What's new

India to test fire sub-sonic cruise missile Nirbhay next year

How did you come to this conclution mate??Did the USN tested the ESSM against something like the Bazalt or Yakhont??Can you show us some test data??If yes then bring it on otherwise,all your claims will be called pure BS.

ESSM was created for something like Yakhont. If Yakhont does not exist, there would have not need for ESSM. Its for a supersonic missile attacking at low altitude. Yakhont is not exactly low altitude, so it shouldn't be a problem.

ESSM was created for something like Yakhont. If Yakhont does not exist, there would have not need for ESSM. Its for a supersonic missile attacking at low altitude. Yakhont is not exactly low altitude, so it shouldn't be a problem.
My question was not what was the ESSM created for.I just asked that did the USN test the ESSM something similar to Yakhont which itself is outdated and obsolete when compared to Brahmos Blk2 with terminal altitude of just 8 meter above sea level.If the ESSM was tested against something like Yakhont(let alone Brahmos as only India has it) then show us the results,success rate et al or atleast a source claiming it was tested,otherwise how can you expect others to believe.It's as simple as that.
By the way,the current PESA radar of the AEGIS combat system will have a very tough time to track an incoming Brahmos due to its very small frontal rcs (as
per official source) coupled with such a low terminal altitude of just 8 meter above sea level.I think that's sea skimming is enough to call the Brahmos a sea skimming AShCM.

Well,I don't think any subsonic cruise missile like the Nirbhay will be of much help against an oponent like PRC with thick blanket of SAMs like HQ 9/S 300 PMU1s and HQ 16s.

Think again. How do I or you know that they indeed have blankets of SAM ready? Just because they mass produce everything doesn't mean they essentially have that impossible and impenetrable layer of SAMs. Besides, 90% of their batteries are in their east coast facing Japan, Korea and Pacific side against US... similar to how our southern side is the least armed.

The main advantage of Nirbhay is that it comes very cheap compared to BrahMos. Add economies of scale to it (3,000+ easily, since we have been acquiring more than 2,000 BrahMos itself) and you have a thundercloud of cruise missiles. One thing you must remember; any weapon system in our scenario is developed not for 1 theater alone; it is for everything. Cruise missiles are the only types of missiles that can be used in a first level escalation without resulting in a nuclear fall out. So expect Nirbhays to be used en masse.

Instead,for PRC conventionally armed Shaurya hypersonic cruise missiles should be procured in larger numbers(like 600-800 under IA missile groups) to break through the SAM blanket.The Nirbhay on the other hand will fair much better on the western front.Just a thought.

Shaurya's purpose is not the same as Nirbhay. Shaurya is a tactical ballistic missile that doubles as a quasi-cruise missile as well. It is a second strike capable missile that is not exactly meant for taking out columns of enemies or artillery or tank columns. Its objective is seek out high valued military assets and pulverize them such as advanced forward command and control centers, regional command HQ, forward communication links and even hoards of infantry enemy troops.

By the way,as per recent reports,IA has placed over 2 billion $ worth of order for Brahmos blk2/3.Man........they are satisfied indeed!!How many are they planning to induct??!!

Around 3,000 supersonic versions as mentioned in some analysis about a year back. Hypersonic version, no updates. See the point of Nirbhays would be to be used exhaustively while BrahMos would be kept for much more critical targets. A Nirbhay as per what estimates are made is going to cost less than a fourth of a BrahMos (excluding economies of scale, which will make it even cheaper to operate and use).

I think the US should one of this missile to study it.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Even though the ESSM is more than capable of handling brahmos though.

In the modern world keeping your tech safe is very difficult (if you are not US and force your costumers sign many pacts) yes Israel can give atleast 1 missile to US but why US want it is it incapable of making such a missile?? The last time I heard you guyz were going for a Hypersonic one.

And for the bolded part can you prove that?? heck If yes then we are damn idiots as we buying alot of Brhmos.:blah:

Once we are done with the A5,and nirbhay (hopefully by 2nd quarter of 2012).... will that be the last of land to land missiles developed by DRDO for now???(not considering joint ventures) or is the so called Surya missile series more than a myth???

Once we are done with the A5,and nirbhay (hopefully by 2nd quarter of 2012).... will that be the last of land to land missiles developed by DRDO for now???(not considering joint ventures) or is the so called Surya missile series more than a myth???

No dude, Agni-5 and Nirbhay are not the last surface to surface missile. DRDO has another project going on named Agni-6 with 6000 km range. Which will be a new generation SLBM as well as land based ICBM. :)

Well,I don't think any subsonic cruise missile like the Nirbhay will be of much help against an oponent like PRC with thick blanket of SAMs like HQ 9/S 300 PMU1s and HQ 16s.Instead,for PRC conventionally armed Shaurya hypersonic cruise missiles should be procured in larger numbers(like 600-800 under IA missile groups) to break through the SAM blanket.The Nirbhay on the other hand will fair much better on the western front.Just a thought.
By the way,as per recent reports,IA has placed over 2 billion $ worth of order for Brahmos blk2/3.Man........they are satisfied indeed!!How many are they planning to induct??!!

I agree with you bro. PRC has a far better air defence system than Pakistan. Instead of Nirbhay we need more Brahmos-1/2 and Shaurya type missiles for PRC than Pakistan. Nirbhay and Brahmos-1 are enough for western border.

I agree with you bro. PRC has a far better air defence system than Pakistan. Instead of Nirbhay we need more Brahmos-1/2 and Shaurya type missiles for PRC than Pakistan. Nirbhay and Brahmos-1 are enough for western border.

But Nirbhay Like missiles are the Cheapest solution after High End Air-Defenses are destroyed By SEAD Missions

Think again. How do I or you know that they indeed have blankets of SAM ready? Just because they mass produce everything doesn't mean they essentially have that impossible and impenetrable layer of SAMs. Besides, 90% of their batteries are in their east coast facing Japan, Korea and Pacific side against US... similar to how our southern side is the least armed.

The main advantage of Nirbhay is that it comes very cheap compared to BrahMos. Add economies of scale to it (3,000+ easily, since we have been acquiring more than 2,000 BrahMos itself) and you have a thundercloud of cruise missiles. One thing you must remember; any weapon system in our scenario is developed not for 1 theater alone; it is for everything. Cruise missiles are the only types of missiles that can be used in a first level escalation without resulting in a nuclear fall out. So expect Nirbhays to be used en masse.

Shaurya's purpose is not the same as Nirbhay. Shaurya is a tactical ballistic missile that doubles as a quasi-cruise missile as well. It is a second strike capable missile that is not exactly meant for taking out columns of enemies or artillery or tank columns. Its objective is seek out high valued military assets and pulverize them such as advanced forward command and control centers, regional command HQ, forward communication links and even hoards of infantry enemy troops.

Around 3,000 supersonic versions as mentioned in some analysis about a year back. Hypersonic version, no updates. See the point of Nirbhays would be to be used exhaustively while BrahMos would be kept for much more critical targets. A Nirbhay as per what estimates are made is going to cost less than a fourth of a BrahMos (excluding economies of scale, which will make it even cheaper to operate and use).
You do have some valid points.But looking at the pace of PLA,I fear by the time the Nirbhay gets inducted in 2015 or so,they would place large numbers of HQ 9/16 batteries in Tibetan Autonomous Region.I'm not saying that Nirbhay will not work against PRC because the terrain will provide great advantage to the Nirbhay to avoid the chinese radars.But still the Brahmos and Shaurya type missiles will be far more effective.
And Shaurya is not a Tactical Ballistic Missile like Agni I, as it doesn't follow a ballistic trajectory at the 1st place.The maximum altitude of Agni I is over 200 km where as Shaurya doesn't rise beyound 40 km.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Exactly my thought buddy. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I am more anxious to know what design the nirbhay will be based on.
The two possible design are:

NIRBHAY.jpg

Guess_Livefist.jpg

I hope we never use them but when we have too..the enemies will never able use anything else.

But Nirbhay Like missiles are the Cheapest solution after High End Air-Defenses are destroyed By SEAD Missions

Yeah bro that is one advantage Nirbhay has, it will be cheap. but initially it will be Shaurya + Brahmos + Prahaar.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Exactly my thought buddy. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Yes buddy.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

I hope we never use them but when we have too..the enemies will never able use anything else.

I also hope so. :)

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

I am more anxious to know what design the nirbhay will be based on.
The two possible design are:

NIRBHAY.jpg

Guess_Livefist.jpg

None o them are Nirbhay. First one is probably a Tomahak and the second on is a new cruise missile under development by DRDO called LRCM.

Yeah bro that is one advantage Nirbhay has, it will be cheap. but initially it will be Shaurya + Brahmos + Prahaar.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Yes buddy.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

I also hope so. :)

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

None o them are Nirbhay. First one is probably a Tomahak and the second on is a new cruise missile under development by DRDO called LRCM.

As far as I remeber the 2nd one is said to be a 600 km range nuclear capable medium range cruise missile with speed of Mach3 .2,but is that project still going on??

As far as I remeber the 2nd one is said to be a 600 km range nuclear capable medium range cruise missile with speed of Mach3 .2,but is that project still going on??

According to Shiv Aroor it is going on smoothly. First test around 2013.

According to Shiv Aroor it is going on smoothly. First test around 2013.

Thousands of Brahmos' orders worth billions will be waste in that case coz if it has double the range with same speed thn that will be definately preferable..

Back
Top Bottom