What's new

India-Pakistan Wimbledon double act defy hostility

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score

By Robin Millard
Sat Jun 27

LONDON (AFP) – India's Prakash Amritraj and Pakistan's Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi insist they are "brothers" on the tennis court and the political enmity between their countries will never threaten their double act.

The pair believe their tennis doubles partnership shows sport can transcend the boundaries between people -- and say the warm response to their joining forces shows how the situation has shifted in recent years.

Amritraj and Qureshi, who are taking on the world's best doubles teams on the big stage at Wimbledon, say their bond is getting closer with every match.

"On almost every subject, we're on the same wavelength," Amritraj told AFP at the All England Club.

"If the chemistry off the court is good, it definitely translates into on-court success.

"We see each other as brothers and to be doing well on a stage like this, I look at it as a positive thing.

"A lot of people can benefit from looking to sport to solve a lot of problems," the world number 154 added.

"You find a big international event like this, you find an Indian and a Pakistani playing together, and all differences -- colour, creed, everything -- go out the window.

"You're fighting for a common cause on the court and it's a beautiful thing. The only thing you have to lean on is each other. A lot of people can benefit from that attitude.

"The politics never comes into it. He could be purple with polka dots for all I care," he said, gesturing towards his partner.

Amritraj, whose father Vijay was one of India's most popular tennis stars, is a US citizen who was born and lives in California. The 25-year-old is currently banned from playing for India under new non-resident rules he hopes to overcome.

Lahore-based Qureshi, 29, is no stranger to controversial doubles partnerships -- nor difficulties with the national authorities.

In 2002, his decision to play doubles at Wimbledon with Israel's Amir Hadad was denounced by the Pakistani tennis federation, which threatened to ban him from the Davis Cup team.

But there has been no repeat of the furore this time, showing how attitudes have moved on in the intervening years, according to Pakistan's top player.

"People in Pakistan have been wishing me all the best," Qureshi told AFP.

"I'm glad they're able to realise that sport is bigger than all the religions, colours, cultures.

"Things have changed and I think they got the message that what they were doing was really wrong.

"There were a few extremists who were trying to disturb my career but I stuck to what I believe in and I still believe in that: if I can do well with an Israeli or Indian player, I'll play with him.

"Still, there has been so much going on between India and Pakistan politically but I never once thought of that when I'm playing with Prakash -- or even when I'm not.

"I just hope I can send a positive message," he added.

And the effect seems to be working at Wimbledon.

"Whether they were Indians or Pakistanis in the crowd, they forgot, they were cheering for one team," Qureshi said.

"I was hugging his parents, they were kissing me, he went to greet my parents after the match," the world number 278 added.

The pair face the fourth seeds, Indian doubles master Mahesh Bhupathi and Bahamian Mark Knowles, in the third round.

"My goal is to promote tennis in Pakistan and the only way is to do well in the biggest tournaments in the world. I'm very pleased that he's the guy next to me," Qureshi said.

Amritraj added: "We feel really confident, really good about ourselves. If we focus on what we need to do then I think we've got a good shot against anyone."

Nice Article Neo Sir.

Honestly never heard of Qureshi... I know Pakistan is WC in Squash though..

Qureshi is pretty frequent on the Indian tennis circuit. Don't think they have a chance though. Bhupati and Knowles are too good.

This is a laudable step. We neeed to have more interaction in sports to create a thaw in the current impasse. The top leadership on both sides needs to be forced into realizing that friendship with mutual respect is the goal of both the nation and any effort to the contrary will not be tolerated.
Araz

I can woop both of them on clay. anyday - with me and my babolat aero pro. lol

But good going by both of them ay!! i think a better infrastructure and opportunity on financial front. and there i see better player coming from India and pakistan
-

aisam ul haq qureshi is good player - he got a nice serve and played well on baseline. seem him play. if i have nto mistaken he was once under immance pressure from Pakistani media for - playing with a israeli player and reachign the third round .

he need lot of polishing though. and at least some support from pakistani media and people. but i hope he wont end up becoming - like - sanian mirza !!!!

^^^Yep I heard that as well, but not sure him playing with or against an Israeli player.

why is there hostility about this ? theres a few other indo-pak acts such josh the band is one aswell as madhu and suleiman who were hugely popular runners up on britain's got talent.

Back
Top Bottom