What's new

India stolen Bangladesh intellectual rights over traditional Jamdani Sari

Status
Not open for further replies.
B'desh Jamdani ownership hijack attempt draws flak
Experts liken Indian claim to patent rule violation

Speakers at a dialogue in the city Tuesday urged the government to take immediate steps for ensuring the country's ownership and patent rights of traditional items like Jamdani.

They emphasised formation of Geographical Indication (GI) rules according to the law and setting up a separate unit to help protect the ownership of traditional items from other countries.

"We are still lagging behind other countries, including India, to claim our ownership of any traditional item. The government should take necessary initiatives shortly to protect our cultural and historically important items," said Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD) Distinguished Fellow Dr Debapriya Bhattacharya.

He also said like some other traditional items Jamdani is solely a Bangladeshi item and it is not a generic one.

CPD and National Craft Council of Bangladesh (NCCB) jointly organised the dialogue on "Protecting Geographic Indication Products in the Context of Bangladesh and Way Forward".

Barrister Sarwat Siraj Shukla said there is no visible sign to formulate necessary regulations to enact the GI Law 2013, though it is much needed to claim patent rights of any traditional item.

"India had already applied for the ownership of Jamdani although it is a Bangladeshi item. We are ready to fight it legally, if needed, to protect our items."

She said ensuring ownership of traditional items is very needed in the era of globalisation.

Dr Iftekhar Iqbal, associate professor of Dhaka University, mentioned in his presentation that considering all historical, geographical, commercial and cultural contexts of Jamdani, Dhaka was and still is its only true centre of production.

"Jamdani has to be a unique name, whose geographical location indicator must be Dhaka, but not Dhakai Jamdani. In other words, Dhaka and Jamdai are synonymous. So, India's registration of Jamdani under its GI law is illegal and a violation of existing TRIPS (Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights) regulation."

He mentioned that India registered Jamdani as 'Uppada Jamdani Sarees' from Andhra Pradesh in 2009. However, research suggests that there is no combination of geographical, ecological, historical or commercial conditions elsewhere in the world for Jamdani, except Dhaka.

GI is a name or sign used on certain products to certify that they possess certain qualities, as they are made according to traditional methods or enjoy a certain reputation due to their geographical origins.

According to the GI law, the real producer of any particular goods in an area will get the absolute rights of the registered products.

If jamdani sari is registered locally under the law, no other country will export any clothing item with the name jamdani to Bangladesh.

The law will also ensure the patent rights of various area-specific products, such as - kachagolla of Natore, roshmalai of Comilla, chomchom of Porabari in Tangail, monda of Muktagachha in Mymensingh, tea from Sylhet, and honey from the Sundarbans.

Dhaka University professor Dr Masuda M Rashid Chowdhury, rights activist Hamida Hossain, NCCB president Monira Emdad and secretary Shahid Hossain Shamim, and designer Bibi Rasel also spoke at the dialogue.

B'desh Jamdani ownership hijack attempt draws flak | TRADE & MARKET | Financial Express :: Financial Newspaper of Bangladesh

Why indians worry about what Bangladeshis think if india own the country???? Utterly senseless indian logic off course.

Why dont you blame it on poor RAW huh? first you said land then water than now sari what an illogic peaheaded prosperous Bangladeshi

By reading your post I think, you do not really get out of your urban house. There are at least twenty young housewives in my own family in the village. Most are the wives of my cousins and second cousins. Every one wears salwar-kameez and almost no one wears Saree.

Same is true with lungis. Very few of the young school-going boys wear them unless needed. Note that dress culture has been changing with the economic development and higher level earning. School girls as usual wear salwar-kameez.

I concur. Saree and Lungi are gone in distance. Only few Muslims wear them now a days. Good riddance.

I think Saree still popular among married Hindu women though.

I thing Lungi was antidote to Dhoti. I may be wrong but what your take on this?

However Bharti stealing our intellectual rights is another story.

Thub has taken over kabuli/paijama, men usually combine the shorter thobes with lungi, or that's what I've seen.

I have seen Madrasa students wear Kabuli style shalwaar Qameez but not common among mass Bangladeshi for sure.
I think people stop wearing them after 71 for some weird reason. I personally prefer Kabuli style.

seriously , now we have to discuss about sari on defence.pk :lol:

Why indians worry about what Bangladeshis think if india own the country???? Utterly senseless indian logic off course.
we have to take the opinions of our subjects into consideration, dont we :chilli:

India now targeting to steal IP over Royal Bengal Tiger and Hlisa fish.
After stealing Jamdai, Nakshi katha and Fazli (mango verity) india is embarking to steal IP rights over Bangladesh national fish Hilsa and nation animal Royal Bengal Tiger. Investigation found india had stolen IP right of 66 Bangladeshi products and animals.

regular_7407_news_1403380384.jpg

eNayadiganta

UNESCO adds new entries to ‘intangible heritage’ list

Other additions are Belgian horseback shrimp fishing; the annual pilgrimage to the mausoleum of Sidi Abd el-Qader Ben Mohammed in Algeria; Taureg Imzad music; Jamdani weaving in Bangladesh; the Cirio de Nazare religious festival in Brazil; Sankirtana music from the Vaishnava people in India; a central Italian Catholic procession; an Orthodox holiday in Ethiopia and a Kyrgyz epic poem.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/lif...new-entries-to-intangible-heritage-list-.html

@WebMaster ... waste of bandwidth.. discussion about a saree ??? close the useless thread...

H
@WebMaster ... waste of bandwidth.. discussion about a saree ??? close the useless thread...
Ha ha ha.why the cry?
Shame isn't it?
Now everyone is reading about indian hijacking of BD patent for Saree,fruits, etc etc.
How much low will india stoop to?

H

Ha ha ha.why the cry?
Shame isn't it?
Now everyone is reading about indian hijacking of BD patent for Saree,fruits, etc etc.
How much low will india stoop to?
i think it was you guys , who are crying. .. about patents ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom