What's new

India to hire 10,000 teachers from Taiwan to learn Chinese language

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
India to hire 10,000 teachers from Taiwan to learn Chinese language

India plans to recruit up to 10,000 teachers from Taiwan to meet growing demand for Chinese language classes, Taiwan's education ministry said Tuesday.

Kapil Sibal, India's minister of human resources, made the proposal during a meeting with Taiwan's education minister Wu Ching-ji in India last week, an education official said.

Sibal said there was a strong demand for Chinese teachers as about 10,000 Indian high schools currently offer Chinese classes, or plan to do so, the official added.

Taipei will set up a taskforce to train India-bound teachers and hold more talks with New Delhi by the end of this year on the teaching programme, she said.

India's Education Ministry could not be immediately reached for comment.

Like most countries, India officially recognises Beijing over Taipei but maintains trade ties with the island.

Chinese language classes are becoming increasingly popular as China's political and economic clout grows.

Chinese is also the official language in Taiwan.

Taiwan has previously supplied Chinese language teachers to France, the United Sates and Vietnam, according to the education ministry.

India to hire 10,000 teachers from Taiwan - LANKA BUSINESS ONLINE

Taiwan speaks Standard Mandarin as well, so it should be fine.

Hong Kong is the big loser in terms of Chinese dialects. The PRC, Taiwan, Singapore, etc. speak Mandarin.

But Hong Kong speaks Cantonese. :P

Good move, although I wonder if the curriculum/teachers will have hidden anti-PRC propaganda, since they are coming from Taiwan.

Good move, although I wonder if the curriculum/teachers will have hidden anti-Chinese propaganda, since they are coming from Taiwan.

i doubt that, although I know that my oldie mandarin prof at the univ is anti-communists since he fought in the war. but thats his personal choice. teachers are individuals after all and may present their opinions just like us

on a lighter note: given our media, do you think silly indians need any more anti-china propaganda.

Taiwan speaks Standard Mandarin as well, so it should be fine.

Hong Kong is the big loser in terms of Chinese dialects. The PRC, Taiwan, Singapore, etc. speak Mandarin.

But Hong Kong speaks Cantonese. :P

Can a Cantonese speaker understand Mandarin?

why not to hire directly from china ?
atleast that will enhance cultural exchange !!

I think China should also hire many Indian teachers into China to teach. It will be a good cultural exchange and paves way for better understanding and future cooperation as India is going to be one of the biggest economy in the future and an enormous population.

Can a Cantonese speaker understand Mandarin?

No, unfortunately not. Mandarin developed in North China, Cantonese developed in South China.

The writing system is exactly the same though, and you can make some good "guesses", if you have some knowledge of the differences.

E.g. Rice noodle rolls would be called "Chang fen" in Mandarin, and "Cheong fun" in Cantonese.

perhaps security reasons. both countries might be hesitant

Unfortunately yes, it is partly political. However, I don't see India and China being enemies of any kind despite our border issues. We have been competitors more than enemies over recent years. Our relationship was in fact very good too before the arrival of the westerners who came and screw up all the borders before leaving. Leaving us to deal with the mess.

perhaps security reasons. both countries might be hesitant

india is such a country which never disappoint it's visiter.....such a wide unity in diversity that can absorb anyone , who ever comes fall in love...

as far as security reasons , they are more because of ignorence and unknown , let them come here to check the actual ground reality , that will help to ease those concerns too..

Cantonese and Mandarin both originates from the north but at different times. Cantonese is more close to the speaking of the time of Confucius' though. Anyway today any educated people from Hong Kong understand mandarin.

Actually I'm curious about what would indian learn about characters from these taiwan teachers? Large chances that you guys would still be illiterate after learning the 'traditional characters'.

india is such a country which never disappoint it's visiter.....such a wide unity in diversity that can absorb anyone , who ever comes fall in love...

as far as security reasons , they are more because of ignorence and unknown , let them come here to check the actual ground reality , that will help to ease those concerns too..

political entities behave very differently than ordinary populace. chinese are equally, if not more warm hearted, loving people (speaking from personal experience :D).
CPC and GOI are different animals

Back
Top Bottom