What's new

India will be late by 50 years in achieving education goals: UNESCO

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realise how these numbers are gathered and published (by UNESCO) right?

It is a very large undertaking through numerous UN monitored and end-verified surveys and sampling....across the whole world.

It is not a loose estimate based on little data put out by a govt to give a limited picture or something.

This will be the last time I mention this to you: A large part of Modi's efforts in development revolve around the NEP (New Education Policy)....which is quite an achievement by itself compared to previous plans/projections. If you want to pooh pooh that, come back with some substance first.

I also know how India's literacy rate data was collected.

Let's see 5 years from now, if there is significant change on education front. Like I said before, India never lacks plans, it lucks implementation of plans. I do hope Modi is the superhero as you make him out to be.

I also know how India's literacy rate data was collected.

Do explain....and also prove to me it was carried over verbatim to international reports by UNESCO (or anyone else) comparing country to country in one global definition.

Yes two things need to be considered.
First Enrollment in a class doesn't imply anything (most of the times). Often these figures present a very distorted picture and doesn't indicate if there are students in class, teacher for the class or even a physical classroom. My wife often quotes an example while she was doing B Ed. You are required to teach in classrooms during the course and she used to go to a place near Sadabad (UP) from Agra in a village primary school. To her shock, the primary school building was used for all kinds of activities (including a wedding party accommodation, rallies, you name it...but teaching)
Most of the times students were nowhere to be seen and only thing that attracted the was mid day meal.
As for teachers, they had their own private businesses going and unfortunately most were unpaid for several months (probably forcing them to look elsewhere to make ends meet).
You can imagine what this setup would be doing on actual ground progress other than may be generate some artificial numbers for state government and education department to brag about.
this has to stop through an independent regulatory mechanism. We talk of corruption in various walks of life, but perhaps this is most cruel form where a child's formative and learning years are robbed away making his/her life miserable.

Second, we have to think how to get a person actually benefit from education. Our education system basis is very old and antiquated and perhaps this is where we need to look into. After certain minimum school education, perhaps we need to classify a student and see if Vocational training could be of more use rather than formal education. Services is already becoming a huge part of our economy and if we can get skilled professionals, they can actually make a better difference to not only society but tho their lives as well by earning handsomely based on skills.
This should off course be complimented by higher order institutes for skill enhancement so that a person can grow intellectually as well.
IMHO sectors like Farming, Dairy, Leather and wood working, electronic repair, nursing, animal husbandry, metal working and welding, construction, machinery repair could be a few sectors which need to be covered under such a proposed system.

The purpose of education should be to bring about a qualitative change in a person's life and not merely give him Diplomas. For this system needs to be overhauled radically.

or else life unfortunately would become as this joke tells (in context of countless engineering colleges operating in country)
Son what are you doing after your B Tech?
Regret
:bad:

@thesolar65 @Levina @AUSTERLITZ @Joe Shearer

Very good post! And on your comment "The purpose of education should be to bring about a qualitative change in a person's life and not merely give him Diplomas", can't agree more, very inspirational.

This is what happens when your budget is only 18% of GDP.
One of BD's most urgent issues is to try to raise this to around 25% of GDP as soon as possible.
The extra money should go to education, health and infrastructure.

It's always about money, which is never enough, especially when it comes to public budget! Well unless you print international money, sadly only one nation can do that, and it isn't BD.

I won't suggest increase tax rates too much, BD should encourage private sector investment, encourage economic growth. Let's not raise tax rate, expand tax base. On education and health, obviously yes, these are of paramount and strategic importance (meaning long term, be patient bros), but do note that BD govt is running a deficit budget at the moment (around -4.7% of GDP), so let's prioritize spending items, a bit more deficit is tolerable since existing public debt burden is very modest.

On infrastructure, the government better spins off and let the private sector (SOE, FOE, POE, everyone else not living on tax) takes care of it, itself act as strategic planner, and of course as regulator. Don't forget BD has quite high savings rate (28.4% of GDP), that can support a bigger domestic debt market (measured as Domestic Credit to Private Sector, now only at 44% of GDP, far below world average). And of course, invite FDI as always, get those deep-pocket investors to bring their capital or tech here.

Just my 2 cents, I believe BD govt has a thorough, comprehensive and long term national strategy, if not then quickly hire someone pro enough to get it done. Thanks!

https://www.moodys.com/research/Moo...able-and-strong-growth-performance--PR_347959
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2260rank.html
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/FS.AST.PRVT.GD.ZS

Last edited:
People always complain India does worse than even its immediate neighbours when it comes to helping the poorest of its people.

These numbers are quite telling of the reality regarding completion rate of poorest students:

eRglN0r.jpg

Completion rate of poorest students (average of male and female) for primary:

India = 84%
Bangladesh = 63%
Pakistan = 23%

Completion rate of poorest students (average of male and female) for lower secondary:

India = 70%
Bangladesh = 30%
Pakistan = 12%

Completion rate of poorest students (average of male and female) for upper secondary:

India = 25%
Bangladesh = 7%
Pakistan = 4%

@Bilal9 @Doyalbaba @UKBengali @kobiraaz

People always complain India does worse than even its immediate neighbours when it comes to helping the poorest of its people.

These numbers are quite telling of the reality regarding completion rate of poorest students:

eRglN0r.jpg

Completion rate of poorest students (average of male and female) for primary:

India = 84%
Bangladesh = 63%
Pakistan = 23%

Completion rate of poorest students (average of male and female) for lower secondary:

India = 70%
Bangladesh = 30%
Pakistan = 12%

Completion rate of poorest students (average of male and female) for upper secondary:

India = 25%
Bangladesh = 7%
Pakistan = 4%

@Bilal9 @Doyalbaba @UKBengali @kobiraaz

Congratulations..

For a Basket Case of 1980s, we have come a long way and a long way to go. There is no scope of self adulation really.

What I tried to make you understand is that the same problem is 10x when it comes to India..imagine educating the whole of Europe and Africa together. The issue is India has more languages and cultural differences than both these continents put together.

That doesn't make any sense. Sure, when you have a bigger population, you have more people to educate, BUT you also have more teachers and educators. Why are India's large population and democracy always used to make excuses?

That doesn't make any sense. Sure, when you have a bigger population, you have more people to educate,
Cultural differences, religious differences, language differences, large population are all hindrances. .The good thing is in spite of so many issues..There has been remarkable progress.

In other words, it will be too late to reap the "demographic dividend" India is so proud of. Hundreds of millions of uneducated, unskilled people with few jobs will spell disaster for India.
Doesn't matter. at least indians can vote.

India has 600 million middle class today...and they will insure that their kids be educated enough to get a job.
and that number will be keep increasing...

upload_2016-9-6_21-41-55.png

:enjoy:

Cultural differences, religious differences, language differences, large population are all hindrances. .The good thing is in spite of so many issues..There has been remarkable progress.

So, you are saying that Indian culture and society are hostile to education and social progress?

This is what happens when your budget is only 18% of GDP.
One of BD's most urgent issues is to try to raise this to around 25% of GDP as soon as possible.
The extra money should go to education, health and infrastructure.

That would be the wise choice. But hard to do as BD is constantly being threatened by india. Some money need to divert to defense spending

So, you are saying that Indian culture and society are hostile to education and social progress?

No idea how you inferred that.. I find it a bit difficult to understand Chinese logic, the reason why I don't engage any of them. Probably has to do with commie upbringing I suppose.

Are there many elite members on this forum with 0 postive ratings?

No idea how you inferred that.. I find it a bit difficult to understand Chinese logic, the reason why I don't engage any of them. Probably has to do with commie upbringing I suppose.

You said cultural, language, religious differences are "hinderances" to meet educational goals. How am I to interpret that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom