What's new

India, Sri Lanka hold talks on nuclear deal

Gibbs

Reaction score
Country
Australia
India, Sri Lanka hold talks on nuclear deal

India and Sri Lanka have held negotiations on a comprehensive civil nuclear cooperation agreement. The second round of talks began on Monday and concluded on Tuesday.

The Indian delegation is led by Amandeep Singh Gill, Joint Secretary (Disarmament) in the Ministry of External Affairs, and included representatives from the Department of Atomic Energy.

The Sri Lankan side is led by Dhara Wijayatilake, Secretary, Ministry of Technology and Research, government of Sri Lanka and included representatives from the Atomic Energy Authority and the Sri Lankan Ministry of External Affairs.

Discussions were held in a warm, friendly and cordial manner on the draft text of a comprehensive agreement on bilateral civil nuclear cooperation, the Indian High Commission said in a statement.

It was agreed that the next meeting would be held in India in the second half of 2014 to take forward the issues under discussion. (PTI)

Sri Lanka doesn't use any nuclear power plant till now,does it??

They have thorium reserves. There was talk of setting up a thorium based reactor for SL by India in 2008-09. SL wants to have a nuclear plant supplying energy by 2030.

Is India using this technology atm ? I mean Thorium reactors ?

Yes. There are multiple reasons for this. India has the largest proven reserves of thorium.

Of the Indian reactors KAMINI is an operational thorium (U-233) based research reactor. BARC is expected to have one soon.

Thorium reactors are not expected to commercially supply electricity before 2025.

Interesting.........Cant this agreement be signed by Pakistan and Srilanka too?

We have a few in development, one is expected to go critical later this year. Commercial production of electricity will take a few more years. This is one field where India is at the cutting edge of research.

India is building 62 reactors(projected) within 2025,most of it is Thorium Based.also,our Fast Breeder Reactor is Thorium based.we also have AHW reactor.but'it'll take considerable time to exploit this tech fully.

AHWR.....

World’s First Thorium Reactor Designed | IThEo_Org

though it is unlikely India will handover its Thorium based reactor design right now or install a reactor in SL.but surely SL can get an Uranium based reactor.

Interesting.........Cant this agreement be signed by Pakistan and Srilanka too?

Cant see a reason for why not ? Suppose if it is about thorium research i guess the authorities must have felt the need for Indian expertise in the field..

Cant see a reason for why not ? Suppose if it is about thorium research i guess the authorities must have felt the need for Indian expertise in the field..
we can help in plutonium we r masters in it and possibly best in South Asia.

Back
Top Bottom