What's new

India should share BPO expertise with Pakistan : Mr.Narayan Murthy

Stumper

Reaction score
Just came across this article on Rediff. Mr.Narayan Murthy talks about Indian companies sharing BPO expertise with Pakistani counterparts. He also talks about Indian Educational Institute collaborating with Pak's schools and collages.

India can help make Pak BPOs stronger: Murthy: Rediff.com Business
Indian companies can help Pakistan strengthen its IT-BPO industry by sharing expertise and best practices with their Pakistani counterparts, Infosys Chief Mentor NR Narayana Murthy said.

Speaking at an Indo-Pak business meet, Murthy said Pakistan, like India , has a talented pool of workers who speak English and can be hired at competitive cost.

"There is an ever increasing demand for IT-BPO services particularly as Western nations produce fewer IT graduates.

All that needs to be done is to develop Pakistan as a destination of choice for international clients," Murthy said.

He added that revenue from the IT-BPO sector for Pakistan stood at $300 million in 2004. "This is where India can help. In the spirit of cooperation Indian companies could share their expertise with Pakistani counterparts," he said.

Asked if Infosys would set up centres in Pakistan, Murthy said, "At an appropriate time when the environment is conducive we may look at it."

Murthy said, "Indian technical institutes could collaborate an form alliances with Pakistani schools and colleges for designing the curriculum. This would help produce a talent pool for meeting the demand of the international IT market," he added.

yar stumper don't mind but Indians play double games.Your talk of trade lasts for as long as you profit from it.

The other day there was a thread that India has banned cotton imports or something like that i didn't read the article full.But it had done something which would harm Pakistani exports to India.

If I am not wrong, this isn't entirely new. I rememeber coming across news reports a few years back that a few Indian companies (small ones) have trained people as well as collaborated with local companies in Pakistan.

yar stumper don't mind but Indians play double games.Your talk of trade lasts for as long as you profit from it.

The other day there was a thread that India has banned cotton imports or something like that i didn't read the article full.But it had done something which would harm Pakistani exports to India.

Bhai mere bina profit k to koi bhi kuch nahi karta na.

I am into the same outsourcing industry and entrepreneur. If pakistan was politically and socially stable even i would have loved to outsourced to Pakistan and trained people there to work for my company. Par bhaia agar mujhe Pakistan jaane main fayda nahi dikhega to main kyun jaaonga. Seedhi simple language main kahain to.....

There are many advantages with Pakistan in this regard. pehla to money factor kam rahega and then most important kisi doosri jagah outsource karne par jitna bheja maarna padta hai Pakistan main nahi maarna padega because of cultural and language similarities.

Just came across this article on Rediff. Mr.Narayan Murthy talks about Indian companies sharing BPO expertise with Pakistani counterparts. He also talks about Indian Educational Institute collaborating with Pak's schools and collages.

India can help make Pak BPOs stronger: Murthy: Rediff.com Business

Same old wine in a new bottle.

Back in 2002/2003 time frame there was a similar drive. There was a drive by GoP to bring IT to Pakistan and in that due course there was an offer from GoI to help them in making the journey faster and smoother.

There were delegates from Pakistan who visited different companies in India and took some key points after the discussion with the VPs and CEOs. I was working for Wipro then and I was in charge of giving the tour of our lab. That was the first time ever that I saw a Pakistani live before my eyes :) and talked to them.

But, things have changed a lot over last 7/8 years. The IT is already in Pakistan now and thriving. Even one of our associate is in Lahore. There are many companies and proving themselves equally well if not better. I seriously don't see where India can help Pakistan in this area.

Of course we will do what we as a nation will benefit from, as will any corporate entity. This is business my friend, not charity. To me this makes perfect sense, cause the demographics and financials of call center operations are such that to be competitive Indian companies are having to move to Tier II cities already, and soon when that too is saturated in terms of the economic threshold, Pakistan would be the next obvious choice. Its happened before. Ireland. SE Asia. The only drawback to this would be the english speaking population in Pakistan. It would be a really small minority unlike India, and the few that are there would either likely not be in the country anymore or if they were, would probably be over-qualified.

.....Your talk of trade lasts for as long as you profit from it.

.....But it had done something which would harm Pakistani exports to India.

Regarding the first, its coming NOT from a government babu. Rather India's finest entrepreneur sharing his thought.

As for your second thought, we banned cotton export (Rains and multitude of other reasons have been provided) .. but Pakistan was not one of the intended target for that move .. or am i missing your point?

Same old wine in a new bottle.

Back in 2002/2003 time frame there was a similar drive. There was a drive by GoP to bring IT to Pakistan and in that due course there was an offer from GoI to help them in making the journey faster and smoother.
This is a thought from Mr.Murthy in individual capacity. Nothing to do with any government drive!

But, things have changed a lot over last 7/8 years. The IT is already in Pakistan now and thriving. Even one of our associate is in Lahore. There are many companies and proving themselves equally well if not better. I seriously don't see where India can help Pakistan in this area.

You misread. He is primarily talking about BPO industry. Pakistan has a capable IT work force. Some of the best educational institution... no doubt about that.

My friend, this isn't intended to be an act of charity at all. Of course, the Indian companies would be looking to make profits. Any techie here will tell you that they operate on thin margins and are known for squeezing every bit from their employees as well as clients. Increased mutual trust and people to people contacts are just by-products and a way to increase their PR .

Of course we will do what we as a nation will benefit from, as will any corporate entity. This is business my friend, not charity. To me this makes perfect sense, cause the demographics and financials of call center operations are such that to be competitive Indian companies are having to move to Tier II cities already, and soon when that too is saturated in terms of the economic threshold, Pakistan would be the next obvious choice. Its happened before. Ireland. SE Asia. The only drawback to this would be the english speaking population in Pakistan. It would be a really small minority unlike India, and the few that are there would either likely not be in the country anymore or if they were, would probably be over-qualified.

Harish : Mate, first, consider that this is a comment from a private entrepreneur, not GoI.

Regarding english speaking population, wont you think we had a almost same issue some time back (a workforce who can speak Indian-ized but not foreign accent english) ... our guys were trained. Isnt it?

This is a thought from Mr.Murthy in individual capacity. Nothing to do with any government drive!

Yeah true, I understood that GoI has nothing in this and this is solely Mr Murthy's personal view point

You misread. He is primarily talking about BPO industry. Pakistan has a capable IT work force. Some of the best educational institution... no doubt about that.

True again, but I was commenting against this part below

He added that revenue from the IT-BPO sector for Pakistan stood at $300 million in 2004. "This is where India can help. In the spirit of cooperation Indian companies could share their expertise with Pakistani counterparts," he said.

My point was, If he was talking about helping Pakistan in bootstraping the BPO industry, then I feel there is hardly anything that we may help. Its a known thing and well tested method now. Why someone would seek India's help in bootstraping the same. again my personal viewpoint.

Murthy’s Dream: IIT Karachi, IIT Lahore

Infosys Technologies Chairman N.R. Narayana Murthy said on Tuesday that Indian outsourcing firms may soon want to look next door to fill their hiring needs.

“There is an ever increasing demand for IT-BPO services, particularly as western societies produce fewer IT graduates,” said Mr. Murthy, according to a transcript of his remarks to Indian and Pakistani businessmen in New Delhi.

“All that must be done is to develop Pakistan as a destination of choice of international clients. This is where India can help,” he said.

Mr. Murthy suggested that Indian technical institutes – the most prominent among them are the Indian Institutes of Technology – could help prepare Pakistani students for IT jobs.

“As we have collaborations between U.S. universities and Indian universities we can do the same way as long as there is an environment of peace and cooperation,” said Mr. Murthy after his talk at the gathering that was part of the Aman ki Asha (Hope of Peace) campaign of Pakistan’s Jang publishing group and the Times of India.

IITs take the country’s best students and put them through a tough science and math-based curriculum. Many of their graduates have founded some of India’s most successful businesses — Mr. Murthy graduated from IIT Kanpur with a Master’s in Technology in 1969.

A former Pakistani finance minister was taken by the idea.

“I very much like the suggestion that Mr. Murthy had. It’s a doable thing,” said Shahid Javaid Burki. “India can do it. Pakistan should let India do it, which is let the IITs make investments in Pakistan.”

Trust an Indian bureaucrat to bring Mr. Murthy firmly back to earth.

“You very rightly said that there is a potential for investment at the moment. And in the IT sector you had specifically said there is a…wage arbitrage that is now available,” said Arvind Mehta, a senior official in India’s Ministry of Commerce and Industry. “Does the IT industry have any specific plans at the moment of doing some investments in Pakistan?”

Not really, Mr. Murthy admitted.

“We must be very realistic. We must accept that at this point of time it is a vision statement, it is an intention,” said Mr. Murthy. “Unless leaders of the two countries come together and create the basic infrastructure, for travel, communication, safety, confidence in the environment, I don’t think businesses can step up.”

Still, it’s a nice idea, most of all because the nature of outsourcing would allow Indian and Pakistani businesses to sidestep one of the biggest headaches in relations between the two countries: Getting visas.

Murthy’s Dream: IIT Karachi, IIT Lahore - India Real Time - WSJ

My point was, If he was talking about helping Pakistan in bootstraping the BPO industry, then I feel there is hardly anything that we may help. Its a known thing and well tested method now. Why someone would seek India's help in bootstraping the same. again my personal viewpoint.
Well, to be honest, maybe some pakistani member can comment on state of BPO industry in Pakistan. Should we infer, coming from Mr.Murthy's mouth, that it is far behind Indian BPO industry?

"India should share BPO expertise with Pakistan : Mr.Narayan Murthy"

why?????? hum hi duniya me sabse bewakuf baithe hai?

what will be the gain from it????

it can't be one way street, for the last 60 years we always walk "that extra mile" and what we have achieved by this??

you can't do something that has not earned any positive results for last 60 years, on the other hand situations has been getting worse day by day.

Its time to change that policy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom