ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

India to Shelve Costly Jaguar Upgrade Plan - Opt for More Su-30MKI Jets

August-19th-2019

article_5d5b1ccfe20a40_40464550.jpg

Indian Air Force Jaguar Attack Jet

The Indian Air Force reportedly intends to shelve plans for costly engine upgrades for its ageing fleet of Jaguar attack jets, and is instead considering further acquisitions of the Su-30MKI twin seat heavyweight fighters to replace them. Jaguar jets currently rely on Rolls Royce Adour 811 engines of which were acquired in the 1980s, but these have since seen a considerable reduction in their performances which prevents the aircraft from operating optimally or carrying a full combat load. The Air Force reportedly considered acquiring Honeywell F125IN engines from the United States for integration onto the Jaguar to restore its capabilities, but given the age of the aircraft themselves and the price of the engines the cost effectiveness of such a purchase remains questionable. India is currently the only operator of the Jaguar, with all aircraft deployed by European and Middle Eastern states long since retired. The effectiveness of the aircraft even in upgraded form against the defences of neighbouring Pakistan and China, which both deploy a number of advanced anti aircraft systems from HQ-16 air defence systems to PL-12 air to air missiles, has also been brought to serious question.

article_5d5b1a57ca31c7_56801470.jpg

Indian Air Force Su-30MKI, Jaguar Attack Jet and Tejas Light Fighter

A source quoted by Indian media regarding the new deal stated regarding the cost of the upgrade: “The price quoted by Honeywell and the HAL for ‘re-engining’ is just too high. For the price of two such upgrades, we can get one basic Rafale.” It is considered likely that some and possibly all of India’s six Jaguar squadrons will be retired and replaced with the Su-30MKI, a fighter which is also highly capable in a ground attack role and benefits from a twin seat configuration and a far heavier and more modern airframe. The platform's powerful sensors, high speed and altitude and long range make it a potentially ideal strike fighter, and it is compatible with a number of high end munitions from indigenous BrahMos cruise missiles to Israeli SPICE guided bombs and a wide range of advanced Russian guided munitions. The fighters are produced in India under license, currently forming the mainstay of the Indian fleet with over 250 in service, and those which may replace Jaguar squadrons are likely to be equipped primarily for ground attack. Even when configured in such a way, the Su-30MKI will still be far more survivable if engaged by enemy aircraft and can deploy formidable defensive armaments such as the indigenous Astra and Russian R-27 air to air missiles without significantly compromising its air to ground payload.

There goes 6 more squadrons down the drain, IAF planners have seriously gone nuts, with putting all the eggs in one basket. Considering recent Su-30's performance against vipers, I will not be surprised if PAF gains air superiority against IAF in near future conflict if it happens.

For indians you need to ask what is IAF's top command thinking?

The effectiveness of the aircraft even in upgraded form against the defences of neighbouring Pakistan and China, which both deploy a number of advanced anti aircraft systems from HQ-16 air defence systems to PL-12 air to air missiles, has also been brought to serious question.

Interesting, they didn't mention AMRAAM.

this Indiot does not know PAF operates much older fleet! Infact PAF F-16 air frames are as old as IAF Mig-21 Bison fleet.
While many of the F-16 frames in the PAF are over 35 years old, the Mirage recently celebrated 50 years of operational service in PAF.
But then what do you expect from a character who thinks that AMRAAM is part of an F-16. :lol:

iAf is in right direction to upgrade those birds. Bhai agr koi apny Paoon pe kulhari marna chay to osy aur teeez kr k do[emoji16]

There goes 6 more squadrons down the drain, IAF planners have seriously gone nuts, with putting all the eggs in one basket. Considering recent Su-30's performance against vipers, I will not be surprised if PAF gains air superiority against IAF in near future conflict if it happens.

For indians you need to ask what is IAF's top command thinking?
They're gearing up to acquire american platforms, I think. which will be a huge capability booster for Indians.

They're gearing up to acquire american platforms, I think. which will be a huge capability booster for Indians.

I don't think so, indians are clever enough to know the restrictions and strings of buying us weapons, they might buy f/a-18, but that depends future indian carrier programs and its US collaboration. For the time being rafale is india's darling........

Nope, we're well aware of the strings attached to American weapons systems. I'm sure we wouldn't go for anything significant like that of the MMRCA purchase. My best bet would be to opt for 2 more squadrons of Rafales and if IN also decides to procure the Rafale M's for IAC-3 (54 required), we might go for local production and significant ToT along with helping our Kaveri project

Other than that, I don't see any fighter jet procurement in the near future in significant numbers. Also, HAL's Su-30 line and 400 associated suppliers would go outta business if the production stops. So, there is a high possibility we might go for 40 additional MKIs to fill in the dwindling numbers

In alot of Indian air crashes the pilot ends up charred, burned or injured. Why is that??
Dies every pilot who ejects go through same??

I've seen videos of American pilots ejecting safely and walking away unharmed. What's up with IAF pilots??

In alot of Indian air crashes the pilot ends up charred, burned or injured. Why is that??
Dies every pilot who ejects go through same??

I've seen videos of American pilots ejecting safely and walking away unharmed. What's up with IAF pilots??
In most crashes, the pilots ejected safely if you consider the percentage of ejected pilots vs those who died in the crash. If the pilot was not able to eject in time due to efforts of saving the jet or some other malfunction, the jet would be engulfed in a fireball due to onboard fire or blowing up after the crash

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom