What's new

India won first World Cup Kabbadi

yes it is a silly cup.
It had only 9 participant teams.
It is our traditional game.In india's 1 billion pop a lot of people play the game daily.Competing against countries most of whose pop is not even 1/10 th of ours and where even among that small pop the game is played by an extremely small minority, and then thumping your chest for such a victory is silly.
If you have any misunderstanding , then let m,e make it clear,
I haven't called the game silly.
I have called the kabaddi world cup as silly.

Kabaddi World Cup: It's all about being Punjabi

Dulla Pehalwan from the US, Jassa from Italy and Jinder Amli from Canada have all gathered in Punjab for the first edition of the World Cup Kabaddi Punjab 2010 that is turning out to be quite a gathering of Punjabis from all over the world playing the game.

While the Canadian team in the nine-nation tournament boasts of names like Jinder Amli, Lucky Kurali, Bhoora and Aman Kundi, the US side has two Pehalwans - Dulla Pehalwan and Jassi Pehalwan - in its ranks.

The team from Italy includes surnames like Kala, Jassa, Laddi and Billa. In fact, sources in the sports department said two teams from Italy arrived in Ludhiana last week. The organisers had to shortlist players from both sides to create one team.

They are all Punjabi youth settled in other countries and invited by the Punjab government to put up a global kabaddi show celebrating the traditional game of the state - the brainchild of Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.

The 11-day event, which started April 3, is said to cost over Rs.100 million (Rs.10 crore), including nearly Rs.22.5 million (Rs.2.25 crore) in prize money. The cost, to be borne by the state government and its agencies in getting the events organised across several towns and cities of the state, will be much more, officials said.

For the record though Amli means drug addict when translated from Punjabi, Kundi means an illegal power connection, Bhoora means brown and Kurali is a small town, 30 km from Chandigarh. Pehalwan means a wrestler while Kala, Laddi, Jassa and Billa are typical Punjabi nicknames.

Only the teams from Iran, Pakistan and hosts India seem to have genuine players from respective nationalities participating in the kabaddi world cup.

The rest of the teams, obviously having no official recognition from the countries that they represent since kabaddi is not even considered a sport there, are full of players who are basically Punjabi residing in the countries.

"We were asked to organise teams from leading countries. We did whatever we could manage. Otherwise, sports officials in some of the countries don't even know anything about kabaddi," a Punjab sports department official told IANS on condition of anonymity.

Badal, who is also president of the ruling Akali Dal in Punjab, personally monitored the organisation while his brother-in-law and Akali legislator Bikram Singh Majithia is heading the organising committee of the multi-million rupee event.

"We want to promote traditional games like kabaddi and put them on the international scene. This will also help our (Punjab) youth stay away from menace like drug addiction," Badal had said recently.

Officials representing other countries are also basically Punjabis of Indian origin. In fact, in some of the teams all the players are of Punjabi origin.

While the Canadian team has Kulwinder Singh Biharipuria as captain, the team from Spain has Malkit Singh as coach and captain. The Australian squad is being led by Rajiv Kumar, and the US team by Tirath Singh Gakhal. Italy has Kamaljit Singh as captain.

Norway, which withdrew from the tournament at the last minute, also had several Punjabis in the team.

Kabaddi, a contact sport that originated in India, is played in two halves of 20 minutes each. The game is played across length and breadth of India and requires no sophisticated equipment.

yes it is a silly cup.
It is our traditional game.In india's 1 billion pop a lot of people play the game daily.Competing against countries most of whose pop is not even 1/10 th of ours and where even among that small pop the game is played by an extremely small minority, and then thumping your chest for such a victory is silly.

By your logic we should be good in many other sports because many Indians play many other games.There are just the starting steps when events like these are organised it will eventually increase the popularity of the game in those countries which are participating.

@By your logic we should be good in many other sports because many Indians play many other games.
Well , that is exactly my point. We have won this "so called world cup"(especially after riju78's post) and we are soooooooo much over the clouds about it.Even though we play a lot of other games we never make it on international arena in those( except for cricket). So what's there to be so proud of and so haughty in this single victory that u make fun of defeating your little neighbour as indianfalcon is.
Though I am not discounting the skill of our kabaddi players .
And just to remind you my comments were meant for some one who was bgoing a little overboard trying to get back at Pak with
THIS SILLY CUP victory

@By your logic we should be good in many other sports because many Indians play many other games.
Well , that is exactly my point. We have won this "so called world cup"(especially after riju78's post) and we are soooooooo much over the clouds about it.Even though we play a lot of other games we never make it on international arena in those( except for cricket). So what's there to be so proud of and so haughty in this single victory that u make fun of defeating your little neighbour as indianfalcon is.
Though I am not discounting the skill of our kabaddi players .
And just to remind you my comments were meant for some one who was bgoing a little overboard trying to get back at Pak with
THIS SILLY CUP victory

I can see your point but by now you should know how the things work in this forum aka sania,malik thread.

A total game of fitness and reflex ...didn't see the match, know for sure Pakistan player lack of both qualities. Must be some over confident safarshi boys.
Congrats India

Last edited:
Final -

India - 58
Pakistan - 24

:cheers:

:pakistan:
3dflags_ind0001-0003a.gif

Wow!! Pakistan got beaten by such a huge margin. Just wondering, isn't kabaddi as popular in Pakistan as it is in India?

Anyways, Congrats Indian Kabaddi Team!!!

Nice.

FYI Kabaddi is the state sport of Andhra Pradesh, Punjab, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra.

As my driver back home used to say.....
"Sahib, it is world famous in India"......

I mean its a good achievement and all that, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.....Maybe 4 nations in total are even good at this sport only because it has been played here for centuries......Im not sure how Indians would fare if say the likes of some Rugby playing nations decided to venture in this sport.....

So lets minimize the gloating....but must say...an India-Pak bout....be it any sport is worth it.....
I wait for the day that Indian and Pak boxers face off....Now that would be a spectacle......

Lets see......Amir Khan vs Vijender Kumar..(JK: They're in diff weight classes)
.....Anybody know Don King?

Last edited:
and indians naturally have very bad english pronounciation(all indians included) so better pity yourself.

And what are you...."Angrez ki Aulad" Mr.Professor?

Take it easy on the generalizations.....Dont blame us if you've failed to interact with educated Indians.....

Maybe a change in social circle is in order.....

ITSSS A PUNJAABBIIIII KABADDI WORLD CUPPP!!!!!!!!!!

MEANING A WORLD CUP FOR PUNJABISSS ONLY!!!!!!!

This is NOTTT the Indian national Kabaddi team.. soo all the BS talkers heree can stop jumping up and down about having billion people but fighting small pakistan!!! They were ONLY PUNJABI playersss playingg!!!!! Except for Iranians...

Here is the DIFFERENCE:

Indian National Kabaddi:

kabaddi4.jpg

b7937a8ef2eedba8b4abfee.jpg

kabaddi19250.jpg

Indian PUNJABI Kabaddi:

ukkabaddi4.jpg

286331.jpg

beera20sidhwah.jpg

dk9e.jpg

So you can shut your traps about billion people.. it is a team made out of 30 million Indian Punjabis... who faced a team made out of around 90 million Pakistani Punjabiss...! :angry:

Punjabi kabaddi is about brute powerr... nothing like the soft version all other indians playy..

yes it is a silly cup.

Give me a breakkk... it aintt your boys who were playing.. those were all PUNJABI guysss.. it is PUNJABI worlddd cupp.. anywayss your guys would gett murdered in Punjabi style kabaddii anywayss... andd for ure information it was not billion people facing 1/10 size... it was punjab vs punjab.. 30 million Indian punjabis vs 93 million Pakistani punjabis... soo u can now just STFU!!! :angry:

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom