What's new

India’s vanishing Parsis

Do parsi women get their surname changed to their husband's surname after marriage?

Yes they do. Parsi lineage unlike in Jews is patriachal. Though a lot of girls (professionals mainly) do hyphenate as well.

Before he was banned, vsdoc was going to set me up with a nice Parsi girl :cry::cry::cry:

LOL im not agree with ur last line hahahaha...and yes malik is the arabic word .here is SOME NAMES OF GOD from 100 names .....

your denial cant change the history sunshine...i can only try to remove ur doubts though...here you go

The Awan historiographers maintain that the Awans are descended from an individual named Qutb Shah, who originally resided in Herat, served in the army of Mahmud of Ghazni, and was a Hashemite descendant of the Prophet Muhammad's cousin and son-in-law, Ali (but by a wife other than the Prophet's daughter, Fatimah

Sir Lepel Henry Griffin states:
"All branches of the tribe are unanimous in stating that they originally came from the neighbourhood of Ghazni to India, and all trace their genealogy to Hasrat Ali the son-in-law of the Prophet. Kutab Shah, who came from Ghazni with Sultan Mahmud, was the common ancestor of the Awans.

It is asserted that Qutb Shah and six of his sons accompanied and assisted Mahmud in his early eleventh century conquests of what today forms parts of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Northern India.

Christophe Jaffrelot states:
"The Awan deserve close attention, because of their historical importance and, above all, because they settled in the west, right up to the edge of Baluchi and Pashtun territory. Legend has it that their origins go back to Imam Ali and his second wife, Hanafiya. Historians describe them as valiant warriors and farmers who imposed their supremacy on the Janjua in part of the Salt Range, and established large colonies all along the Indus to Sind, and a densely populated centre not far from Lahore."

Philip Edward Jones:
"The Awan Tribe is perhaps the most heavily recruited tribe for the Pakistan Army."

In the opening to his account of the Awan tribe, H. A. Rose comments:
"The Awans are an important tribe, exclusively Muhammadan."

John Henry Hutton has said of the Awans:
"They are exclusively Muslim and probably the descendants of some of the earlier Muslim invaders of the tenth century or earlier."

The Awan tribe is also to be found in great numbers in Khyber Pukhtunkhwa(MANSEHRA DISTRICT IS WHERE I AM FROM),particularly in the Hazara Division, Peshawar valley and the districts of Nowshera, Kohat, Abbottabad, Haripur, Mansehra, Bannu, Swat, and Mardan. A smaller portion of the tribe resides in Azad Kashmir, and to a lesser extent is also present in the Pakistani provinces of Sindh and Balochistan. In addition, Awans can also be found in Afghanistan and some parts of India.

Ahura Mazda has 101 names. We never stop at 100, or multiples thereof. It is always auspicious to have One more.

So here are the 101 names of AHURA MAZDA:

Name

2. Harvesp tavãn
(Omnipotent)
3. Harvesp âgâh
(Omniscient)
4. Harvesp khudâ
(The Lord of the Universe)

Ahaa ... Harvesp seems to be a related to the Sanskrit Sarva, which means all or everything. In linguistic evolution, S often gets replaced by H. Another direction in which Sarva has evolved is Sarva -> Sarba -> Sab, which is the colloquial Hindi word.

Rig Vedic, a slight correction buddy.

Don't you think in sound as well as meaning wise Harvesp would correspond more closely to Sarvast ?

The meaning remaining the same of course.

Rig Vedic, a slight correction buddy.

Don't you think in sound as well as meaning wise Harvesp would correspond more closely to Sarvast ?

The meaning remaining the same of course.

I haven't heard of Sarvast, but there is the Sanskrit word Sarvatra, which is closely related to Sarva.

I haven't heard of Sarvast, but there is the Sanskrit word Sarvatra, which is closely related to Sarva.

Sarvast is Hindi bhai. Isn't it? As in sarvast samooh .... ?

What was I thinking. A bawa exposing his Hindi knowledge in front of the whole world ..... :hang2:

your denial cant change the history sunshine...i can only try to remove ur doubts though...here you go

The Awan historiographers maintain that the Awans are descended from an individual named Qutb Shah, who originally resided in Herat, served in the army of Mahmud of Ghazni, and was a Hashemite descendant of the Prophet Muhammad's cousin and son-in-law, Ali (but by a wife other than the Prophet's daughter, Fatimah

Sir Lepel Henry Griffin states:
"All branches of the tribe are unanimous in stating that they originally came from the neighbourhood of Ghazni to India, and all trace their genealogy to Hasrat Ali the son-in-law of the Prophet. Kutab Shah, who came from Ghazni with Sultan Mahmud, was the common ancestor of the Awans.

It is asserted that Qutb Shah and six of his sons accompanied and assisted Mahmud in his early eleventh century conquests of what today forms parts of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Northern India.

Christophe Jaffrelot states:
"The Awan deserve close attention, because of their historical importance and, above all, because they settled in the west, right up to the edge of Baluchi and Pashtun territory. Legend has it that their origins go back to Imam Ali and his second wife, Hanafiya. Historians describe them as valiant warriors and farmers who imposed their supremacy on the Janjua in part of the Salt Range, and established large colonies all along the Indus to Sind, and a densely populated centre not far from Lahore."

Philip Edward Jones:
"The Awan Tribe is perhaps the most heavily recruited tribe for the Pakistan Army."

In the opening to his account of the Awan tribe, H. A. Rose comments:
"The Awans are an important tribe, exclusively Muhammadan."

John Henry Hutton has said of the Awans:
"They are exclusively Muslim and probably the descendants of some of the earlier Muslim invaders of the tenth century or earlier."

The Awan tribe is also to be found in great numbers in Khyber Pukhtunkhwa(MANSEHRA DISTRICT IS WHERE I AM FROM),particularly in the Hazara Division, Peshawar valley and the districts of Nowshera, Kohat, Abbottabad, Haripur, Mansehra, Bannu, Swat, and Mardan. A smaller portion of the tribe resides in Azad Kashmir, and to a lesser extent is also present in the Pakistani provinces of Sindh and Balochistan. In addition, Awans can also be found in Afghanistan and some parts of India.
when did i deny this history????im very proud of my muslims invaders.........:smitten:

I am only answering because you mentioned me in your post.

All I will say is that Shia, including Iranian Shia, do not view Islam as an Arabian imposition, emphasis on 'imposition'

So, to answer your point, the Iranian-Arabian racial rivalry will not have any impact on the Shia faith. I know you will not believe it, because you want to believe something else but, until you understand the Shia psyche, you simply will not understand the solid security of the faith. If anything, the Iranians see themselves as the fort of Shia Islam. Like I wrote, the Iranians have been celebrating Zoroastrian festivals for centuries -- they never stopped -- but that's as far as it goes.
hmmm... lol what? of course we do!!
Only practicing shia muslims share your view.

Go to an Iranian college and make friends with a couple of Iranians till they feel comfortable around you. You will meet Iranians for the first time then ;)

btw, shia Islam is to Azari Iranians as zoroastrianism is to Parsi/Persian Iranians. Of course you'll see many practicing shia parsis, but it's only azaris that are hard core muslims. They tie part of their identity to the religion, just like Turks and Pakistanis. Persian Iranians on the other hand see Islam as an Arab import. Although Azaris are only 13 percent of Iran, a good chunk of current Ayatollahs in Iran are Azaris, including khamenei. I've never done a head count, but their names are listed on wiki.

Also, read this thread (you'll see my contribution there as well lol):
SkyscraperCity

Iranians will never revert wholesale, but a good chunk of Iran has never accepted Islam. They didn't accept it 1400 years ago, and we're not accepting it now (minority of ppl of course). The problem is that for 1400 years Islam has been shoved down our throats, and it still is. During the Safavid dynasty and Qajar dynasty when shia Islam was being forced on Iranians, hundreds of thousands of Zoroastrians were either killed or forced to convert. Today, those of us that are purely statistical muslims don't even dare bring up the idea of conversion as it's a punishable crime under this regime!! Statistical muslim Iranians have been waiting for democracy for 1400 years. Only then we can show the world our true selves. Even if a million Iranians convert to zoroastrianism in the next 4 decades, that would be enough to start something big, but even if it doesn't, there are a lot of us who wouldn't mind converting from a religion that we have zero interest and belief in.

Edit: here's a chart of Iranian-Americans' beliefs. Remember that the majority of Iranian-Americans left during the Islamic Republic era and are part of the IR educated mass. If you do a chart in Canada, it would be the same. This is what happens when Iranians are given a choice.

IAmericanreligions.png

Practitioners of both Islam as well as Zoroastrianism are pretty religious people. Of course how they think about their faith and that of others may be different, but they are both religious from what I have seen. In such a scenario, the purple slice says a whole lot more than either the green or the orange.

Thanks for your inputs Abii.

hmmm... lol what? of course we do!!
Only practicing shia muslims share your view.

Go to an Iranian college and make friends with a couple of Iranians till they feel comfortable around you. You will meet Iranians for the first time then ;)

btw, shia Islam is to Azari Iranians as zoroastrianism is to Parsi/Persian Iranians. Of course you'll see many practicing shia parsis, but it's only azaris that are hard core muslims. They tie part of their identity to the religion, just like Turks and Pakistanis. Persian Iranians on the other hand see Islam as an Arab import. Although Azaris are only 13 percent of Iran, a good chunk of current Ayatollahs in Iran are Azaris, including khamenei. I've never done a head count, but their names are listed on wiki.

Also, read this thread (you'll see my contribution there as well lol):
SkyscraperCity

Iranians will never revert wholesale, but a good chunk of Iran has never accepted Islam. They didn't accept it 1400 years ago, and we're not accepting it now (minority of ppl of course). The problem is that for 1400 years Islam has been shoved down our throats, and it still is. During the Safavid dynasty and Qajar dynasty when shia Islam was being forced on Iranians, hundreds of thousands of Zoroastrians were either killed or forced to convert. Today, those of us that are purely statistical muslims don't even dare bring up the idea of conversion as it's a punishable crime under this regime!! Statistical muslim Iranians have been waiting for democracy for 1400 years. Only then we can show the world our true selves. Even if a million Iranians convert to zoroastrianism in the next 4 decades, that would be enough to start something big, but even if it doesn't, there are a lot of us who wouldn't mind converting from a religion that we have zero interest and belief in.

Edit: here's a chart of Iranian-Americans' beliefs. Remember that the majority of Iranian-Americans left during the Islamic Republic era and are part of the IR educated mass. If you do a chart in Canada, it would be the same. This is what happens when Iranians are given a choice.

IAmericanreligions.png

Is this a way to connect to your glorious past or to move away from a forced religion??

@ angeldust and VSDOC (vsdoc plz PM me about this once your ban is lifted), I've been thinking about converting for a while now, but the fact that the Iranian govt would still consider me a muslim has always been a huge let down. I know it sounds insane, but I truly have ZEROOOOO belief and interest in Islam. When I know that I'm part of the figures the Iranian govt shows to the world about the number of muslims in Iran and when I realize that my Iranian papers will still identify me as muslim, I get put off, or I did in the past. Now I try to look to the future and I realize that democracy will come to Iran before my time on this earth is due. Than all those that have secretly converted or want to convert can make it official in Iran.

Anyway, can one of you guys help me with the books I need to buy to understand the faith? I don't want it to be purely symbolic, I want to learn, and I'm sure I wouldn't be allowed to convert without knowing the religion anyway. I know that there are a lot of Iranians who have converted here in North america, and in fact my mom knew one of them, but they haven't been in contact for a long time. Years ago she wanted to give me a couple of books to read but I declined. I'm ready now, so what should I read? There are a ton of historical books and Zoroastrian related stuff in our house, but I don't want history and an anthropological observation of the community, I want the real deal. Is there a holy book? :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom