India: Third of newly elected MPs has a criminal background

Al Bhatti

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
May 18, 2014

186 or 34 per cent of new MPs have criminal cases filed against them,

A third of the newly elected members of the Lok Sabha has a criminal background, an analysis of the disclosures they have made in their affidavits has shown.

An analysis of 541 of the 543 winning candidates by the National Election Watch (NEW) and Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) shows that 186 or 34 per cent of the newly elected MPs have in their election affidavits disclosed the criminal cases that have been filed against them.

In 2009, 30 per cent of the Lok Sabha members had criminal cases.

According to the analysis, a candidate with criminal cases had a 13 per cent chance of winning in the 2014 Lok Sabha election, whereas it was just five per cent for an aspirant with a clean record.

Of the 186 new members, 112 (21 per cent) have declared serious criminal cases, including those related to murder, attempt to murder, causing communal disharmony, kidnapping, crimes against women etc.

Party wise, 98 or 35 per cent of the 281 winners from the BJP have declared criminal cases against them.

Eight (18 per cent) of the 44 winners from the Congress, six (16 per cent) of the 37 winners from the AIADMK, 15 (83 per cent) of the 18 winners from the Shiv Sena, and seven (21 per cent) of the 34 winners fielded by Trinamool Congress also have disclosed criminal cases against themselves.

India: Third of newly elected MPs has a criminal background | GulfNews.com

---------------------

This is just the tip of the ice berg, imagine the number of cases which are not filed due to fear or other reasons.

Thats pretty shocking!!.. Hope the Modi administration with such a massive mandate would hand pick MP's that have a clean background

May 18, 2014

A third of the newly elected members of the Lok Sabha has a criminal background, an analysis of the disclosures they have made in their affidavits has shown.

An analysis of 541 of the 543 winning candidates by the National Election Watch (NEW) and Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) shows that 186 or 34 per cent of the newly elected MPs have in their election affidavits disclosed the criminal cases that have been filed against them.

According to the analysis, a candidate with criminal cases had a 13 per cent chance of winning in the 2014 Lok Sabha election, whereas it was just five per cent for an aspirant with a clean record.

Of the 186 new members, 112 (21 per cent) have declared serious criminal cases, including those related to murder, attempt to murder, causing communal disharmony, kidnapping, crimes against women etc.

Party wise, 98 or 35 per cent of the 281 winners from the BJP have declared criminal cases against them.

Eight (18 per cent) of the 44 winners from the Congress, six (16 per cent) of the 37 winners from the AIADMK, 15 (83 per cent) of the 18 winners from the Shiv Sena, and seven (21 per cent) of the 34 winners fielded by Trinamool Congress also have disclosed criminal cases against themselves.

---------------------

This is just the tip of the ice berg, imagine the number of cases which are not filed due to fear or other reasons.
At one time i too had many serious cases against me . 12 if i remember correctly . Been found innocent by courts in almost all except one. its the nature of politics in India .

If you are into politics there will be cases registered against you , you will cross paths with anti social elements , Not that i am defending these people , but am explaining that if you get into politics in India, you will find your self on the wrong side of the law.

At one time i too had many serious cases against me . 12 if i remember correctly . Been found innocent by courts in almost all except one. its the nature of politics in India .

If you are into politics there will be cases registered against you , you will cross paths with anti social elements , Not that i am defending these people , but am explaining that if you get into politics in India, you will find your self on the wrong side of the law.
You must be an MLA atleast ;-)
How frequently did you have to visit the courts? Did you also face police danda?

May 18, 2014

---------------------

Ok So what you want?
India is not some western nation or US.Politics in India offer you at least one criminal case.Even if you are innocent.

You must be an MLA atleast ;-)
How frequently did you have to visit the courts? Did you also face police danda?
No not an mla but a major party worker. yes faced third degree torture a lot of time from the cops.(they were very serious cases) from 99 to 2007 i must have visited the courts at least 200 times.

No not an mla but a major party worker. yes faced third degree torture a lot of time from the cops.(they were very serious cases) from 99 to 2007 i must have visited the courts at least 200 times.
so. hw is third degree...do they beat up on ice slabs.. and throw salt on wounds. doesn't ur party tried to protect u on those cases..

Thats pretty shocking!!.. Hope the Modi administration with such a massive mandate would hand pick MP's that have a clean background

Not as shocking as you think. In politics false cases are dime-a-dozen and if you belong to different party than the one that is in your province you would have at least some criminal case of varying degree registered against you.

+

The job of politician specially the one in opposition involves constantly organising protests and strikes means that criminal case is pretty much an occupational hazard.

Sorry that you had to face that. This is one place where India must change. Nobody must face torture just because the police is impotent and are not held accountable.

so. hw is third degree...do they beat up on ice slabs.. and throw salt on wounds. doesn't ur party tried to protect u on those cases..
Sorry that you had to face that. This is one place where India must change. Nobody must face torture just because the police is impotent and are not held accountable.
Look i dont blame the cops, i was a very violent person then . i got what was due. yes they used ice slabs and electric shock along with cane beatings,
and no the party in 99 did not help me as i was only a lowly party worker then, now a days even the cops wish me (and our party is now in the opposition)

Back
Top Bottom