What's new

India successfully conducts first night trial of nuclear-capable Agni-I ballistic missile

Who have clarified ??

afaik , there was no official report released about the test .
I read an article where it was clearly written that it was an K4 missile.Not sure if they quoted any official.

AoA might reveal information about the range envelop of the missile, if other parameters such as burnout time/altitude are known.

I don't know exactly, but in case of ballistic missiles with advanced ReVs, it should be more towards the launch point.

That means the descend will be longer making a low AoA w.r.t ground , right .
The altitude of the air-burst could explain the operational configuration of the warhead, i.e. how efficient would be the explosion.

What should the normal altitude of air burst , say for a 200KN TN warhead aimed at maximum destruction ??

I read an article where it was clearly written that it was an K4 missile.Not sure if they quoted any official.

None of those reports were quoting any official instead their own conclusion were reported .

That means the descend will be longer making a low AoA w.r.t ground , right .
Yes, exactly.
What should the normal altitude of air burst , say for a 200KN TN warhead aimed at maximum destruction ??
An air blast wave having 20 psi overpressure is enough to destroy most of the concrete structures, and cause almost 100% fatalities in its way (but causing negligible fallout). A 200kT warhead aimed for that sort of destruction should be detonated at around 1000 metres altitude (1060m to be precise).
If the altitude is lesser than that, the blast wave will have higher pressure but lesser effective radius. And if it is greater than that, the pressure will be reduced while effective radius would increase.

You should try this calculator:
NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein

An air blast wave having 20 psi overpressure is enough to destroy most of the concrete structures, and cause almost 100% fatalities in its way (but causing negligible fallout). A 200kT warhead aimed for that sort of destruction should be detonated at around 1000 metres altitude (1060m to be precise).
If the altitude is lesser than that, the blast wave will have higher pressure but lesser effective radius. And if it is greater than that, the pressure will be reduced while effective radius would increase.

You should try this calculator:
NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein

My car wheels have higher pressure than that. Where can I read more about it?

My car wheels have higher pressure than that. Where can I read more about it?
Blast overpressure is a bit different from high air pressure. In fact an overpressure of 5psi demolished houses in the Little Boy and Fat Man detonations. 20 psi is for very heavily built concrete structures, stronger than re-inforced concrete structures.

More information here:
Overpressure | Effects of Nuclear Weapons | atomicarchive.com
The trouble with airbursts | Restricted Data

Last edited:
@chak de INDIA why you posted those pics here?? I think that everbody knew that DRDO was devloping two variants of Astra missile.

Good news !!

DRDO should conduct night tests for Agni-II and III also.

Back
Top Bottom