What's new

India offers 20 mln dollars in new flood aid to Pakistan

newman

New Recruit

Reaction score
http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...ln-dollars-in-new-flood-aid-to-pakistan-zj-01

NEW DELHI: India on Tuesday offered another 20 million dollars in flood aid to Pakistan, the country's foreign minister said, boosting efforts to build goodwill between the estranged neighbours.

S.M. Krishna told parliament a fresh installment of 20 million dollars would boost India's total aid contributions for Pakistan to 25 million dollars.

“As a more concrete assessment of the damage inflicted by this natural disaster and the urgent needs of the people of Pakistan emerges, government has decided to increase its assistance to Pakistan from five million dollars,” he said.

Earlier this month, Islamabad described the initial offer as a “very welcome initiative” by India as the two countries look to get a stalled peace process back on track.

They have made major efforts in recent months to build confidence in their relations, which were badly strained by the Mumbai 2008 terror attacks, which India blamed on militants from Pakistan.

Pakistan initially delayed accepting India's first offer of flood aid, leading the United States to publicly urge Islamabad not to let rivalry stand in the way of helping its citizens in flood-ravaged regions.

Krishna said 20 million dollars would be sent to the UN-sponsored “Pakistan Initial Floods Emergency Response Plan” while the balance of five million dollars would go to the World Food Programme for its relief efforts.

The floods have left 1,645 people dead and 2,479 injured, according to the latest count, but officials warn that millions are at risk from food shortages and disease. —AFP

will this be given directly, or will it be routed via UN like the last 5m$?

Most probably via UN. Pakistan made it clear they will not take direct aid and relief goods. I think it doesn't matter through whom we are giving if it helps the people.

Most probably via UN. Pakistan made it clear they will not take direct aid and relief goods. I think it doesn't matter through whom we are giving if it helps the people.

u need to be very noble for that. Are we THAT good?:rolleyes:

another 20 million dollars!!! :toast_sign:
guys anybody give the list of aid donor countries for pakistan. who is first in the list? i think its US. how much china gave?:pop:

so what is government doing in leh why not if pak does not want goi use this money for our own suffer people. why they want to give money if they dnt accept. and why they accepting from UN route. if they want why not they ask.
Funny they want money and other indian aid but though UN route. Im not against it but this is ridicules.

@subject17
its not at all a shame
infact we should be proud that india is ready to route its assistance through UN
it shows that india has no egocentric problems when its neighbour is in need
jai hind

@GK2010
yaar "first in the list is not the right way of looking at it
INDIA is doing what it can to assist its neighbour admist al its dificulties and shouldnt be compared to anyone
their might be other economies which could provide more or less aid than india but none should be compared

another 20 million dollars!!! :toast_sign:
guys anybody give the list of aid donor countries for pakistan. who is first in the list? i think its US. how much china gave?:pop:

Saudi Arabia is first with $150 million in aid with US a close second. Ofcourse US is also the only other country that is providing extensive chopper and direct relief effort in Pakistan,

China provided about 17.5million USD till now with a relief team as well.

India is around 25 million USD till present. A400 doctor relief team was planned to go and they have applied visa at the Pakistani embassy with no response as of now. Hydebad based COVA is doing this but dunno if humanity will triump over politics.

Last edited:
Saudi Arabia is first with $150 million in aid with US a close second. Ofcourse US is also theonly other country that is providing extensive chopper and direct relief effort in Pakistan,

China provided about 17.5million USD till now with a relief team as well.

India is around 25 million USD till present. A400 doctor relief team was planned to go and they have applied visa at the Pakistani embassy with no response as of now. Hydebad based COVA is doing this but dunno if humanity will triump over politics.

so india donated MORE than china?

interesting.... :blink:

@GK2010
yaar "first in the list is not the right way of looking at it
INDIA is doing what it can to assist its neighbour admist al its dificulties and shouldnt be compared to anyone
their might be other economies which could provide more or less aid than india but none should be compared

i know that dude, u misunderstood me. i didnt mean to compare. even a single rupees given to poor and needy people with good heart is a great thing.
i simply wanted to know that how many countries are in aid donor list and how much.tats all no offense

25 million dollars of aid. This is mind boggling.

If I am not wrong this is the highest aid amount India has ever given to any country!

Back
Top Bottom