What's new

India names two Olympic men's tennis teams

KRAIT

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The All India Tennis Association (AITA) has decided to send two men's doubles teams to compete in the 2012 Olympics.

Leander Paes would pair with Vishnu Vardhan while Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna would make the second team, AITA president Anil Khanna said.

The decision follows a public row among the players over their partnerships.

Both Bhupathi and Bopanna had refused to play with Paes who, in turn, said he would not play at all if Bhupathi and Bopanna were sent as a team.

Leander Paes will also partner India's top female player Sania Mirza in the mixed doubles, the AITA announced.

Bhupathi and Bopanna said they were "delighted with the decision" but is was not yet known if Paes - India's number one and world number 7 - had accepted the AITA decision.

Mr Khanna has appealed to Paes "to accept this decision [to play in the Olympics] in the interest of the nation".

Originally, the AITA had asked Mahesh Bhupathi to partner Leander Paes.

After Bhupathi's refusal to partner Paes, the sports authority asked Bopanna who also declined the invitation.

Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi won three grand slam titles at the pinnacle of their partnership in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

The deadline for announcing the Olympics team is on Thursday evening.

BBC News - India names two Olympic men's tennis teams

-------------------------
P.S. Job done my friend. :)

Good to see this type of sport taking off in our region. India must have a massive pool of talent to dip into..

Good to see this type of sport taking off in our region. India must have a massive pool of talent to dip into..

Well Three of our five player Squad have won Grand Slam

Atleast in Doubles and mixed double we are confident of medals

But according to me Sania Mirza should have paired with Mahesh Bhupati , Since Mahesh and Sania have won the Australian open and French open together

While Leander Paes is more successful in Men's double

where is Somdev ??? I thought he is good for doubles too, is it injury ??

Its unjustice to the patriotic fighter like Leander paes. First he is the best player we have and he has to play with lower ranking player. Regarding mixed doubles Sania's participation depends upon wild card entry.Nothing has finalised yet on that front. Its not the way to treat player like Leander Paes.

Paes is not ready to pair with vardhan.

Why should he? He deserves a high ranking partner. He has always given more than 100% playing for the country. AITA should ban B&B.

I thought he had a shoulder injury and was recovering?

The news is Somdev will recover in time for the Olympics but AITA did not want to take any chances.

Bhupathi and Bopanna have played equally well ..
In doubles , you need lots of practice , co-ordination .. You just can't pair anyone with XYZ player ..

Bhupathi Nd Bopanna were playing together for the past one year .. They deserve to be together as much as Leandar Paes needs a high ranked partner

Just hope Somdev is back from Injury

Back
Top Bottom