What's new

India to get enhanced Heron UAVs

sudhir007

Reaction score
India to get enhanced Heron UAVs

An additional 15 Heron unmanned air vehicles that Israel Aerospace Industries will supply to India are to be an upgraded version with improved payloads.

In late 2013, India’s Cabinet Committee on Security – headed by prime minister Manmohan Singh – approved a $250 million deal to purchase the additional UAVs and associated equipment from Israel, and to upgrade the nation's existing fleet for improved communications. The buy will increase the total number of Herons operated by India to 35.

Meanwhile, IAI late last year performed a series of test flights involving a Heron powered by a heavy fuel engine. If additional tests are successful, the company plans to offer the combination as an option to customers.

India's air force and navy both operate the long-endurance Heron, while the former also uses IAI's smaller Searcher 2 and its Harpy loitering weapon system.

I hope US gives us the technology of american predator drone

i think india should build its own Drones instead of this

for gods sake india is building cryo engines !!! how many countries can do that ? investing in drone tech is 10 times more easy than sending probe to mars !

just needs some effort and time .....

for gods sake india is building cryo engines !!! how many countries can do that ? investing in drone tech is 10 times more easy than sending probe to mars !

This is just a stop gap measure. India is working on its indigenous drones.

We do build drones and operating along with IAI-built UAVs.

Our technology is not as good as theirs. So there is a mix of Indian as well as IAI built UAVs in service.

Some time back the news had come out the IAF and IN were upgrading their Heron fleets with SATCOM and improved sensor payloads. For obvious reasons, though, the Indian Mil keeps such news low-key.

we'll test our UCAV(Armed version of Rustam-II) this year..our MALE UAV platform will be Rustam-II,which will fly within months(most probably in February)...

'First Flight of UAV Rustom-2 scheduled in February 2014' - Economic Times

We already have 3 to 4 types of indigenous drones......
The first flight of our predator type drone is this year.....
We are also building a stealth version........

We already have 3 to 4 types of indigenous drones......
The first flight of our predator type drone is this year.....
We are also building a stealth version........

GOOD LUCK :tup:

Check out the AURA, a stealth UCAV and the Rustom-II being developed by the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) to be handed over soon to the IAF.

I like how Iran names its weapons.....
Like a drone named "Mrityudoot"......

bro we have no such drone :p

our main MALE UCAV drones are "shahed 129" , "fotros" and the "sofreh mahi" we have tenz of other small drones with different objectives .

Check out the AURA, a stealth UCAV and the Rustom-II being developed by the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) to be handed over soon to the IAF.

thanks for the info mate :tup:

strange , ADA website says nothing about them. not even acknowledges any part of it-why ? -- Aeronautical Development Agency

UPDATE: never mind , it is called ADE ( E= establishment) not ADA

Last edited:

Mate, the difference between ISRO and other government agencies are like night and day. The success of ISRO and India's missile program was born out of necessity. Since no country was willing to share technology with us the scientist had to work hard for it and the political babus had to support them financially. But in case of Drones there was never such restriction we got drones from Israel, in which case the at home development was never given much care, same with LCA. We never had the industrial base to develop aircrafts. But now there is a base and the government is investing money in development. So we might see some improvement. I am really wishing to see Rustom take flight, I am not so much interested in AURA project rather want DRDO (ADE) to first develop a long endurance non-stealth drone.

Back
Top Bottom