What's new

India to Buy Radar to Detect Pakistani Mortar Fire

Indian Army To Induct Swati Gun Locating Radars
The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) of the ministry of defence has cleared the acquisition of 30 weapon locating radars – Swati – from Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) at a total cost of Rs 1,605 crores ($256 million).

90554342-weapon-locating-radar-an-tqp-37-at-the-57th-gettyimages.jpg

Till the Kargil War India did not have any Gun Locating Radar. It only had the British Cymbline Mortar locating Radar. About 20 American ANTPQ 37, Fire finder radars were bought off the shelf to meet the immediate requirements during the Kargil War. The purpose of such radars is to find the position (location) from which the hostile flat trajectory, high angle trajectory guns & mortars and rockets are being fired on own troops. This facilitates the direction of the fire of own artillery guns & rockets to silence and destroy such enemy guns and rockets

Indian Swathi Mobile Phased Array Weapon Locating Radar (WLR) to locate the enemy artillery. Swathi Weapon Locating Radar has been jointly developed by DRDO’s Electronics and Radar Development Establishment (LRDE) and Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL). Their first version was called Rajendra. Swati Radar is their latest improved version. The WLR is similar to the AN/TPQ-37 radar in design and performance but is reportedly more user friendly.

A scale model of the WLR. The array is at its maximum slew setting of 125°.

The radar antenna is slewable up to +/-135° within 30 seconds, which gives the WLR the ability to quickly change its scanning sector, and provides it 360° scan capability. The Coherent TWT based transmitter of the WLR emits 40 kW of power. The range for the Swati radar while tracking gun shells is more than 20 kms and for rockets, about 30 kms.

Information is displayed on ruggedised power PCs on a high resolution multi-mode colour display. The data is displayed in real-time and can be overlaid on a 3D digital map. The WLR can store a 100 km x 100 km size digital map for display at any time. Other modes include Plan position indicator (PPI) display, RHI displays, etc.[2] Up to 99 weapon locations can be stored and tracked at any time and can be transmitted to the command centre

It is believed that the DRDO scientists while testing the trajectory of the missiles at Chandipur observed that their tracking radars could pick up artillery guns booming at a nearby army firing range. This led to the development of Rajendra model & its improved version Swati.

These radars will be used by the Surveillance and Target Acquisition Branch of Indian Artillery. Swati, the radar has been developed as a coherent, electronically scanned C-Band pulse doppler radar.

The radar will automatically locates hostile artillery, mortars and rocket launchers and direct friendly fire to locate the impact point of friendly artillery fire to issue necessary corrections.

Performance
  • Range:
    • >81 mm Mortars: 2–20 km
    • >105 mm Guns: 2–30 km
    • Unguided Rockets: 4–40 km
  • Elevation Coverage: -5 to 75°
  • Azimuth Coverage: +/- 45° mean settable bearing
  • Slewability: +/- 135° within 30 seconds.
  • Targets Tracking: 7 simultaneously (maximum)
  • Firing angles: Both High & Low
  • Aspect Angles: 0-180°
Technical Specifications
  • Instrumented Range: 50 km
  • Frequency Band: C band
  • Probability of:
    • Detection: 0.9
    • False Alarm: 10−6
  • Weapon Locations: 99 stored (maximum)
  • Digital Map Storage: 100 x 100 km

Great development but what took them so long anyway its better be late than to be never now we shall give a befitting TIT for TAT :)
You have tried and lost several soldiers.

You have tried and lost several soldiers.
well getting killed in line of duty to protect your motherland is an honor and an oprational hazard for any soldier yours or mine irrespective :coffee:

point is we know what you want but the point is what you are offering in return is of no use to us and what you want in return is not on the table and the fact weather you like it or not you have no power or resources to make us accept your demands on your terms hence we will keep amassing all those things which we think make us more secure and you are free to do that :tup:

Debate from YOU...???? :omghaha: Kid, first go and try to make a simple motor by your own. :closed:

leave him, he is better visiting funny around the world, and the ultimate fighter jet JF-17.

Actually IA desperately feels its need during Kargil war, which was been asked by IA for long. For mortar, I think the need is the light weight, flexible, and quick deployment in all conditions of the battle field is required.

Indian Army To Induct Swati Gun Locating Radars
The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) of the ministry of defence has cleared the acquisition of 30 weapon locating radars – Swati – from Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) at a total cost of Rs 1,605 crores ($256 million).

90554342-weapon-locating-radar-an-tqp-37-at-the-57th-gettyimages.jpg

Till the Kargil War India did not have any Gun Locating Radar. It only had the British Cymbline Mortar locating Radar. About 20 American ANTPQ 37, Fire finder radars were bought off the shelf to meet the immediate requirements during the Kargil War. The purpose of such radars is to find the position (location) from which the hostile flat trajectory, high angle trajectory guns & mortars and rockets are being fired on own troops. This facilitates the direction of the fire of own artillery guns & rockets to silence and destroy such enemy guns and rockets

Indian Swathi Mobile Phased Array Weapon Locating Radar (WLR) to locate the enemy artillery. Swathi Weapon Locating Radar has been jointly developed by DRDO’s Electronics and Radar Development Establishment (LRDE) and Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL). Their first version was called Rajendra. Swati Radar is their latest improved version. The WLR is similar to the AN/TPQ-37 radar in design and performance but is reportedly more user friendly.

A scale model of the WLR. The array is at its maximum slew setting of 125°.

The radar antenna is slewable up to +/-135° within 30 seconds, which gives the WLR the ability to quickly change its scanning sector, and provides it 360° scan capability. The Coherent TWT based transmitter of the WLR emits 40 kW of power. The range for the Swati radar while tracking gun shells is more than 20 kms and for rockets, about 30 kms.

Information is displayed on ruggedised power PCs on a high resolution multi-mode colour display. The data is displayed in real-time and can be overlaid on a 3D digital map. The WLR can store a 100 km x 100 km size digital map for display at any time. Other modes include Plan position indicator (PPI) display, RHI displays, etc.[2] Up to 99 weapon locations can be stored and tracked at any time and can be transmitted to the command centre

It is believed that the DRDO scientists while testing the trajectory of the missiles at Chandipur observed that their tracking radars could pick up artillery guns booming at a nearby army firing range. This led to the development of Rajendra model & its improved version Swati.

These radars will be used by the Surveillance and Target Acquisition Branch of Indian Artillery. Swati, the radar has been developed as a coherent, electronically scanned C-Band pulse doppler radar.

The radar will automatically locates hostile artillery, mortars and rocket launchers and direct friendly fire to locate the impact point of friendly artillery fire to issue necessary corrections.

Performance
  • Range:
    • >81 mm Mortars: 2–20 km
    • >105 mm Guns: 2–30 km
    • Unguided Rockets: 4–40 km
  • Elevation Coverage: -5 to 75°
  • Azimuth Coverage: +/- 45° mean settable bearing
  • Slewability: +/- 135° within 30 seconds.
  • Targets Tracking: 7 simultaneously (maximum)
  • Firing angles: Both High & Low
  • Aspect Angles: 0-180°
Technical Specifications
  • Instrumented Range: 50 km
  • Frequency Band: C band
  • Probability of:
    • Detection: 0.9
    • False Alarm: 10−6
  • Weapon Locations: 99 stored (maximum)
  • Digital Map Storage: 100 x 100 km

That is for the artillegy gun position, but for the mortar, we need light weight mortar locating radar.
Till DRDO/DARE develop such system, better induct some systems from US.

Type - 373 and ANTPQ 36/37 radars are use by Pakistan .
Why India wake late .

Yes, same for you please don't rant.
if anyone ranting here...is only you.......with statement like this
DRDO making every thing but their products never inducted by armed forces. Why?
When proof are provided of making and induction it's become ranting ......don't know kind of confused thinking you have

If BEL producing weapon detectors at home why they are looking for new one from outside,
Same reason why homegrown JF17 inducted still PAF looking for F-16 or J10

More

since make in India always preferable.
And it is .........read the news

leave him, he is better visiting funny around the world, and the ultimate fighter jet JF-17.

Actually IA desperately feels its need during Kargil war, which was been asked by IA for long. For mortar, I think the need is the light weight, flexible, and quick deployment in all conditions of the battle field is required..

I highly doubt whether those weapon locating radars would have made any difference during Kargil,owing to the nature of the terrain prevalent in that theatre.

Hypocrite - Check

Biased - Check

Pulls facts out of thin air - Check

Trolling - Check

U are a perfect Think Tank Material for the forum :coffee:

& you are still a member of this forum .... which mean you think yourself much low then those TTs ....

I hope you will agree with me with your actions ..... & will keep enjoying Liberties & Respect as member of this forum ...

Regards,

& you are still a member of this forum .... which mean you think yourself much low then those TTs ....

I hope you will agree with me with your actions ..... & will keep enjoying Liberties & Respect as member of this forum ...

Regards,
Hope u do understand the meaning of sarcasm.( in case of me calling him a TT material )

Heres some food for your thoughts about the person u are trying to defend.

The Curious Case of Usual Suspect and Pathankot Attack.

P.S - if my actions are offensive. Feel free to take the appropriate counter action.

Regards.

Hope u do understand the meaning of sarcasm.( in case of me calling him a TT material )

hope you also can differentiate between 'sarcasm' & 'cheap shots' .....
Heres some food for your thoughts about the person u are trying to defend.

The Curious Case of Usual Suspect and Pathankot Attack.

P.S - if my actions are offensive. Feel free to take the appropriate counter action.

Regards.

So you think I am here to defend a person .... ??

or for some other person ..... ??

What should I call you ..... now ???

Hypocrite -

OR

Biased -

plz check as you wish ... I will be obliged

now some food for your thoughts ....

More than 2 years on this Forum and i am yet to see a sensible post from this " Professional " :disagree:

FML !!!

Indian media ek number ki chutiya hai except few or aise chutiya channels dekhne wale unse bade chuttus hain :lol::lol::lol:

Hope now you will get what I mean when I said
& will keep enjoying Liberties & Respect as member of this forum ...
in my last post .....

if u can't debate or post in RESPECTFUL manner then plz don't count others in your category .... lay off this attitude ....

hope you also can differentiate between 'sarcasm' & 'cheap shots' .....

So you think I am here to defend a person .... ??

or for some other person ..... ??

What should I call you ..... now ???

plz check as you wish ... I will be obliged

now some food for your thoughts ....

Hope now you will get what I mean when I said

in my last post .....

if u can't debate or post in RESPECTFUL manner then plz don't count others in your category .... lay off this attitude ....

As I said if my posts are offensive.

Plz take the appropriate actions.

I have cleared my position and contexts both. I have voiced my opinion and I'll stick to it.

And regarding the cheap shots plz check the following thread right from the page 1. If those comments from TTs and higher authorities aren't considered cheap then i am happy to be placed lower than them

Indian Air Base at Pathankot under attack by gunmen.

Regards.

Last edited:
The WLR is similar to the AN/TPQ-37 radar in design and performance[13] but is reportedly more user friendly.[14] It is a passive electronically scanned array radar, derived from theRajendra Radar (which is the fire control radar for the Akash missile system).[1] During tests of the Akash missile at Chandipur, engineers noticed the Rajendra radar was able to detect and track artillery shells being test fired at a nearby range.[5][15] Based on this observation, LRDE scientists were able to adapt the Rajendra Array into the WLR.

USA had supplied this a long time back (in aftermath of the kargil war. I suppose the gradual thawring of relation with India and cooling of relations with Pakistan started that time. )
RAJYA SABHA

Twelve Weapon Locating Radars (WLR) were contracted with the US Government in 2002. Delivery of these WLRs will commence from September,2004. In addition,two WLRs were also contracted on lease basis and these two WLRs have already arrived in the country. Steps have also been taken to produce WLRs indigenously. A Letter of Intent for procurement of 28 WLRs and development of one prototype WLR by April, 2004 was placed on MIs. Bharat Electronics Ltd in January 2003.

This information was given by the Defence Minister Shri George Fernandes in a written reply to Shri Surendra Lath in Rajya Sabha today.
PIB Press Releases

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom