What's new

INDIA’S DEFENSE: THE SHOCKING TRUTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Srinagar-Leh highway is some 20km far away from point 5353 so your comment is mostly exaggeration. We also have an alternate route to Kargil though Manali-Leh highway which is being converted into all weather highway with a 8.8km long tunnel which proves that point 5353 is just a white elephant for Pakistan Army and there is not much cheering about it. Even the control on Haji Pir Pass could not help Pakistan much. India is revamping infrastructure in Himalayan region with all weather roads and Rail line projects which crash-crunched Pakistan could not afford, even your railway is on the verge of being closed.

==============
==============

did you ever cared to listen to his whole interview and just fooled by the title.

The pics of the Rohtant tunnel

map.jpg

rohtang-tunnel-630.jpg

rohtang-tunnel.jpg

runnel-portal.jpg

1.jpg

39911870.jpg

ROHTANG%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Rohtang Tunnel is a tunnel being built[1] under the Rohtang Pass in the eastern Pir Panjal range of the Himalayas on the Leh-Manali Highway. With 8.8 km (5.5 mi) length, the tunnel will be the longest road tunnel in India and is expected to reduce the distance between Manali and Keylong by about 60 km (37.3 mi)[2] The tunnel is at 3,100 metres (10,171 ft) elevation whereas the Rohtang pass is at 3,978 metres (13,051 ft) elevation. Lying on the Manali-Leh axis, this is one of the two routes to Ladakh. The other route through the Zoji La pass on the Srinagar-Drass-Kargil-Leh highway also gets blocked by snow for nearly four months in a year. These two routes are vital to feed military supplies into the sub-sector west (facing Aksai Chin) and the Siachen Glacier.

The tunnel is intended to create an all-weather route to Leh and Lahaul and Spiti valleys in Himachal Pradesh. Rohtang pass, located 51 km (31.7 mi) away from Manali, is at an altitude of 3,978 metres (13,051 ft). It receives heavy snowfall and blizzards during winter months for about four months. A feasibility study for the construction of a tunnel across Rohtang Pass was conducted by M/S RITES.

(e) Design vehicular speed in Tunnel

(i) Maximum Speed – 80 km/h (50 mph)
(ii) Minimum Speed – 30 km/h (19 mph)

Project Cost : approximately Rs.17 billion (Euro 250 million)

Safety measures

A 2.25 m high and 3.6 m wide emergency tunnel will be integrated in the tunnel cross-section beneath the main carriageway for evacuation during emergencies.

The latest Austrian tunnelling method and ventilation system — semi transverse type considered as safest — will be adopted for this project. Heavy snowfall in the Rohtang Pass area is a major concern, especially on the approach roads to the main tunnel. To prevent any damage to the roads and to ensure the safety of the roads and tunnel users alike, avalanche control structures are being constructed. The design for these structures is being provided by the Snow and Avalanche Study Establishment of DRDO.

As the Rohtang tunnel will witness heavy traffic, vehicular management and checking pollution is a priority. For this, CCTV cameras would be placed at a regular distance and will be further connected to two monitoring rooms on both ends of the tunnel. Sensors to check the pollution level will keep on updating the data and if the record is above the desired level, then quantity of fresh air injected inside the tunnel would be increased. Pollution level will be controlled within 90 seconds adding that two heavy duty fans each on both openings of the tunnel will be installed to inject fresh air inside.

The tunnel will have semi-transverse ventilation system, where large fans would separately circulate air throughout the tunnel length. Another safety feature being added is that fire inside the tunnel will be controlled within an area of 200 metres and fire hydrants will be provided on specific locations.

The horse shoe-shaped tunnel will also have public announcement system inside to make important announcement in emergency situations for which loudspeakers will be installed at regular distance.

Trivia

When completed in 2015, the 8.8 km (5.5 mi) long tunnel is also set to become the world longest tunnel at an altitude between 3,053–3,080 m or 10,020–10,100 ft.[21] The nearest in comparison to the Rohtang Tunnel would be the Anzob Tunnel in Tajikistan (5 kilometres13.1 mi/, altitude 3,372 metres011,063 ft/),the Eisenhower–Johnson Memorial Tunnel in the United States (2.73 kilometres11.70 mi/, altitude 3,401 metres011,158 ft/).

There were proposals of installing a Neutrino detector in the tunnel by Punjab University and Tata Institute of Fundamental Research[22]

The 85 km distance from Manali to Keylong on the other side of Rohtang Pass is usually covered by vehicles in about five to six hours, without counting the long hours of traffic jams on the hilly route. The same distance would now be covered in less than half-an-hour through the tunnel and without traffic snarls. Keylong would be just 25 km from the North Portal of the tunnel.

leave bla blaa blaa tribune express etc sources.. listen what a GENERAL who lead the KARGIL operation "FROM INDIAN SIDE"!

ano enjoy kar putar!

I would better believe an ex-PM(P.S. See the whole Vid).
Nawaz Sharif:Lost more than 3,000 men in Kargil.

Even CENTCOM Gen. Tony Zinni agrred that it was Mushy who wanted to save his men from being battered everyday asked Sharif to retreat.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Indian Army’s soldiers, The officers, are very very Brave and they make do with what they have. And so far they have done a good job. But the future wars are not going to be man-dependent; They’re going to be machine dependent and system-dependent. If they are left with what they have today God Help them.
India’s night-fighting capabilities is virtually nonexistent. The artillery is of poor quality. The new assault rifles that the Indian Soldier is supposed to use will take least another three to four years before they are acquired. For the last three years, the army has not fired a single 9mm carbine because it does not have the ammunition. The army has not carried out practice rounds for its tanks because it lacks 125mm ammunition. It is using air defense guns from the 1950’s and their radar network is poor.

All this started when in September 2010 the government called upon its services to be prepared to fight a two-fronts war against Pakistan and China which was nothing new it is the Defense Ministry Directives but this directive does not point out what it actually wants and what kind of capability it wants of the military.
As far as the equipment profile of the 3 armed services is concerned, the army is the worst-off. And that is what General Singh had written to the prime minister about. He had said there is no ammunition for the tanks, the infantry is in bad shape, and the air defense is obsolete. What General Singh has said is something that has been reiterated over the years by comptroller and auditor general, the public accounts committee and the parliament’s defense committee. The reality is a lot worse than what he has written in his letter. India’s night-fighting capability is virtually nonexistent. Over 75 percent of its armor fleet is incapable of operating in the dark. The army’s entire helicopter fleet too is night-blind. The artillery is of poor quality because the range of the artillery that the Indian military has is roughly about 35 to 37 km( 21.7 to 22.9 miles), whereas the range of Pakistan and China is 40km plus ( 24.8 miles). Last November in an emergency purchase Indian army purchased 66,000 125mm rounds from Russia at tremendous cost $ 60 mil.
The profile of Indian Army Aviation is pathetic, The Helicopters they are using are from the 1960’s and have been upgraded. The acquisition of 197 light observation helicopters has been help up for the last 10 years, Last tender was cancelled in 2007 and was re-tendered, but it is still in process.

Question India is the world's largest weapons importer so why is it in a mess and who is responsible for it.

The above write up is based on the article of Rahul Bedi published by Rediff :woot:

Many lines and paragraphs are lifted from the article.

The link to the original article:

MUST READ: The shocking truth about India's armed forces - Rediff.com News

@Adnan Faruqi
These days we are getting lots and lots of tunnels in India. 8.8km long Rohtang Tunnel, 11km long Banihal Rail Tunnel, 7km long Sangaldan Rail tunnel, 9 km long tunnel for 4 laning Jammu-Srinagar Highway. I am happy at the government is investing a lot in modernization of our Infrastructure in Himalayan region.

I read that two new rail projects (Jammu-Akhnoor-Poonch) and (Bilaspur(HP)-Manali-Leh) are before planning commission for final approval and they have given signal that project would be approved. And once day we would travel to Leh directly from Delhi on a Train.

While the point is clearly on the Indian side of the LoC, it remains in Pakistani control which has fortified it with reinforced bunkers and has even built a special road nearby to carry up supplies for soldiers.

The Indian Army, which made several unsuccessful attempts to occupy the post after the Kargil war, has since given up the post as “untenable” given the geography of the region that makes it fairly easy for Pakistani troops to climb.

What makes Point 5353 so valuable for the two armies is that it has a clear view of the national highway that connects the Kashmir valley with Kargil. The main reason the Army retaliated hard to the Pakistani intrusion in 1999 was that disruption of traffic on the road would cut off supplies to Ladakh and the Siachen glacier.

Dude, these are not my words but quotes from your own media.

:lol:, since when you have started believing Indian media, when every time you call it crap (and sometimes I do too).

Let me give you the word of then then defence minister and I am sure his words are much more reliable than the madia....

"Union Defence Minister George Fernandes put forward the sole cogent official response to the revelations about Point 5353. "5353," he said, "is the point over which the LoC goes. The fact i s, our troops had never occupied that. The normal practice among them has been that where the line goes over a peak, then nobody occupies it."

and the co-ordinates of LOC was shared with both parties in 1972.

Anyway, we are going off topic, so I will leave it at that.

@Adnan Faruqi
These days we are getting lots and lots of tunnels in India. 8.8km long Rohtang Tunnel, 11km long Banihal Rail Tunnel, 7km long Sangaldan Rail tunnel, 9 km long tunnel for 4 laning Jammu-Srinagar Highway. I am happy at the government is investing a lot in modernization of our Infrastructure in Himalayan region.

I read that two new rail projects (Jammu-Akhnoor-Poonch) and (Bilaspur(HP)-Manali-Leh) are before planning commission for final approval and they have given signal that project would be approved. And once day we would travel to Leh directly from Delhi on a Train.

Bhai, u have missed 2 tunnel projects in Kashmir

The work on two strategic all-weather tunnels on Srinagar-Leh highway - Zojila and Z Morh - will begin in August.

1. Srinagar-Leh highway - Zojila tunnel = 6.5 kms

2. Z Morh tunnel = 12 km.

Srinagar-Leh tunnel work to start in Aug - Times Of India

Apart from these 2 tunnels there are 5 more tunnels are planned in the Kashmir.
:cheers:

BRO plans to link Leh and Srinagar with all-weather roads : North News - India Today

If I am not wrong I did say I got this from an Indian Analyst smart ***.

You guys have screwed this thread up. I wanted a mature talk but looks like it will take some time for you guys to grow up. As long as you all have this attitude of I am better than you we can never have a proper discussion and a mature one.
I am Sorry.

I came to this forum after a long time good to see old friends. I am closing this thread because its all messed up. Instead discussing the topic we have actually ended up in 1971 and than Kargil. Its a Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom