What's new

India seeks dedicated space at Chittagong port of Bangladesh: Union minister

Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

India seeks dedicated space at Chittagong port of Bangladesh: Union minister​

PTI11 November, 2022

https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https://theprint.in/economy/india-seeks-dedicated-space-at-chittagong-port-of-bangladesh-union-minister/1211850/

Kolkata, Nov 11 (PTI) Union minister Rajkumar Ranjan Singh on Friday said that India has requested Bangladesh for a dedicated or special space at its Chittagong port for smooth movement of goods, which will help bolster the economy of the northeastern region.

India recently concluded trial runs for trans-shipment of cargo to connect northeastern states with the rest of the country using two major Bangladeshi ports – Chittagong and Mongla – via the India-Bangladesh Protocol Route.

“We are requesting Bangladesh for a special space at Chittagong port that would help the North East immensely,” Singh, the Union minister of state for external affairs, said at an annual session of the Indian Chamber of Commerce.

Later, speaking to PTI, he said that as the Chittagong port is very congested, a special space will help smooth movement of goods.

“We are requesting Bangladesh for a special space at Chittagong port that would help the North East immensely,” Singh, the Union minister of state for external affairs, said at an annual session of the Indian Chamber of Commerce.

Later, speaking to PTI, he said that as the Chittagong port is very congested, a special space will help smooth movement of goods.

Hasina Bibi claims she has biult a deep seaport in Payra. However, its effective depth is only 5.0 meters.

BD should ask India to use Payra. This is how BD trucking business will get a boost by transporting Indian goods over the Padma Bridge.

The bridge will also earn higher toll money.

Last edited:
Dedicated space cost money, if I want to park my car by valet I gotta spend more than what people pay at the meter.

Last edited:
Hasina Bibi claims she has biult a deep seaport in Payra. However, its effective depth is only 5.0 meters.

BD should ask India to use Payra. This how BD trucking business will get a boost by transporting Indian goods over the Padma Bridge.

The bridge will also earn higher toll money.
Current depth of Payra port is 8 meter. Dredging is going on to increase the depth 10.5 meter which will allow 40 thousand ton cargo ship to anchor at Payra port.

Current depth of Payra port is 8 meter. Dredging is going on to increase the depth 10.5 meter which will allow 40 thousand ton cargo ship to anchor at Payra port.
Payra is not a deep sea port. But, have you checked the volume of earth dredging works of 2.5 meters? I do not know what are the length and width of the dredging.

But, note one point Earthwork is very very expensive though non-engineering people do not usually realize it just by seeing it. It is too expensive and this port will not pay back the investment for earthwork.

Payra is an absurd project in terms of civil engineering. But, Hasina Bibi is wasting money here to please the people of Patuakhali and Gopalganj.

Last edited:
Payra is not a deep sea port. But, have you checked the volume of earth dredging works of 2.5 meters? I do not know what are the length and width of the dredging.
The capital dredging of the seaport's Rabnabad channel will create a 75km-long, 100-125meter-wide and 10.5meter-deep channel.
Payra is an absurd project in terms of civil engineering. But, Hasina Bibi is wasting money here to please the people of Patuakhali and Gopalganj.
For national security reason, Bangladesh need alternate sea ports(not necessarily a deep one) other than Chittagong-Cox's bazar region. For a country like Bangladesh with 170 million people, one or two sea port in one region is very inadequate and it is also potentially vulnerable to enemy hostile action.

Payra will not be a deep sea port, so it's maintainance cost will be manageable I think. We will have four sea ports, only Matarbari in Cox's Bazar will be the deep one, other three will act as regional ports. Payra port is also necessary to unlock the development in Barishal division and this Payra port is also have the shortest distance from Dhaka thus cost effective for export-import from Dhaka urban agglomeration. These are the reasons I think this port is being developed.

Last edited:
For national security reason, Bangladesh need alternate sea ports(not necessarily a deep one) other than Chittagong-Cox's bazar region. For a country like Bangladesh with 170 million people, one or two sea port in one region is very inadequate and it is also potentially vulnerable to enemy hostile action.

Payra will not be a deep sea port, so it's maintainance cost will be manageable I think. We will have four sea ports, only Matarbari in Cox's Bazar will be the deep one, other three will act as regional ports. Payra port is also necessary to unlock the development in Barishal division and this Payra port is also have the shortest distance from Dhaka thus cost effective for export-import from Dhaka urban agglomeration. These are the reasons I think this port is being developed.
I could not finish the trash you wrote. Do not please makeup things. Since when you have been appointed a National Security Advisor to Hasina Bibi/?

She already wasted $1 billion on some river digging works in Payra. Do not please falsify as usual.

Back
Top Bottom