India plans rail route through Bangladesh to connect 2 states​

SOUTH ASIA

TBS Report
05 May, 2022, 06:40 pm
Last modified: 05 May, 2022, 07:27 pm

Rail route important for strategic and economic reasons, says JMCC head
1643801707_jamrail.jpg

Photo: Collected
The Indian government is planning to build a railway through Bangladesh to connect its northeastern state of Meghalaya with the rest of the country.

The Indian Railway has recently sent a proposal to the Railway Board, seeking approval of the project, railway sources said.

Bangladesh will become a connecting point between the two Indian states with the construction of this second rail route. As of now, there is only one route that connects the Northeast with the rest of India. It passes through New Jalpaiguri, New Cooch Behar, New Alipurduar and enters Assam.

A Meghalayan apolitical body, Joint Movement Committee for Corridor (JMCC), flagged the demand for a rail route to connect Hilli of South Dinajpur on the India-Bangladesh border, with Mahendraganj, a bordering town in Tura district of Meghalaya, reports Telegraph India.

Naba Kumar Das, head of JMCC, said he has been informed about the project proposal. "The rail route is important for strategic and economic reasons," he said.

"As of now, one has to travel around 600km to reach Tura from South Dinajpur via Siliguri. But if this route is opened, the distance will come down to 120km," he pointed out.

In 2017, the Indian Union Ministry of External Affairs had carried out a feasibility survey of the proposed route, and recently, the Katihar division of the NFR sent a proposal to the Railway Board on it, said Das.

The proposal says the rail route will enter Bangladesh from Hilli and move through places like Ghoraghat, Palashbari and Gaibandha in northern stretches of Bangladesh, move through Brahmaputra and connect Mahendraganj of Tura.

"The stretch will be electrified. In the proposal sent to the Railway Board, it has been said that around Rs 7,000 crore would be required for the project, which includes a 10km bridge over Brahmaputra and an overbridge in Hilli," said a source in the NFR.

Das, along with some other members of the JMCC, met a delegation of Bangladesh at Zero Point in Hilli on Wednesday to discuss the proposed railway project.

"We asked them to approach the Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina so that we can meet her next month. We want to request her to see that all necessary help is extended by the Bangladesh government as the route will pass through Bangladesh's land," he said.

Sources in the Katihar division of NFR – the proposal has been mooted by this division – said they are waiting for instructions from the rail board and the ministry.

India plans rail route through Bangladesh to connect 2 states​

SOUTH ASIA

TBS Report
05 May, 2022, 06:40 pm
Last modified: 05 May, 2022, 07:27 pm

Rail route important for strategic and economic reasons, says JMCC head
1643801707_jamrail.jpg

Photo: Collected
The Indian government is planning to build a railway through Bangladesh to connect its northeastern state of Meghalaya with the rest of the country.

The Indian Railway has recently sent a proposal to the Railway Board, seeking approval of the project, railway sources said.

Bangladesh will become a connecting point between the two Indian states with the construction of this second rail route. As of now, there is only one route that connects the Northeast with the rest of India. It passes through New Jalpaiguri, New Cooch Behar, New Alipurduar and enters Assam.

A Meghalayan apolitical body, Joint Movement Committee for Corridor (JMCC), flagged the demand for a rail route to connect Hilli of South Dinajpur on the India-Bangladesh border, with Mahendraganj, a bordering town in Tura district of Meghalaya, reports Telegraph India.

Naba Kumar Das, head of JMCC, said he has been informed about the project proposal. "The rail route is important for strategic and economic reasons," he said.

"As of now, one has to travel around 600km to reach Tura from South Dinajpur via Siliguri. But if this route is opened, the distance will come down to 120km," he pointed out.

In 2017, the Indian Union Ministry of External Affairs had carried out a feasibility survey of the proposed route, and recently, the Katihar division of the NFR sent a proposal to the Railway Board on it, said Das.

The proposal says the rail route will enter Bangladesh from Hilli and move through places like Ghoraghat, Palashbari and Gaibandha in northern stretches of Bangladesh, move through Brahmaputra and connect Mahendraganj of Tura.

"The stretch will be electrified. In the proposal sent to the Railway Board, it has been said that around Rs 7,000 crore would be required for the project, which includes a 10km bridge over Brahmaputra and an overbridge in Hilli," said a source in the NFR.

Das, along with some other members of the JMCC, met a delegation of Bangladesh at Zero Point in Hilli on Wednesday to discuss the proposed railway project.

"We asked them to approach the Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina so that we can meet her next month. We want to request her to see that all necessary help is extended by the Bangladesh government as the route will pass through Bangladesh's land," he said.

Sources in the Katihar division of NFR – the proposal has been mooted by this division – said they are waiting for instructions from the rail board and the ministry.

Utter fuc*ing nonsense.... as if anyone gives a damn about indian plans...

Better come with a signed teesta deal and a planes full of cash.... dumb hindutva retards...

What are you talking about the Teesta water when BD lets, whatever quantity of water it gets, allows to flow to the BoB?

Learn how to preserve the rainy season water for using it in the winter. BD is unable to manage Teesta and its water, and you are here to blame India. You are a Very funny guy without even a little trace of technical knowledge, just an imbecile!!

Are you not a white English man with two London flags? If so, what is there bad in Hidutva to you? Learn civility and learn how to write objectively, bloody Taliban. What relations your post has with the BD-India railway line project.

It seems, Taliban thinking does not even change occasionally!!! Discard it and be a good human being.
Hindutva is fascism and is bad for everyone.

I will post what i want and when I want you ridiculous little man. Why did you respond initially if teesta had no connection to this bizzare rail proposal? You can not seem to keep your thoughts aligned one sentence to the next.

You preach civility and move seemlessly on to insults. I can only assume your lack of coherence is the result of cow cola.

You are a racist islamaphobe of the worst hindutva kind and you will be called out for it.

What are you talking about the Teesta water when BD lets, whatever quantity of water it gets, allows to flow to the BoB?

Learn how to preserve the rainy season water for using it in the winter. BD is unable to manage Teesta and its water, and you are here to blame India. You are a Very funny guy without even a little trace of technical knowledge, just an imbecile!!

Good try Indian. Why dont your goverment start to behave like civilized, then we can start to talk.

I will post what i want and when I want you ridiculous little man. Why did you respond initially if teesta had no connection to this bizzare rail proposal? You can not seem to keep your thoughts aligned one sentence to the next.

You preach civility and move seemlessly on to insults. I can only assume your lack of coherence is the result of cow cola.

You are a racist islamaphobe of the worst hindutva kind and you will be called out for it.

For how long will this false flagger be allowed to play double games on this forum.

If BD people think that Hindutva is soo bad, then why it seeks protection and help from India? It should seek the same from your Taliban country Afghanistan.

Tell me which Taliban country has so far developed?

Good try Indian. Why dont your goverment start to behave like civilized, then we can start to talk.

For how long will this false flagger be allowed to play double games on this forum.
Dont know, some are still under the impression this guy is a BD.

If BD people think that Hindutva is soo bad, then why it seeks protection and help from India? It should seek the same from your Taliban country Afghanistan.

Tell me which Taliban country has so far developed?
Ummm. Lets see whose GDP per capita is higher between BD and india? Who has better social indicators in almost every field? Whose people live longer?

Case closed.... want to trot out any more hindutva talking points you memorised from your Bakht school?

Last edited:

Why don't you criticize my translation? You seem to be very weak in English and imagination. Please change your flags to two BD ones. This will match your face, skin color and intellectual capacity.

Where do you live? Is it in a fishing village of Barisal?

Why don't you criticize my translation? You seem to be very weak in English and imagination. Please change your flags to two BD ones. This will match your face, skin color and intellectual capacity.

Where do you live? Is it in a fishing village of Barisal?

LOL..... cat got your tongue?..... i did not even have to mention the mass street-shitting a la hindutva....

পন্ডিতেরা কয়, দশটা গাধা একসাথ হইলেও নাকি একটা ঘোড়ার সমান হইতে পারেনা। তা , আপনারা দুই গাধা একসাথ হইয়া কোন লাভ হইবো? দুইজনেই দেখি আবার ধলা চামড়ার লন্ডনী বেশরম গাধা। ঠিকমতো ঘাস খাইতে কিন্তু ভুইলেন্ না। চাপা পিটাইতে ছাপার জোর অর্জন করতে হইবোনা ?

this seems nothing to do with Hindutva. it seems as if you're using it as a codeword for Hindu or India. try to do better.

Au Contraire Mon Frère.

Most Bangladeshis do know the difference.

What amazes us non-Indians is that how a person like Modi can assume the seat of the PM and can drag Indian economy down like he has been, without people coming out in the street in mass protests.

Seems a large number of people in India are without a backbone.

Back
Top Bottom