What's new

India plans to use new Kaveri engine to Power its Sukhoi-30MKI fleet ?

fsayed

Reaction score
Country
India
http://idrw.org/india-plans-use-new-kaveri-engine-power-sukhoi-30mki/
45_PPara_AL31-FP.jpg

It seems India had enough on Quality issues plaguing its AL-31F turbofan engines used to power India’s front line Sukhoi-30MKI Fighter jets and is currently working with French Safran aircraft engine manufacturer to develop a higher thrust engine jointly based on the current Kaveri engine.

According to a report prepared by ” The Print “, India is currently holding confidential talks with the French company to explore the possibility to develop a 125kN thrust Class engine to replace current 123 kN Thrust Class AL-31FP turbofan engines developed by Salyut-HAL. According to the report, Kaveri engine derivative once in production will be replaced under ” Super-30″ Program.

GTRE-SAFRAN are already jointly working together to fix issues pertaining to India’s long delayed Kaveri-engine program. Under Kaveri revival program, French have agreed to fix all issues with Kaveri engine and make it production ready by end of 2018 as part of offset obligation under Dassault Rafale fighter jet deal with India.

It is unlikely India can use same engine core to develop a 125kN thrust class engine and will be completely new design and if cleared will take nearly 7 years before it can be ready to be tested on India’s Sukhoi-30MKI.

Under ” Super-30″ Program, Russian companies had offered India it advance 142 kN thrust class AL-41F1S (117S) turbofan engines used in Su-35 to replace current AL-31F turbofan engines due to repeated issues with the engine but India had denied the offer.

If Advance 123 kN Thrust class Kaveri turbofan engines are ever developed then it is also likely that same engine might be used on India’s 5th Generation AMCA fighter jet program which has engine requirement for 110kN thrust Class.

So as per these reports submarine deal 75i too won by France and more rafale's will b on order soon

Below the link confirmation of kaveri upgrade plans well done manohar parikar u were awesome DF Minister thanks for ur service
https://www.livefistdefence.com/201...bofans-last-mile-problem-a-mystery-noise.html

The good news for the programme is that the DRDO has been given a virtual carte blanche to channelise offsets from the Indian Rafale deal to resurrect the Kaveri. Snecma, a partner in the Rafale programme, builds the Rafale’s twin M88 turbofan engines. Under the terms of the partnership finalised late last year, Snecma is working to modify, certify and integrate the Kaveri on a Light Combat Aircraft airframe before 2020. A later phase in the partnership will involve modifications on the Kaveri for a twin configuration on India’s AMCA fifth generation fighter concept and an altered non-reheat version for the Ghatak UCAV. It is not clear if the Snecma partnership will stretch to the concept Manik mini-turbofan being developed for UAVs and cruise missiles. One of the Kaveri specimens was on display at the recent Aero India show.

AMCA: Intended to be powered by modified DRDO/Snecma Kaveri in twin engine configuration. But this remains in the air for the moment. There are other suitors, notably Boeing’s aggressive pitch that pushes the enhanced GE F414 supercruise capable engine for the AMCA, an engine family that Boeing’s Super Hornet shares with the Saab Gripen E.

GHATAK UCAV: DRDO/Snecma Kaveri modified for non-reheat stealth operations. The Government is clear at this stage that it doesn’t want a foreign powerplant on the sensitive programme.

The airframe already reach half life.

Upgrading the engines would be an extremely bad mistake, singapore make the mistake with the A4-SU

The airframe already reach half life.

Upgrading the engines would be an extremely bad mistake, singapore make the mistake with the A4-SU
Bro we r not upgrading engine as offer made by Russian mentioned in the article but we want to replace the engine from Russian to Indian with almost same configuration with the help of France

India is pressing for short fin barracuda which the French has already offered to Brazil for the P-75i contract. But for diplomatic reason, I believe Soryu will be preferred over other competitors.

Russian engines are very very high maintenanmce intensive.

I am sure our Pakistani friends will be having same trouble with the thunders powered by Russian engines.

Of course the difference in india ITS FREE DEMOCRACY but in countries like our neighbours China & North korea they never make things public. The fragile confidence would be battered too much

I am glad INDIA is moving away from Russian systems to

USA
France
Israel.

India is pressing for short fin barracuda which the French has already offered to Brazil for the P-75i contract. But for diplomatic reason, I believe Soryu will be preferred over other competitors.
I would be glad if Japan finances it too like HSR

Kaveri is a failure!! It's time India accepts that. It's not capable of powering Tejas let alone a Su-30MKI. you would need like 60% more power to get near AL-31 and F-110. if Su-30 can be modified to be powered by F-110 I would try that or even F-135 which would make super cruise a reality

Ok, there's got to be a rule, if it's user submitted content on a website, you can't use it as a source. This entire article is written by some guy who has no concrete evidence one way or another. Even the website itself says it is not responsible for the accuracy of the content.

This would be fine on reddit, but this is a serious military forum.

Kaveri is a failure!! It's time India accepts that. It's not capable of powering Tejas let alone a Su-30MKI. you would need like 60% more power to get near AL-31 and F-110. if Su-30 can be modified to be powered by F-110 I would try that or even F-135 which would make super cruise a reality

All we need is a flux capacitor and Kaveri will be the perfect engine.

Back
Top Bottom