What's new

India train crash: Death Toll Raised To 309 After Odisha incident

Who cares? The fact remains that European railways before COVID regularly carried similar amount of passengers on an annual basis as Indian railways but had far, far less passenger fatalities. On a per capit basis, no matter how you want to manipulate the numbers, India has by far the inferior safety record.

@CallSignMaverick, look at that devastation.

As I said you're just a low IQ anon troll ashamed of your own national identity, obsessed with us 24/7 since being unemployed in your country rewards with such "desk jobs" :lol:.

And Indian railways carries more people for much longer distance than European railways can ever reach.
Meanwhile...
1685804438644.png

As I said you're just a low IQ anon troll ashamed of your own national identity, obsessed with us 24/7 since beig unemployed in your country rewards with such "desk jobs" :lol:.

And Indian railways carries more people for much longer distance than European railways can ever reach.
Meanwhile...
View attachment 932851

You seem to lack basic reading comprehension, which is a very common affliction in India, probably because India's average IQ is only around 75, on par with most black Africans. So please, stop talking about IQ as if you understand what it is.

Screenshot 2023-06-03 at 11.09.33 AM.jpg

This accident is a failure of Modi's leadership. Will he take responsibility? Will Modi spare himself?

Those found guilty won't be spared: PM Modi on Odisha train accident

Prime Minister Narendra Modi takes stock of the situation at the site of the accident involving Coromandel Express, Bengaluru-Howrah Express and a goods train, in Balasore district. Credit: PTI Photo

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday promised stringent action against any found guilty for the triple train accident which occurred here last night.

Modi spoke to the press after inspecting the site of one of the country’s worst train disasters at Bahanaga in Odisha’s Balasore district and meeting victims at Balasore Hospital.

"Stringent action will be taken against those found guilty in the train accident incident. No one will be spared," Modi said.

Check live updates for the Odisha train accident tragedy here

Prime Minister also promised, "We will give the best possible treatment to those injured in this tragedy".

He also expressed his gratitude to locals for all the help in rescuing people, many of whom worked through the night.

"I am grateful to local people for all help given to train accident victims," Modi said.

Speaking of the accident he said, "I do not have words to express the pain. Let Almighty give us strength to overcome this situation".

He was accompanied by Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw, and Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and was briefed on the situation by both Vaishnaw as well as officers of the disaster management team which worked overnight to rescue people at the disaster site where at least 288 people have died and over 900 injured.

Also Read | Toll in Odisha train tragedy rises to 288, rescue operations complete

The Prime Minister spoke to the Cabinet Secretary and Health Minister from the site.

He asked them to ensure all help needed is provided to the injured and their families, said officials.

Modi also said that special care must be taken to ensure that the bereaved families don’t face inconvenience and that those affected keep getting the assistance they require.

He also interacted with Odisha’s Revenue and Disaster Management Minister Pramila Mallik as well as the local police chief.

The PM also inquired about the progress of restoration work launched at the mishap site.

Before reaching the accident site at Bahanaga Bazar, the PM had chaired a high-level meeting in New Delhi on the train accident.

As I said desperate troll, you posted a long list of accidents of India which included those who were not passengers why crib now?

You're just celebrating the accident thinking its something useful for you to "humiliate India".
An accident is an accident, and Indian railways also is much more busier than EU.

As I said desperate troll, you posted a long list of accidents of India which included those who were not passengers why crib now?

You're just celebrating the accident thinking its something useful for you to "humiliate India".
An accident is an accident, and Indian railways also is much more busier than EU.

No, you're a pathetic low IQ Hind000 bhakt (are there any high IQ Hind00 bhakts?) whose myopia prevents you from seeing that which you take immense pride in is but a stinkin' pile of shiny turd.

Wow, the death toll is now 288!

No, you're a pathetic low IQ Hind000 bhakt (are there any high IQ Hind00 bhakts?) whose myopia prevents you from seeing that which you take immense pride in is but a stinkin' pile of shiny turd.

Wow, the death toll is now 288!
Aa gaya na auqat pe m00slame :lol:

Isliye keh raha hu jake majdoori karle yaha aake zaleel nahi hona padega.

Truly Saddeden by this tragedy such human loss of Lives - Deplorable , extremely Depressing - My prayers and Good wishes with the ones who left the world

No mention that vile radical Hs trying to use this derailment to blame Muslims?

Owner of Sudarshan TV currently trying his best to claim that terrorists caused the derailment.

Other Hs using photos of a nearby temple to claim that a mosque was in close proximity at the site of the crash.

That is much much better than State of Pakistan at least - What makes me happy is seeing a country in South East Asia doing wonders by going to Space and what not - I know its big country with Big Population, Band there is long way to go but at least India is on right Track unlike Milirtaistan -
Having said that I wouldn't Discount Indian Strides as mere photoshop ops and pompous
You are right in stating that there is a great deal that has been done, right from the 50s, and we have come to a position where all of us as South Asians can take pride in our operating massive systems.

Your are also completely justified in pointing out that this was done by civilian organisations, without the benefit of guidance and leadership of the military.

Those are very sane observations that cannot be ignored.

My difficulty is with a completely different set of events.

My difficulty is not with achievements, it is with the manufacturing of seeming achievements, achievements that are unreal or insufficient to warrant public attention, but are presented to the public, to the world at large, as achievements. It is those manufactured events that I draw attention to, not to the features that you have mentioned in a very appropriate manner.

No mention that vile radical Hs trying to use this derailment to blame Muslims?

Owner of Sudarshan TV currently trying his best to claim that terrorists caused the derailment.

Other Hs using photos of a nearby temple to claim that a mosque was in close proximity at the site of the crash.
I take it that your case is that there is a lunatic fringe only among Hindus?

Please calm down.

, it is with the manufacturing of seeming achievements, achievements that are unreal or insufficient to warrant public attention, but are presented to the public, to the world at large, as achievements.
Understandable from Your point of view - but the trajectory that India is going on, clearly any sane person knows that it will lead to improvements only -
You cant discount the fact that Indian Railways transport a Billion Indians Daily - Such Massive Transportation with Indian Babu Bureacrtacy will have its side effects but those are temporary too - They will learn evlove and re invest in the critical infrastructure - in the long term what i see is more improved and robust Railway Infrastructure -
YEs, the tragedy is painful indeed - such Loss of lives at that SCale is deeply saddening -
My thoughts and prayers with anyone affected by this Tragedy
Do you think Getting a national Day of mourning for this tragedy would be helpful in he long term for the ones who are gone and for the Railway Infrastructure ?

Understandable from Your point of view - but the trajectory that India is going on, clearly any sane person knows that it will lead to improvements only -
Agreed, with qualifications.

I believe that improvements will happen. In fact, the improvements required are already widely known, and have been PARTIALLY implemented.

I am sorry, but I have not paid full attention to this thread. There are two questions with regard to rail safety, one of them is the state of the railway tracks themselves, and jointly with that, the ability of rolling stock to accommodate transit at various speeds. The other is the precautionary methods governing use of a particular segment of track.

Regarding speed, it is unsafe to run trains, passenger or freight, beyond 130 km.p.h or so (there are several combinations to be considered, as different sections of track are of different ages, and on the stock side, there are coaches that have been built at different times and to different standards of safety). My personal appreciation of the situation is that we have been distracted into making the Vande Bharat trains a leading feature of our railways. This is a mistake, and the management time and effort to run these would have been far better spent in passenger safety, passenger comforts, including the cleanliness of toilets and their maintenance, and provision of food on board to acceptable budgets and rigidly maintained standards of cleanliness and hygiene.

This accident, however, had nothing to do with running speed and safety at various running speeds. It does have to do with the expenditure prioritisation. Money spent on developing the Vande Bharat coaches and their running way ought to have been spent on railway safety. Here we come to the second feature of running trains safely, that is, the use of particular segments of track.

We cannot have two trains using the same segment of track. To guard against this, the original method was manual signalling. Trains were sent through manually, by manipulation of the signals, to either cross through a nodal point (eg a station) or to rest on a loop line while higher-priority traffic (passenger trains vs. freight, express trains vs. passenger trains) passes through.

Obviously this was severely affected by human error. The Railways then came up with Block signalling. This defined the segments between two stations to be defined as Blocks, roughly 10 to 15 kms each. Trains were not allowed into a block if already occupied by another train. This was an early method, and necessarily blocked 10 to 15 kms of track at a time.

The update to that was two-fold, Automatic Signalling, and Electronic Interlocking.

In Automatic Signalling, instead of restricting control to signals near stations, signals have been installed at much closer (~ 1 km) intervals, and the segments of track to be frozen have been shrunk to 1 km segments, in place of the earlier 10 to 15 kms.

In Electronic Interlocking, all signalling points are networked, and the status of tracks monitored electronically. The problem is that major parts of the network are third-party ownership parts, and much of these networks are copper-wire dependent, not as fast and not as reliable as fibre. So one of the many initiatives taken up was the conversion of the entire network to fibre optic. THIS IS WORK IN PROGRESS, FAR FROM COMPLETE YET.

Finally, the very robust method of ensuring safety known as Kavach.

Back
Top Bottom