What's new

India requests deal for three more AEW aircraft

herakles

New Recruit

Reaction score
link

getAsset.aspx

India has requested a proposal from Israel Aerospace Industries to supply another three Ilyushin Il-76-based airborne early warning aircraft.
Worth a potential $1.5 billion, a new deal would follow New Delhi's previous order for three Il-76s modified by IAI's Elta Systems subsidiary. It would also stem from a defence ministry to further bolster the Indian air force's AEW capabilities.
The service should receive its second AEW aircraft in mid-2010 under the original contract, with the third to follow next year. Roles for the type include the tactical surveillance of airborne targets, and performing electronic intelligence-gathering missions.

I saw somewhere on the this forum that we were going to order 9 more?Any details?

I saw somewhere on the this forum that we were going to order 9 more?Any details?

Judging from the day news cropped up....it could have bin an April fool joke..it said IAF wanted 9 A-50I ....made no sense since we are operating phalcons now.

India has requested a proposal from Israel Aerospace Industries to supply another three Ilyushin Il-76-based airborne early warning aircraft.
Worth a potential $1.5 billion, a new deal would follow New Delhi's previous order for three Il-76s modified by IAI's Elta Systems subsidiary. It would also stem from a defence ministry to further bolster the Indian air force's AEW capabilities.
The service should receive its second AEW aircraft in mid-2010 under the original contract, with the third to follow next year. Roles for the type include the tactical surveillance of airborne targets, and performing electronic intelligence-gathering missions.

Good for India. It will help us to cover more area.

Thanks for the news... I will post this article in Orkut:lol:

Hard to say, because nearly every month we see news like this. Not sure if these 3 are the optional 3 from the first deal, or if these will be additional oncem. In generall we can say there will be at least 6 A50 Phalcons in future, maybe even 3, or 6 more, lets wait and see.

Judging from the day news cropped up....it could have bin an April fool joke..it said IAF wanted 9 A-50I ....made no sense since we are operating phalcons now.

The news made perfect sense.

A-50I aircraft is indeed the IL-76 on which the Phalcon is mounted.

Phalcon is the radar which has to be mounted on a A50I aircraft, to complete the AWACS system.

To complete the AWACS, you need A50I as well as Phalcon radar.

9 A50I would mean, 3 more Phalcons and the rest 6 for DRDO indigenous AWACS.

The news made perfect sense.

A-50I aircraft is indeed the IL-76 on which the Phalcon is mounted.

Phalcon is the radar which has to be mounted on a A50I aircraft, to complete the AWACS system.

To complete the AWACS, you need A50I as well as Phalcon radar.

9 A50I would mean, 3 more Phalcons and the rest 6 for DRDO indigenous AWACS.

Don't confuse yourself and the readers.. A-50I is a AEW&C optimized platform derived from Il-76.

And 9 A50I means 9 Phalcons.. For indigenous production DRDO is using Embraer ERJ145 platform.

Don't confuse yourself and the readers.. A-50I is a AEW&C optimized platform derived from Il-76.

And 9 A50I means 9 Phalcons.. For indigenous production DRDO is using Embraer ERJ145 platform.

A50I isn't necessarily for Phalcon and other radars can be installed on it.
However you are correct about the indigenous DRDO AWACS.

But I never heard about 9 more Phalcons. Deal was made for 6 Phalcons at most and I don't think more would be bought.

A50I isn't necessarily for Phalcon and other radars can be installed on it.
However you are correct about the indigenous DRDO AWACS.

But I never heard about 9 more Phalcons. Deal was made for 6 Phalcons at most and I don't think more would be bought.

I guess u r right about the designations :cheers:
But will IAF go for 9 more phacons based on IL-76 platform remains to be seen.
I guess IAF is not very happy with IL-76..they want something more advanced as apparent from canceled Airbus A330 MRTT deal.

Back
Top Bottom