What's new

India sends warship to Iraq to help stranded nationals

why a fighting ship? India Navy don't have any other ship to do that like LHD or LPD?? Viraat may have accommodate more people and with heli they could have done it much better then a fighting ship.
Bigger ship might take longer to get to Iraq with in the time frame. We could have sent INS Jalashwa but it might be at the eastern command so it will take it time to get there. I guess we also have to take into account that a destroyer can also do the job of fighting off any attempted attack on the ship or national in case of attack by militants.

Bigger ship might take longer to get to Iraq with in the time frame. We could have sent INS Jalashwa but it might be at the eastern command so it will take it time to get there. I guess we also have to take into account that a destroyer can also do the job of fighting off any attempted attack on the ship or national in case of attack by militants.

Navy is never sent for quick evacuation, Air Force do that, your C-103Js are ideal to do that even in hostile situations.

Navy is never sent for quick evacuation, Air Force do that, your C-103Js are ideal to do that even in hostile situations.
True, but I guess with the current accident with the C-130 the air force could be waiting for the results. I am not sure about the C-17, they might get sent afterwards, since we are not really sure about the situation in Iraq, and specially when the main city will be under siege by militants pretty soon, so it would be unwise to send in aircraft without protection.

True, but I guess with the current accident with the C-130 the air force could be waiting for the results. I am not sure about the C-17, they might get sent afterwards, since we are not really sure about the situation in Iraq, and specially when the main city will be under siege by militants pretty soon, so it would be unwise to send in aircraft without protection.

IAF planes are put on stand by, but the reason why they are not used currently is because we need a permission from the Iraqi government.

IAF planes are put on stand by, but the reason why they are not used currently is because we need a permission from the Iraqi government.
See that's the part I don't understand they are alright with a fully armed to the teeth destroyer coming into their territory but not with a transport plane??

Oh, yes I forgot IAF have C-17s awesome plane in its class and it is quite capable of doing the job as it can land on very small strips and bigger capacity then C-130s, but does it is as rugged as C-130s and take beating like them and take people on board back home safely?

I know, the article said that each ship could carry 1000 people.

True, but taking a tanker or even better the INS Jalashwa to the Persian gulf would have made more sense.

And I am sure that it will take time than one day to actually pick up everyone.

Perhaps the point was to send something that could return in one piece without being fire down and destroyed. A destroyer can hold on itself in case shit hits the fan out there and it happens to be under attack.

True, but I guess with the current accident with the C-130 the air force could be waiting for the results
The IAF never grounded their C-130-30J fleet following that incident. The initial reports suggested pilot error and the subsequent findings seem to support this hypothesis. The IAF stated they were ready to send both the C-130J and C-17 into evacuate Indians depending on the number of people needing to be evacuated and such.

Oh, yes I forgot IAF have C-17s awesome plane in its class and it is quite capable of doing the job as it can land on very small strips and bigger capacity then C-130s, but does it is as rugged as C-130s and take beating like them and take people on board back home safely?
Depends what kind of "beating" you are referring to. If you're talking about a physical one in terms of being shot at then I would say no a/c is designed to do that and no AF would send their transport a/c into such an environment. If you are talking about rough field operations both the C-130 and C-17 claim to able to operate from untarmaced/unpaved landing strips- the C-17 has the added bonus of being able to reverse under its own power. They are both tested at this and both would deliver I am sure it all depends the number of people needing to be airlifted as the IAF have said, for larger groups they would send the C-17, for less the C-130J-30.

The whole article doesn't make any sense. On the one hand it says that a destroyer to evacuate people, which is unusual enough, since neither it's firepower is needed nor does it have the capacty to evacuate a useful ammount of people. On the other hand it says it will be send there and then it will await orders, but who says then that it's send for evacuation? Not to mention that such a vessel has only a limited number of helicopters with a limited range and the isis operations still are pretty far north, which makes evacuation not that simple either.
Afaik Bagdhad air port is also still operational, so we can even send Air India passenger aircrafts to evacuate people and even if not there, to any airport further to the south..., all this makes it very unlikely that this deployment has anything to do with the evacuation at all.

People were criticising Modi for not intervening, well here it is, everything is done in a calculated manner after consulting all branches of Security forces.

Last edited:
Good move but need to send INS Jalashwa too and will provide cover by our destroyer and frigates.

But, do not need to do anything silly in Iraq. We need our people back without any trouble.

why a fighting ship? India Navy don't have any other ship to do that like LHD or LPD?? Viraat may have accommodate more people and with heli they could have done it much better then a fighting ship.

These ships were diverted to Iraq from their routine anti piracy mission for they would reach faster than any ship leaving from our base.
The options are wide, we might aswell end up using VIRAAT like our previous evacuation mission if situation demands

--
yes but it may need air clearance from iraq..
but india got special persmion to dock at port

Back
Top Bottom