What's new

India to Launch A High Resolution Surveillance Spy Satellite

cerberus

Reaction score
Country
Germany
India’s soon to be launched Cartosat-2 series satellite is capable of monitoring foreign troops, allowing the country’s military to detect incursions and other activities.India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C34) will soon be tasked with carrying a record-breaking 22 satellites.

These will include the Cartosat-2 series surveillance satellite, which is accurate enough to give India the ability to track individual people. The 727.5 kg multi-purpose satellite for Earth observation has a ground sample distance resolution of 0.65 meters, the highest-ever resolution among panchromatic and multi-spectral cameras used for observing objects on the ground. Dr. M.N Vahiya, a scientist at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, is of the opinion that in all probability, the satellite will be used for military purposes. “It will almost certainly be used for defense purposes. Given its resolution of 0.65 meters, it would be capable of monitoring minute details, like the movement of persons, if images are taken at quick intervals.

The government will not officially declare that it would be used for defense, but logic says it will be used for defense. Half a meter resolution is not needed for city planning. It is used for monitoring what is happening inside households. They are definitely trying to track human beings, as a satellite with such a high resolution has no real civilian purpose.” India’s space & national security expert, Group Captain Ajey Lele (Retired) also says: “This is a multipurpose satellite, which has strategic utility as well as social utility.” According to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), “Cartosat 2 will provide regular remote sensing services using its panchromatic and multispectral cameras.

The imagery sent by the satellite will have useful cartographic applications, allow for the creation of land use maps, precision study, and change detection to bring out geographical and man-made features as well as various other Land Information System (LIS) and Geographical Information System (GIS) applications. ” The latest in the Cartosat-2 series of earth observation satellites, this one will be injected into a 505 km synchronous polar orbit, and will provide much clear pictures from larger pieces of land with faster view repetition. The camera can also record videos of targets and send them back as compressed files. It is expected to be very useful in monitoring the activity in areas bordering China & Pakistan.

http://www.defencenews.in/news

Imran.

I think its a serious statement of intent AND capability on india,s part.

Space technology india is two decades ahead in this region
yeah sir
i wish they move ahead 20 light years ahead my best wishes . i was just sarcastic as usual. if they have capabilities it will sure been benefit the region also one of the day . .

hexagon-spy-satelllite-description.jpg

1970s Era KH-9 Hexagon electro-optical/mapping satellite operated by the United States National Reconnaissance Office.

HEXAGON_Film_being_despooled.png

Mapping images taken by these satellites have been declassified and turned over to the National Geospatial Intelligence Agencies... except for images of Israel.

Moscow_KH-9_1979.jpg

Images from the non-mapping cameras remain classified.

KH-11 is the modern iteration of the KH series EO satellites used by the NRO. KH-11 resembles the Hubble Space Telescope, as the HST was actually derived from the KH-11 series satellites:

HST_Lockheed_Integration.jpg

Even the older KH-11s, let alone the most modern version, have a higher resolution then the Hubble Space Telescope and two were gifted to NASA a few years ago. Their design is still classified so no pics of the two satellites have been released.

ARGUS-IS 1.8 gigapixel imaging system part of Gorgon Stare:

Gorgon-Stare-II.jpg

And a few other offings like CorvusEye 1500 :
Exelis-CorvusEye.jpg

Like the KH-11, these are multi-spectrum imaging elements and also like KH-11, aren't in service with India or likely to be in service with a nation outside the US in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Having spy satellites is not a problem. India haS its own satellites, even Russia's one's if a need arise to spy on third countries. But do we have a dedicated control mission station to moniter and share the intelligence in a safe and secure conditions? I dont think so.
We have capabilities, but lack the means to utilise it. I dont care. But RAW and IB need a joint Defence Control Station with armed forces to work on intelligence sharing and capabilities.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom