basis for years.

This what I was trying to tell you guys yeatsrday..

@Levina
@Abingdonboy

After LeT, the Indians are after JeM. First whatever used to happen in India, LeT would be blamed. And now its JeM turn.

Why not? There chances that Let may be lying low for some time (since 26/11)....... JeM was in hibernate mode for some time and least suspected or tracked organisation....."Surprise" is the most important parameter for any attack ain't it???

Epcot shoes ? They are pretty damn expensive shoes, plus they make casual & formal shoes. I wonder why they wearing this brand shoes when going into attack mode or were they going for some party.

Why not???? For them it is more than a party..... They are going for the holy war, and probably gonna spend their last days of their life..... Why not wear expensive shoes ......

there was a damaging tussle for operational control between the Army, Air Force and the National Security Guard or NSG
As always!!!
A full battalion (approximately 800 soldiers) of the Army's prestigious 1 Para Special Forces battalion are based in Nahan less than 30 minutes' flying time from Pathankot and could have been deployed at short notice if required.
Common sense!!!
4 Para (SF) and 9 Para (SF) are stationed in J&K, while another 1 Para (SF) is based in Himachal.
Let's not forget the fact that initially there were only 80 soldiers involved but by the end of the op, they needed 300 (or so I read in the newspapers).
And the final assault was made by army's infantry combat vehicles with 30mm cannons.
Yes it's time for introspection...and SOCOM may be.

But I'm sanguine we will learn from our mistakes, and that Pathankot is a lesson we wont forget so easily.

Last edited:
Indians are pathetic, their staged attacks are so far from reality....so TERRORISTS were given access to Pakistan's base??? wtf seriously...loads of rubbish. IMO don't send cricket team to India, every attempt Indians get, they try to malign Pakistan at international stage...'banaya kabhe nahin sudhray ga..makar , ayar.. sirf jootay ke zaban samajhta hay'. They don't want peace, they fuel, fund and train terrorists that have caused so many civilian deaths in Pakistan and yet 'in ka rande rona band nahin hota'
You just made an a$$ of yourself by your silly harangue. One's terrorist is another's 'strategic asset'. They aren't considered terrorists but mercenaries hired by your Establishment for their proxy war against India which has been going on for the past couple of decades! The whole wide world knows it but you didn't? Is it due to your propaganda machine which works over time or is it just plain denial of facts? Or just plain ignorance?

And yes, according to intellectuals in Pakistan, all terror acts committed on Indian soil by these 'strategic assets' from the parliament attack to Mumbai to Pathankot were false flag operations by RAW. :rofl: (These buggers love to kill Indians, what? :crazy:)

And all attacks on Pak assets including your naval and air bases and the APS etc were the handiwork of RAW. Oh yeah!

So RAW is the bad boy! The Pak Establishment is lily white! :agree:

As always!!!

Common sense!!!
4 Para (SF) and 9 Para (SF) are stationed in J&K, while another 1 Para (SF) is based in Himachal.
Let's not forget the fact that initially there were only 80 soldiers involved but by the end of the op, they needed 300 (or so I read in the newspapers).
And the final assault was made by army's infantry combat vehicles with 30mm cannons.
Yes it's time for introspection...and SOCOM may be.

But I'm sanguine we will learn from our mistakes, and that Pathankot is a lesson we wont forget so easily.

I hope from next time onwards all three forces will learn their lessons, with better co-ordination & control things couldhave been much simpler. Home ministry should not try to interfare with an ongoing op in this manner. Even I think that army Infantry units are better equipped to handle such situation.
"
On my honest opinion, ops should have been left to Garuds, its their responsibility to protect strategic assets. Whats the use of training & equpping them if they are not allowed to do the job after spending millions of $ while training & equiping these soldiers. :hitwall:

Masood Azhar and his brother Abdur Rauf Asgar have been running a religious seminary Markaz-e-Usman-O-Ali on Bahwalpur's Railway Link Road and use the front of Al Rahman Trust to raise funds for their jehadi game-plan against India.

I remember a thread opened by @Imran Khan with pictures of this seminary and lack of control over it by agencies.......

Read the title of the article..... But there is no mention of it in the article........ Did i skip something????

That's what we said after the parliament attack and the Mumbai pogrom. No, we haven't learnt any lessons. Lack of coordination between different agencies has been our bane since the time of Maharana Pratap!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom