What's new

India ranks below China, Pak in global hunger index

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk about shooting in the dark, remember most of these reports are always by region..
here:
2010 Global Hunger Index: Facts and Findings: Asia | International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)

As far as India-China go, stats like these are immensely important since India is like China when it comes to population, growth potential. So its only natural to compare and see what is China doing differently to be ahead.

India has been making progress but has been very very slow:

Between 1990 and 2008, the prevalence of underweight children dropped from 60 percent to 44 percent and is now at 42%

We are NOT talking about international reports region-wise over such issues.

here we are talking about Indian habit if brushing the ills under the carpet by saying look the neighbouring country/ies is/are having same problems or far behind you.

Hey hey, let's leave that behind us...

This thread is as useless as the Pakistan failed state thread...

We are NOT talking about international reports region-wise over such issues.

here we are talking about Indian habit if brushing the ills under the carpet by saying look the neighbouring country/ies is/are having same problems or far behind you.

They had enough of that during CWG ;)

Let's spare them some dignity.

I too wish India did a little less brand advertising, and Pakistan did a little more.

Oh, i was told by some Indians, Chinese will never understand "freedom, democracy" etc,
now can someone enlighten me how does the wonderful "biggest democracy" lead to "biggest starvation population" on the planet?:pop:
Wow! too good to be true: 9 place for communist China and 67 for democracy India:smitten:

India has a poor distribution system . on one had tonnes of food grains are r0tting and on the other people are starving. Its a real shame.

They had enough of that during CWG ;)

Let's spare them some dignity.

I too wish India did a little less brand advertising, and Pakistan did a little more.

Tuaha honestly there are few areas where i do not take pride in bashing or joking and this thread and some other social issues which both India and Pakistan face alike. Such issues pain me alot. Instead of shying away we both the countries should work out plans.

These are areas where we can cooperate and work for the people all those aman ka cheap tamashas are merely shows put up by organisations to digest more funds from local and international donors.

Does a countries relative ranking of hunger change the number of desperately poor people in its own borders? Do relative ranking feed malnourished children? why is there this compulsive need to compare India to others. This trait and way of thinking if manifest in a person would be considered major insecurity issues.

Ever heard of the term 'peer review'?

aray maray bahi .. i was telling its because 2 - 3 indian states that we lag behind. rest of india is doing pretty good.

I agree. The 4 worst states are Bihar , Uttar Pradesh, Orissa . They are some of the most populous states with the worst politicians, highest corruption and higher tribal population.

Different areas with different financial status have more to do with ground realities and conditions it has nothing to do with your pagar or other ethnic factors

We would have been ashamed if you were a Pakistan.

And btw if we want to be jealous of someone we would go for some high level object of jealousy NOT India which plagued with many ills.

Note: Amritsari sardar one janam was enough.

NOW back to the topic Hunger Index of India

bibi jana urdu is beutifulll language but i dont know what u mean by janam or pagar as my urdu/hindi ist too good. and by the way remember what you are preaching me when you talk about indians. i would have jumped off bridge if i were a pakistani

ontopic

Indian sate wise hunger index

I expected Gujarat to do better

Final_India_Map6.jpg

Astonishing! Common sense say Northern states should do better because of large percentage of arable land. I know Andhra produce fare amount of rice, Don't know about Kerala.

I think distribution and storage are the main problem.

I agree. The 4 worst states are Bihar , Uttar Pradesh, Orissa . They are some of the most populous states with the worst politicians, highest corruption and higher tribal population.

Nope there are 8 states infact in the worst list.

Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, Rajasthan, UP and West Bengal

Nope there are 8 states infact in the worst list.

Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, Rajasthan, UP and West Bengal

From where did you get the list?

From where did you get the list?

Comparisons of hunger across states: India State Hunger Index | International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)

Comparisons of hunger across states: India State Hunger Index

The results of the India State Hunger Index 2008 highlight the continued overall severity of the hunger situation in India, while revealing the variation in hunger across states within India. It is indeed alarming that not a single state in India is either low or moderate in terms of its index score; most states have a “serious” hunger problem, and one state, Madhya Pradesh, has an “extremely alarming” hunger problem.

Although variation exists in index scores of the states, and hence in the ranking of Indian states in relation to other countries, few states perform well in relation to the GHI 2008. Even the best-performing Indian state, Punjab, lies below 33 other developing countries ranked by GHI. Even more alarming is the fact that the worst-performing states in India-Bihar, Jharkhand, and Madhya Pradesh-have index scores similar to countries that are precariously positioned on the GHI 2008 rankings. For instance, Bihar and Jharkhand rank lower than Zimbabwe and Haiti, whereas Madhya Pradesh falls between Ethiopia and Chad.

Our analysis of the associations between the ISHI 2008 and state economic indicators shows that the relationship between poverty and hunger is largely as expected-greater ISHI 2008 scores are seen in poorer states, with a few exceptions. Outliers like Kerala, Orissa, and Punjab perform better on the ISHI 2008 than might be expected given their poverty levels, whereas Gujarat, Karnataka, and Madhya Pradesh perform worse. A closer examination of these states’ past and current investments in social protection, health, and nutrition programs can help inform the debate about policy instruments to protect populations against hunger even in the face of poverty.

The lack of a clear relationship between state-level economic growth and hunger, taken along with the relationship between the ISHI 2008 and poverty and incomes, has a number of implications. First, economic growth is not necessarily associated with poverty reduction. Additionally, even if equitable economic growth improves food availability and access, it might not lead immediately to improvements in child nutrition and mortality, for which more direct investments are required to enable rapid reductions. Thus, in addition to wide-scale poverty alleviation, direct investments in improving food availability and access for poor households, as well as direct targeted nutrition and health interventions to improve nutrition and mortality outcomes for young children, will be needed to raise the ISHI scores and rankings of Indian states.

Child underweight contributes more than either of the other two underlying variables to the GHI score for India and to the ISHI scores for almost all states in India. Tackling child undernutrition, therefore, is crucially important for all states in India. Achieving rapid reductions in child underweight, however, will require scaling up delivery of evidence-based nutrition and health interventions to all women of reproductive age, pregnant and lactating women, and children under the age of two years.

Some economically strong states had rankings on the Nutrition Index that deteriorated when compared with the ISHI 2008, suggesting that it might be important for these states to invest in direct nutrition and poverty alleviation interventions even during sustained economic growth. The design and implementation of policies and programs to improve all three underlying dimensions of the ISHI will need to be strengthened and supported to ensure that hunger is reduced rapidly over time. Although strides are being made on the public health front to ensure sustained reductions in child mortality, improvements in child nutrition are not satisfactory in India. Nutrition programs in India are not effectively delivering evidence-based interventions at scale to vulnerable age groups that need to be reached to ensure rapid reductions in undernutrition.

In conclusion, for Indian states to progress along the ISHI, and to ensure that ISHI scores for Indian states are more closely aligned with GHI scores of countries with comparable economic growth, investments will be needed to strengthen agriculture, improve overall food availability and access to all population segments, and to improve child nutrition and mortality outcomes.

iReader

It would be an interesting debate if we can jump from indexing credibilities and nation comparing to points by which the states which are lagging can be improved on these fronts..

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

That's a different list I guess, but relevant nonetheless.

Yup very much and interrelated as evident by the 2 lists we have viewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom