What's new

India to buy six more C-17 airlifters from US

The Bofor's is a 40mm not 80mm. And I am unaware of any structural fatigue due to the Bofor's. I am aware of some fatigue problems with the wings due to age. The specters are 20-30 years old with no new ones due to be built. To remedy the problem they are reinforcing the center wing box structure.

Currently they are testing a C-130 H that has been modified with a high energy laser. The idea is to see how effective it would be if added in future AC-130's. The laser would cut down on collateral damage.

advanced_tactical_laser.jpg

For the bolded part, what exactly is its effectiveness in combat?, and does that mean they are planning to remove the 40 mm Gun?

For the bolded part, what exactly is its effectiveness in combat?, and does that mean they are planning to remove the 40 mm Gun?

I doubt they will get rid of the Bofor's. The last time they tried to replace it with a bushmaster. They ended up putting it back in becuase of accuracy issues with the bushmaster. If they replaced a weapon I would put my bet on the Gatling gun.

As far as the laser goes, it is just one more cog in the ongoing emphasis the military is putting into future war fighting abilities. As it should since it offers speed of light engagement, reduction in collateral damage, and no running out of ammo. (at least with solid state lasers)

To Diversify is a good thing but there has to be some cost justification as well...We are doing good economically yet we should all keep in mind that about 300 million people do sleep empty stomach...Every penny needs to be spend wisely and if there is something out in the market which can do the job then we should buy those then having a capability which we might need as per our doctrine....

U raised a good point but we cant compromise with security of our country, but again if want these people not to sleep with empty stomach the main work should be done in population control , corruption and eudcation, thinking of normal man toward duties to nation state city and and local area coz many people don't care what going outside door of there home. we should care for country like we care for our home ,, for every issue .
people in this forum really care about security of there country both India and Pakistan but in real i found very less people who really care about there duties for the country.
I am just talking on what i have seen
I should stick more to topic but i feel happy if i found myself wrong.

Hey!! i have a doubt..!! How does the IAF make sure they give us good and new aircraft not used ones!! I mean any aircraft for that matter which is being imported how do they make sure it is new?????? How do they make sure it is just come out of manufacturing and reached us immediately after testing???

Hey!! i have a doubt..!! How does the IAF make sure they give us good and new aircraft not used ones!! I mean any aircraft for that matter which is being imported how do they make sure it is new?????? How do they make sure it is just come out of manufacturing and reached us immediately after testing???

Opened a dead(1 year old) thread to ask this :hitwall:

The ignorance of this Q is just staggering. Firstly the IAF will have a delegation on site at the long beach plant where the C-17 is made so something this big just couldn't happen. Secondly the C-17 no doubt will have certain India-centric avionics like the C-130 and IN P-8i not to mention the tail numbers, serial numbers are all unique to IAF planes so traceable. Thirdly why would Boeing want do something as stupid as this? The USAF has recieved all their outstsnding orders and the production line was due for closing soon anyway so what would they do with the new C-17 they have swapped with IAF's? I don't think anyone, especially Boeing- one of the most trusted aviation manufactures in the world, would risk the PR nightmare this could cause if uncovered- it would put a dampener on their entire order book and they rely on their image to sell. Not to mention the BILLIONS in revenue they would most certainly lose just from India almost overnight (P-8i, AI-787, Chinook, Apache etc). I don't think there has ever BEEN A SINGLE CASE OF THIS IN THE PAST.

And on top of this do you not think the IAF who is one of the most modern and capable airforces in the world could tell the difference between a new a/c and an old one??!!

ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE REACHING FOR KEYBOARD.

Back
Top Bottom