What's new

India: Nationwide strike call against demonetisation evokes mixed response

@Han Patriot

BJP winning local elections by land slides.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...tm_medium=Whatsapp&utm_campaign=show&from=mdr

Despite a lot of speculations over the possible political impact+of demonetisation on BJP's prospects in Gujarat, the party had a clean sweep in two municipalities and one taluka (block) panchayat elections and by-elections in 11 municipalities, seven district panchayats and 15 taluka panchayat seats.

BJP won 41 out of 44 seats in Vapi (Valsad district), 27 out of 28 seats in Kanakpur-Kansad (Surat) municipalities.
Out of 22 seats in Gondal taluka Panchayat, BJP won 18. The district panchayat by-election results have not upset the party either as five district panchayats out of seven turned saffron.

Out of 15 taluka panchayat by-elections, BJP won five while the congress won four. Elections on other seats were postponed due to technical reasons.

"Over the last few days we have seen the results of various polls, Parliamentary, Assembly & local polls across India. Be it the Northeast, West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat...BJP has performed very well. I thank the people.These results across India illustrate that people want all-round progress of the nation & will not tolerate corruption & misgovernance," PM Narendra Modi tweeted, hailing the poll results.
Guys,

I am kinda lazy to argue. I have nothing against BJP, and personally I think BJP is a more patriotic party than congress. However, this does not mean your demonetization process was not a screw up. Again, I have nothing against demonetization to combat corruption, but what Modi had done is a screw up. If I am not mistaken, you will see the effects soon enough. Please don't reply this post, I rest my case. You can choose to think India is shinning now, I can't stop you.

Guys,

I am kinda lazy to argue. I have nothing against BJP, and personally I think BJP is a more patriotic party than congress. However, this does not mean your demonetization process was not a screw up. Again, I have nothing against demonetization to combat corruption, but what Modi had done is a screw up. If I am not mistaken, you will see the effects soon enough. Please don't reply this post, I rest my case. You can choose to think India is shinning now, I can't stop you.

No argument, I don't wanna either, it is pointless. Just giving information.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...or-cashless-payments/articleshow/55675151.cms

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...edium=referral&utm_campaign=ETFBMain&from=mdr

The country is going cashless, or 'less-cash', before Modi finishes his term. Expect another round of demonetization over the next 2 years.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...s-accounts-in-2-days/articleshow/55648347.cms

We are going big with Internet as well.
http://tech.firstpost.com/news-anal...-is-unlike-any-in-the-world-today-333002.html
Reliance Jio 4G: Future plan to bring 1Gbps broadband to 100 Indian cities is unlike any in the world today

2014:
http://telecom.economictimes.indiat...d-service-on-fibre-across-900-cities/35393443
Reliance Jio will provide broadband internet services in 900 cities and towns using optical fibre for which it has finalised agreements with partners required for the roll-out.

This was the estimate for digital payments before demonetization.
http://www.livemint.com/Industry/M6...-India-seen-touching-500-billion-by-2020.html

But after demonetization, things are looking much more rosy for digital payment companies.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...st-thing-to-happen-to-indian-digital-payments

We are setting a precedent for other developing countries to follow in our footsteps.

There is a side-issue going on that is not reported in foreign press.

The new 2000 rupees note has 2000 written in Devanagari script. It is unconstitutional because Indian constitution says all numbers should be in international script. Devanagari numbers are prohibited.

A number of lawsuits were filed by individuals from some non-Hindi states including Tamil Nadu and West Bengal. Supreme Court consolidated all of them and will hear the petition in December.

In my opinion, Modi government should be dismissed for violating the constitution.

The new 2000 rupees note has 2000 written in Devanagari script. It is unconstitutional because Indian constitution says all numbers should be in international script. Devanagari numbers are prohibited.

A number of lawsuits were filed by individuals from some non-Hindi states including Tamil Nadu and West Bengal. Supreme Court consolidated all of them and will hear the petition in December.

In my opinion, Modi government should be dismissed for violating the constitution.

LOL.... can you quote provision of the constitution that gives directive to mention numbers in "international script" ? :cheesy:

India: Nationwide strike call against demonetisation evokes mixed response
Shutdown almost total in opposition-ruled states of Kerala and West Bengal.
  • November 28, 2016 12:15 GMT
]
A man holds placards and shouts slogans during a rally organized by India's main opposition Congress party against the government's decision to withdraw 500 and 1000 Indian rupee banknotes from circulation, in MumbaiShailesh Andrade/Reuters
A nationwide strike call against the government led by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the demonetisation of currency notes evoked partial response. While normal life was affected in certain parts of the country, it was business as usual in most major cities and towns.

Some opposition-ruled states like Kerala and West Bengal witnessed a near total shutdown.

Mamata Banerjee, the chief minister of West Bengal who has been spearheading the anti-government protests over the last two weeks, held a huge rally in Kolkata in eastern India. Banerjee, who has been demanding that the government roll back the demonetisation scheme,: "Today, I am taking pledge that either I'll die or live but will remove PM Modi from Indian politics. Dictatorship won't work."

"We have one thing to say – withdraw the decision. Such a thing [demonetisation of currency notes] has never happened in any country. Even Hitler would not have thought of such a thing," she added.

On 8 November, Modi declared the country's then highest-valued banknotes of Rs 500 (£6) and Rs 1000 (£12), which account for 86% of the circulation of currency in terms of value, would cease to be legal tender. The step plunged the country into a serious cash crunch sending the informal-yet-vibrant parallel economy into a tailspin. Financial institutions have been grappling with the situation in the face of shortage of newly-printed banknotes and infrastructure.

The government, which has implemented a series of measures [/URL]to cushion the impact of the blow, is determined that there will be no rollback.

The opposition has paralysed parliament in protest against the demonetisation. "This deadlock can only end when the PM comes for discussion in the house,"the Congress party's Mallikarjun Kharge, senior opposition leader in the lower house.
Hilarious, neighborhood excited by strike of workers of a political party.
I hope polls may clarify whose side public will lean.
More miserable thing is that people have to quote Al Jazeera or some British paper for the bs.

A well written and fascinating article getting right to the core issues affecting modern India nowadays. This is the 4th part of a series of articles, written by Jayant Bhandari, himself grew up in India.

~~~~~~~
Gold Price Skyrockets in India after Currency Ban – Part IV

Author: Jayant Bhandari - 2016-11-30

The Indian Prime Minister announced on 8th November 2016 that Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 banknotes would no longer be legal tender. Linked are Part-I, Part-II and Part-III updates on the rapidly encroaching police state.

The economic and social mess that Modi has created is unprecedented. It will go down in history as an epitome of naivety and arrogance due to Modi’s self-centered desire to increase tax-collection at any cost.

Politicians within Modi’s party and in the opposition have struggled to oppose Modi effectively, for they are all corrupt. Given the irrationality..., people tend to communicate in slogans and sound-bites, not through argumentation. The slogan they have been given by Modi is: If you oppose demonetization, you are hiding unaccounted for, corrupt money.

Banning 88% of the monetary value of the currency in circulation, which catered to 97% of consumer transactions, meant that the economy went into a traumatic shock, throwing financial commitments and contracts out of gear. Now a vicious cycle is underway.

[Here are my own remarks:] Sounds quite similar to the NSA's defense to Edward Snowden's leaks: "If one has nothing evil to hide, why will he/she care about all the pervasive spying & eavesdropping acts upon the populations by NSA and other agencies."

Personally, I do believe a cashless society will allow a full control by state to the population, gov will be able to track every spending of each individual, and to freeze any account at will. Several countries in the West have been experimenting with the great pushes towards the cashless society to some extent at present, with the Sweden is the most progressive one. The giant bank, Citicorp, is among the forefront advocates of the cashless society! Just watch out closely.

Read the full article at Acting Man (sorry, please search the said link, can't post it due to restriction)

Last edited:

Modi keep on winning every election after the other. Here is the news after note ban.

No Note Ban Impact as BJP Wins Maharashtra ‘Mini Assembly’ Polls

https://www.thequint.com/politics/2...ni-assembly-polls-municipal-council-elections

Banks get $30 billion deposit boost after ban on higher currency notes

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/banks-get-30-billion-deposit-boost-after-ban-higher-currency-notes-703760

There were 3 bye-polls in Tamil Nadu last month. BJP lost DEPOSIT in all three.

There were 3 bye-polls in Tamil Nadu last month. BJP lost DEPOSIT in all three.

BJP has never held power there. In South India, only one state has BJP in power and that was only for a short time.

2014 election map. Orange is BJP.
india-parliamentary-result.jpg

Actually , congress withdrew bandh call fearing no support.

Congress should wait and see. This move of the government itself is going to prove futile. Nothing changes.

Black money is not much in cash. Fake currency figure is also peanuts.

The task of printing is huge itself

A well written and fascinating article getting right to the core issues affecting modern India nowadays. This is the 4th part of a series of articles, written by Jayant Bhandari, himself grew up in India.

~~~~~~~
Gold Price Skyrockets in India after Currency Ban – Part IV

Author: Jayant Bhandari - 2016-11-30

The Indian Prime Minister announced on 8th November 2016 that Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 banknotes would no longer be legal tender. Linked are Part-I, Part-II and Part-III updates on the rapidly encroaching police state.

The economic and social mess that Modi has created is unprecedented. It will go down in history as an epitome of naivety and arrogance due to Modi’s self-centered desire to increase tax-collection at any cost.

Politicians within Modi’s party and in the opposition have struggled to oppose Modi effectively, for they are all corrupt. Given the irrationality..., people tend to communicate in slogans and sound-bites, not through argumentation. The slogan they have been given by Modi is: If you oppose demonetization, you are hiding unaccounted for, corrupt money.

Banning 88% of the monetary value of the currency in circulation, which catered to 97% of consumer transactions, meant that the economy went into a traumatic shock, throwing financial commitments and contracts out of gear. Now a vicious cycle is underway.

[Here are my own remarks:] Sounds quite similar to the NSA's defense to Edward Snowden's leaks: "If one has nothing evil to hide, why will he/she care about all the pervasive spying & eavesdropping acts upon the populations by NSA and other agencies."

Personally, I do believe a cashless society will allow a full control by state to the population, gov will be able to track every spending of each individual, and to freeze any account at will. Several countries in the West have been experimenting with the great pushes towards the cashless society to some extent at present, with the Sweden is the most progressive one. The giant bank, Citicorp, is among the forefront advocates of the cashless society! Just watch out closely.

Read the full article at Acting Man (sorry, please search the said link, can't post it due to restriction)
Not sky rocketing but something required occured, for details:
Google search:
"Gold recovers on firm global cues, jewellers’ buying - Livemint"
Because just like you, I have also no privileges of posting links.

Congress should wait and see. This move of the government itself is going to prove futile. Nothing changes.

Black money is not much in cash. Fake currency figure is also peanuts.

The task of printing is huge itself
Why so much interested in Indian Politics?
If you guys really like INC, carry'em to your country, we'll be grateful to you.

On Topic: ₹14.5 lakh crores already printed.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom